Coolsat 8000 HD or Coolsat 8100 HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
As most of you already know I really like the OpenBox S9 HD PVR receiver that I purchased last year. However, I wish the graphics looked better and it supported manual PID entry and channel scans.

Now I'm looking for a second DVB-S2 HD PVR receiver for the bedroom and began thinking about possibly purchasing a Coolsat 8000 or Coolsat 8100 HD PVR receiver. What are the differences? Also if you own an 8100 would you please post some screenshots, so that I can compare them to those seen in Iceberg's review of the 8000.

Also where could I purchase a Coolsat 8100 HD PVR receiver?

The Coolsat 8000/8100 are only available as used boxes. Coolsat is out of business, essentially. The basic difference is the 8100 has a USB port for an external hard drive, and functions as a PVR, as well as a receiver. I don't think you'll find any better graphics on the CS8000 than the Openbox, but manual PID entry is easy, and it is an easy receiver to work with. I enjoy occasionally in another room. No blindscan, but the Openbox can do that nicely for you.
Ebay or Craigslist are your primary sources for either of these boxes. I wouldn't pay more than $100 .
Hope this helps.
:)

its also not possible to enter ac3 audio pids with the coolsats. also there is a max of 31 diseqc 1.2 positions available. those 2 and the fan stays on in standby were what drove me to sell my 8100.

crackt,.

It's too bad the big boys like Motorola, Panasonic, Drake, DX Antenna, Uniden, Channel Master and others don't manufacture digital satellite receivers like they did with analog receivers in the 80's.

Iceberg said:
you can add a fan to the 8000....few folks did that

Yes. I have a computer fan that sits next to my 8000 and my 9200 and blows air on both of them since they sit one on top of the other. Never had any trouble with either receiver getting too warm. In fact the cases are actually quite cool to the touch. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I mounted a 12v fan on top of my CS8000, for use when I had it in a restricted airflow area ( above my TV) . Never had to use the fan , unless the stb was on that enclosed shelf above the TV.
:)

Azbox or Openbox are good choices , as modern receivers. They have different strengths . I have two Openbox and one Azbox and still a CS8000, since it , too, has it's good points. Can't have too many, but you CAN pay too much !! Still have a CS5000 hooked up for occasional blindscanning with it, too. :)

I have a CS8000 & an AZBox Elite.

For our "everyday viewer", we use the CS8000 b/c it's been pretty easy for my wife to figure out how to change channels & satellites with it. To me, the cs8000 is an excellent tool to have for just watching TV. It's tuner seems to be more sensitive for marginal feeds than the azbox or my CS5000. So if the data is known for manual scanning purposes, it does a good job of picking up signals.

If you can get one of these for $100 or less delivered, you might be happy you did, regardless of what you decide to do in the future with acquiring an AZbox or Opensat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)