Copy a Starforce Protected CD?

jkohnman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
Hi,

Just got back from Mexico where I bought a disk of us swimming with the dolphins. A great, fun thing. However, I would like to make a backup of the disk they gave us (and I paid extra for). Turns out it's protected by something called Starforce DRM. I've been off and on trying out how to copy it today with no luck. All I can find is getting games that are starforce protected. Just want to backup my video.

Thanks
Jim

I doubt your cd came with Starforce protection. It is used to prevent copying video games. Most likely the driver is on your PC from a previously installed video game. Try a different computer. The only way to remove Starforce from your computer is to reinstall Windows.

I doubt your cd came with Starforce protection. It is used to prevent copying video games. Most likely the driver is on your PC from a previously installed video game. Try a different computer. The only way to remove Starforce from your computer is to reinstall Windows.

Ah... try the simplest solution first. :) Good advice. Gotta love Occam.

No, it said at the start that it was Starforce. I didn't see the drivers they say can get installed. After I tried to make a copy, I tried to show it to my wife tonight. Now the regular DVD player says that it's unformatted. However if I put it in a computer it works fine (so far). I'd never heard of it until now, and I don't like it at all.

Try a ripper like SmartRipper; it should remove the "protection" and allow you to save it to your HDD where you would be able to manipulate it and re-encode and burn as you see fit.