Cop Screws with Slow Driver in the Fast Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each state defines it differently. CA defines it as "normal speed of traffic". This means, as many police officers have confirmed, if the traffic is doing 95 in a 65 and you decide to get into the fast lane and do 85, you are impeding the normal speed of traffic and can be cited.

I wouldn't say that 95 in a 65 is normal or reasonable flow. You can be ticketed for almost anything when it comes to this as the laws are vague but if they hold up with a judge is a different story.

We just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Of course, we would all like that. None of us would get a ticket. :p

I have not seen a police office catch a speeder by clocking them with their car in a very long time. Around here they pretty much only use radar, lasar or clocking via plane.

I wouldn't say that 95 in a 65 is normal or reasonable flow.
Here in CA it is. When there is not traffic, most in the fast lane are doing between 85 and 95
You can be ticketed for almost anything when it comes to this as the laws are vague but if they hold up with a judge is a different story.
That I completely agree. You will get no argument from me. We have laws that contradict other laws
We just have to agree to disagree on this subject.
We probably agree more than we disagree. We were just debating from two different angles.

I think you are making your point based mostly on your opinion or how things should be (which I happen to agree with you), and I was just pointing out how they actually are by showing the penal code as well as the instructed practice of law enforcement (much of which I disagree with, as do you)

What would have happened if the driver had slammed on his brakes and the cop had hit him? For a normal citizen, they would have received a ticket for following too closely. A cop would most certainly have been suspended for a period or even lost his job. What if there had been injuries or even a death? Cops aren't allowed to follow that close in a high speed chase!

I have not seen a police office catch a speeder by clocking them with their car in a very long time. Around here they pretty much only use radar, lasar or clocking via plane.
Can't do it on a 12 lane highway with hundreds of cars passing one area in just a few minutes. The only way to catch speeders on a multi-lane freeway, such as the one shown in the video, is to clock them.

The last two tickets I got, one in UT and one in CA, were speeding tickets from the highway patrol clocking me on a multi-lane freeway. They were both within the last 5 years. These were both towards the end of a long drive of over 700 miles and I began to lose my focus. Usually I am good at noticing highway patrol sneaking up on me or hiding behind or besides other vehicles

What would have happened if the driver had slammed on his brakes and the cop had hit him? For a normal citizen, they would have received a ticket for following too closely. A cop would most certainly have been suspended for a period or even lost his job. What if there had been injuries or even a death? Cops aren't allowed to follow that close in a high speed chase!
Here is a video of a driver brake checking a cop

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't do it on a 12 lane highway with hundreds of cars passing one area in just a few minutes. The only way to catch speeders on a multi-lane freeway, such as the one shown in the video, is to clock them.

They do it hear all of the time. I see people getting pulled over after getting hit with the radar on 10 lane express ways a couple times a week.

Here is a video of a driver brake checking a cop

He was most likely stopped for telling the cop he was "number one" when he was passing. I can't see that the cop would have pulled up to the side of him to just fall back and then stop him for brake checking him.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was most likely stopped for telling the cop he was "number one" when he was passing. I can't see that the cop would have pulled up to the side of him to just fall back and then stop him for brake checking him.
I was curious about that as well.

Here is the section of the vehicle code for impeding traffic in Arkansas

I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic '27-51-208(b)
II. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle continuously in the left lane of a multi-lane roadway whenever it impedes the flow of other traffic. '27-51-301(b)

I just wish it was enforced!!!

He could have been running the plates first explaining the delay and THEN decided to make him move once he found them clean. He did nothing wrong; people just love to hate on authority.

That would be the easiest ticket to contest and get out of IMO. I know that you can't impede traffic but doing the speed limit is not impeding traffic IMO.

Sure you can impede traffic going the speed limit if you will not yield to the right, even at the speed limit. The rule is; The Far left hand lane is for PASSING ONLY, once you pass the car in the slower lane, you are REQUIRED to move back to the right.

John

definitely deserved it! A single car stopping or slowing down traffic in the morning can result in a traffic jam in the afternoon!

Stuff like this proves stupidity is at epidemic proportions. :eek:

2004012307_Display-25.gif

Similar thing happened when I was driving down from the mountains last weekend.

That night the town of Wrightwood got about 1 foot of snow and the ski resort got about 2 feet. On the way up to the mountain the roads were still icy and snowy, but there were no chain requirement. My two wheel drive truck with no weight in the back went up the mountain road with no issues at all.

On the way back, about 90 minutes later with the sun out the roads were pretty much dry (even thought it was still in the 30s, the sun on black assault melts snow pretty quickly). I got behind a lady in a 4 wheel drive car doing about 20 mph in a 45 mph zone and she would slow down to about 10 mph every time she approached a very small wet spot. Within a mile or 2 down the road she must have had 15 cars behind her. I kept flashing my lights telling her to pull over using the turnouts. About a mile further down the road I see the cars behind me pulling over and flashing lights approaching. I pulled over the let the CHP car go by he then got behind the lady that was responsible for causing all of the traffic and pulled her over. It looked like he was going to ticket her or at least talked to about how to properly drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle on a dry mountain road.

Sure you can impede traffic going the speed limit if you will not yield to the right, even at the speed limit. The rule is; The Far left hand lane is for PASSING ONLY, once you pass the car in the slower lane, you are REQUIRED to move back to the right.

John

Ya, tell that to the everyday drivers on the way to work in the morning....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)