Coolsat 8000 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

youngmon

Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Coolsat 8000HD Questions

:cool: Hi, Youngmon here with a question about the Coolsat 8000 HD receiver. I recently purchased this receiver for the HD feature, however, the quality seems worse than my viewsat xtreme. I have an HD TV, I've gone to an HD channel, have the proper cables, but still not getting the HD quality. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks! :eek:

I subscribe to DN and thought this receiver provided HD quality with DN and FTA channels.

nope. The Coolsat 8000 will only get HD channels from FTA. Currently the only 24/7 KU channel is PBS on AMC3...the rest are feeds

are you sure it doesnt upconvert sd ? a friend of mine was showing me his 8000 and the quality was awefull, the sd was an overcompressed feed and it basically looked like the ird was trying to upconvert to progressive scan, fast motion had bad motion lines and slow moving video you could clearly see the blocking like as if the sharpness had been turned way up.

Well, I go on what the phone CSR and the email response I got from coolsatusa a while back.

here's the part on the SD stuff from the email I got in response to questions I asked them

"No, unfortunately, the 8000 does not do any sort of signal manipulation such as upscale/upconvert. The only thing that is done is change the output resolutions to match what the unit puts out. Which can at times result in poor SD picture translation"

I guess this means if the incoming picture is 480 and the 8000 only seems to have the output resolutions for 1080i, 720p and some pal stuff at 576 that the picture might be made worse.
edit:
Oddly, in the manul it states different resolution outputs than the specs on the website. Either way I was going off the info I got from the reps on the upconversion

Last edited:
it wont upconvert. When I tune to a SD channel, it says 480i on the little icon on the reciever

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)