Coolsat: Add Current Channel as Favorite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

equant

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Is there an easy way to add the current channel to a favorites list on a Coolsat 4000?

If I do... menu -> channels -> set favorites -> select favorite from list ... not only do I not consider that "easy", it also ends up on a channel that's not the one I'm watching, and I have to scroll to find the channel I want and then add it to the favorite list I selected.

Thanks for any help

Is there an easy way to add the current channel to a favorites list on a Coolsat 4000?

If I do... menu -> channels -> set favorites -> select favorite from list ... not only do I not consider that "easy", it also ends up on a channel that's not the one I'm watching, and I have to scroll to find the channel I want and then add it to the favorite list I selected.

Thanks for any help

Using that method and the remote is tedious and rather cumbersome.

The best way that I know how is to use Channel Master editing software. You can creat the favorite lists, edit and rename them and select the channels that you want to install into the favorites list.

It still isn't all that easy, but it is more quick.

You will have to use the loader program for the Coolsat 5000 as Channel Master does not import or export directly from/to the Coolsat 5000. So I upload the channel list from the receiver, save it in a folder. Open the file with Channel Master and make the edits that I desire, save the file. Then I open the file with the loader program and download it back to the receiver.

You will want to write down your switch and LNBF type settings and re-enter them later as sometimes these get altered during this process. Something to do with the incompatibility between Channel Master and the Coolsat's source code.

I suggest that when you upload the channel data to your PC, that you make a copy of this file and use the copy file to do your editing and never open the original file with Channel Master, that will be your backup file.

If you Google SharpC Channel Master, you whould find the site to download the program. It works really well if you can work around the few minor glitches.

Radar

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Radar. Do the newer Coolsats (6000, 7000, 8000) have a better interface for this? I'd rather not have to use either method (poor remote interface or computer editing) to add a new channel to my favorites every time I discover a new channel I like.

The 7000 & 8000 are totally different menus/interface than the 4/5/6000 units

The 8000 wont work with Channelmaster

Thanks for the reply Radar. Do the newer Coolsats (6000, 7000, 8000) have a better interface for this? I'd rather not have to use either method (poor remote interface or computer editing) to add a new channel to my favorites every time I discover a new channel I like.

The 7000 & 8000 are totally different menus/interface than the 4/5/6000 units

The 8000 wont work with Channelmaster

Equant,

The 4K, 5K and 6K are all the same in this regard. I don't know about the 6100/7100 models. But, as Ice mentioned, the 8000 series doesn't work with Channel Master at all. It has to use it's own channel editor (I think) and I don't know if they made the favorite list setup any easier with the remote.

For the 4K, 5K, 6K and Channel Master, you can do some very nice things. For one thing, you can move multiple channels into a favorite group at once by left clicking on all the channels you want with Ctrl button button held down, then right click to open an option menu and select ADD TO FAVs.

Radar

Ok thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I'm probably a year away from buying a new receiver, but I'd like to get one that makes adding favorites easier than the CS4k. I like the way my Visionsat does it, but of course that receiver's not perfect either. ;)

Ok thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I'm probably a year away from buying a new receiver, but I'd like to get one that makes adding favorites easier than the CS4k. I like the way my Visionsat does it, but of course that receiver's not perfect either. ;)

You are welcome!

Hey, you never know, someone might come out with another fantastic receiver that does what you desire in that time! Personally, I started out with the Coolsat 5000 and I have bought many others and have been given several free of charge to test and the Coolsat 5000 wins my vote, everytime, hands down!

The Coolsat 4, 5 and 6K models are the epitomy of FTA receivers.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)