Coolsat 8000 Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
Hi I have a coolsat 8000 and on some of my channels it will not go to the correct location sometimes. I have it set to USALS and when I go to antenna setup and go to position it goes to the proper position. When I go to the channel on the same satellite it seems to move a few steps. How do I lock the channels so they all go to their USALS position when I change the channel?

Sounds like your due south positioning is off a few steps. Adjust the motor on the pole. Or if you believe you are right on the whole arc , adjust and reset 0 position per instructions with your motor.

Intermittant positioning problems would indicate a physical problem with the mount or dish such as worn or loose parts. I f you could have someone operate the motor while you observe the movenent, you might see a problem. Or just do a wiggle and shake test. And inspect all the nuts and bolts. I found my SG2100 had slop at the mast to motor shaft connection if that bolt was not real tight.

if I scan to channels on the satellite the quality is fine and when I switch from one satellite and then back to it the signal still seems ok but the picture messes up. When I power off the tuner and then back on the picture comes in fine. I am puzzled. I rechecked all of the mounts and they are good.

It seems to me that this receiver is more stable on quality levels and does not fluctuate as opposed to openbox and sv8000 on c band at least.

the signal meter can be deceiving on the 8000

When I had one if the signal quality on other meters were close to 75 or so it would show 99 on the 8000

Sadly, the meter on the Openbox is flawed as well. I've never seen a quality reading above 76Q on the Openbox, while the same transponder being received with the same dish reads in the 90s for quality on both the Visionsats and my Pansat 2700.

I'll say it again, the Openbox is great hardware with flawed and incomplete firmware. It kinda reminds me of the Visionsat IV-200 when it first came out, before Brian developed and fine-tuned the firmware to make that a great box.

Well my Coolsat up and reboot last night. Then it shuts off. I read all the other threads but after it shuts down the standby light flashes. Someone put a fan in it before I bought it. I am not sure what went wrong because it wasn't very hot when it started acting up. I would really like to get this receiver working again. I was just about ready to set it up in my living room now that I have enough channels programmed into it.

I tried turning it on this morning and the standby button just flashed. I took the cover off and the board was covered in dust. I vacuumed everything and now the receiver works ok. Hopefully it just overheated or something and quits acting up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)