Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal

I cannot telly you how many times I wish I could do the same thing to slow drivers in the fast lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst is when people get in the carpool lane and drive slow. You are stuck behind them until the next carpool lane exit

Awesome! I hate when a slow car won't move over. Good job officer! :D

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Good job? He should have simply pulled the driver over and ticketed them, not tailgated them for however long he did.

What was cool was he did not ticket the guy for driving too slow, he simply moved him over to the slow lane and then got back into the fast lane.

Good job? He should have simply pulled the driver over and ticketed them, not tailgated them for however long he did.
True. I think he was trying to determine how long it would take the driver to get the message, "Move the ____________ over!"

JAG72 said:
Ticket him for what? He wasn't going that much slower than everybody else.

Impeding traffic. You can get a ticket for doing the speed limit in a fast lane or passing lane when it is possible to do the same speed in another lane, particularly if you are impeding others from passing or going faster.

When I was at traffic school for a ticket, the officer said it is possible to get a ticket for impeding traffic even if you are going over the speed limit as long as it is possible to move over and allow others to pass

He did do the proper thing IMO. Instead of ticketing the person for doing the speed limit (if he was), he simply moved him over to the lane where his speed was more appropriate

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Impeding traffic. You can get a ticket for doing the speed limit in a fast lane or passing lane when it is possible to do the same speed in another lane, particularly if you are impeding others from passing or going faster.

When I was at traffic school for a ticket, the officer said it is possible to get a ticket for impeding traffic even if you are going over the speed limit as long as it is possible to move over and allow others to pass

He did do the proper thing IMO. Instead of ticketing the person for doing the speed limit (if he was), he simply moved him over to the lane where his speed was more appropriate

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

That would be the easiest ticket to contest and get out of IMO. I know that you can't impede traffic but doing the speed limit is not impeding traffic IMO.

That would be the easiest ticket to contest and get out of IMO. I know that you can't impede traffic but doing the speed limit is not impeding traffic IMO.
It is when it is possible to move over to allow others to pass, particularly when the "other" is an emergency or law enforcement vehicle.

It is when it is possible to move over to allow others to pass, particularly when the "other" is an emergency or law enforcement vehicle.

Only when the law enforcement or emergency vehicle have their lights on.

I do hate when people don't get over but I also hate when law enforcement doesn't follow the laws themselves. Unless they have their lights on they should drive the speed limit just like everybody else.

Only when the law enforcement or emergency vehicle have their lights on.
Not necessarily. Law enforcement often needs to "speed" even without their lights to get somewhere faster. This is particularly true with Highway Patrol or State Troopers. They have to speed to catch up to certain drivers in order to clock them before they light the person up.

That is besides the point though. I do agree with you completely. I am simply stating the law, at least here in CA. Even my police officer cousins have confirmed that it is possible to legal impede traffic while going over the speed limit.
I do hate when people don't get over but I also hate when law enforcement doesn't follow the laws themselves. Unless they have their lights on they should drive the speed limit just like everybody else.
This is where we disagree. Law enforcement has to be able to speed even without their lights on. This is one strategy they use to catch speeding drivers on a highway. It is difficult to catch up to them unnoticed if they have lights flashing to attract their attention. This was a state trooper, whose job is to patrol the highways.

Here is the section of the vehicle code for impeding traffic in Arkansas

I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic '27-51-208(b)
II. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle continuously in the left lane of a multi-lane roadway whenever it impedes the flow of other traffic. '27-51-301(b)

Wisconsin

I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a speed so slow as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. '346.59(1)
II. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. '346.05(3)

California

22400 (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
21654 (b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

Last edited:
I fully understand why they do it but doesn't mean I don't have to like it. I have seen police officers cause accidents because of this practice.

Here is the section of the vehicle code for impeding traffic in Arkansas

I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic '27-51-208(b)
II. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle continuously in the left lane of a multi-lane roadway whenever it impedes the flow of other traffic. '27-51-301(b)

So what is normal and reasonable movement. Is 10 MPH over the speed limit reasonable? Great I just got a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit when I was blocking somebody trying to go 20MPH over. I know that these are out there but I still don't think that they are given out unless you are driving extra slow.

I fully understand why they do it but doesn't mean I don't have to like it. I have seen police officers cause accidents because of this practice.
How can they catch speeding drivers if they are not speeding themselves?

So what is normal and reasonable movement. Is 10 MPH over the speed limit reasonable? Great I just got a ticket for going 5 MPH over the speed limit when I was blocking somebody trying to go 20MPH over. I know that these are out there but I still don't think that they are given out unless you are driving extra slow.
I added more states upon after I edited my previous post.

Each state defines it differently. CA defines it as "normal speed of traffic". This means, as many police officers have confirmed, if the traffic is doing 95 in a 65 and you decide to get into the fast lane and do 85, you are impeding the normal speed of traffic and can be cited.

21654 (b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.

I don't know which state this video was taken, but I am sure their laws are similar to most of the others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)