Copyright protection on Box

T_N_T

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Hendersonville,TN
I have the White Neu Lion Bo:mad:the one with the HDMI out) and a Magnavox MWD2205 VCR/DVD combo, I am trying to run White-Yellow-Red composite into the VCR and for some reason there is copyright protection on the Neu Lion Box. It is quite annoying as it distorts the picture and fades it dark. Is there any way to disable the copyright protection as it is almost unusable this way?

I have the White Neu Lion Bo:mad:the one with the HDMI out) and a Magnavox MWD2205 VCR/DVD combo, I am trying to run White-Yellow-Red composite into the VCR and for some reason there is copyright protection on the Neu Lion Box. It is quite annoying as it distorts the picture and fades it dark. Is there any way to disable the copyright protection as it is almost unusable this way?

You can record onto a series 2 Tivo, but can not transfer the recordings to a pc, vcr, etc. You should be able to purchase a series 2 Tivo with lifetime off ebay for $100 or so.

I have tired many times to get SA & Tivo to add remote code for the new White box, so the Tivo can change channels on the new box. It has now been about a year & I have finally given up on that ever happening.

Hmm, I had understood that you can't record on a Tivo 2 with the new white box. Do you also get an on-sreen program guide through Tivo with that box? Is there an audio out that would allow use of an FM transmitter with the new box?

Hmm, I had understood that you can't record on a Tivo 2 with the new white box. Do you also get an on-sreen program guide through Tivo with that box? Is there an audio out that would allow use of an FM transmitter with the new box?

Yes you can, I have the white box svideo, red & white audio going into a series 2 Sony Tivo, then from the Tivo svideo & audio going into a 42" Sony tv, also from the Sony Tivo other svideo & audio output I have going down 35' to a 46" Sony tv in my Media room. I also have a 35' HDMI cable going direct from the white SA box direct to the 46" Sony. I don't think all series 2 Tivos have dual outputs.

Yes, there is on-screen program guide, it does take a little while for the new sations to be added, like 310 is not in the guide yet.

According to sky angel you can NOT record on TIVO at this time with the new box. They are "waiting" for a compatible box to be developed :( WEbsite is misleading as they clearly say you can record for "personal use". I just got my box hooked up today. Agent told me "they haven't updated the website". Its my understanding that this box has been in use for a while. PLENTY of time to update and let people know the are now copy guarding the boxes. they told me its a "federal regulation" which is a lie as you can record form other providers like DISH for personal use!

According to sky angel you can NOT record on TIVO at this time with the new box. They are "waiting" for a compatible box to be developed :( WEbsite is misleading as they clearly say you can record for "personal use". I just got my box hooked up today. Agent told me "they haven't updated the website". Its my understanding that this box has been in use for a while. PLENTY of time to update and let people know the are now copy guarding the boxes. they told me its a "federal regulation" which is a lie as you can record form other providers like DISH for personal use!

Yes you can record on Tivo with the white box, I do it every day, however the Tivo can not change channels on the SA box, you have to do that yourself, so one could say they are correct because of this issue. I have had the white box for almost a year now, during that time I have contacted both Tivo & SA about getting the remote information on the white box to Tivo, even have several emails from a VP at SA. Not only is SA web site out of date, so is most everything they do. The new software & such must be really good come first of the year, or I will be considering going back to Dish, also considering the new price increase.

Sky angel is still saying tivo will not work with white box. they did say this though:
Thanks for sharing your concerns about the ability to record with our new receiver.

At this time, the Series II receiver is compatible with a third party DVR called Vulkano by Monsoon MultiMedia. The Vulkano model that has been tested and works with the Sky Angel service is the Vulkano Lava model DVR. The DVR's from Vulkano do not have a monthly fee after you purchase the box so it is a great addition to a subscriber that wants DVR functionality. We are now testing the Vulkano Blast model which includes a 160 gig hard drive and has pause live TV features like most DVR’s; the Lava model does not offer that feature. To read all about the DVR’s and their features, go to www.myvulkano.com .

Our Tech Team is also working on other possible solutions and we’ll share more details as workable options become available.

There is a device called GREX that can do what you want to allow backup of a protected recording. check out hXXp://www.xdimax.com for info. I backed up my commercially purchased VHS collection(getting old) to DVD using this method.

Thats not what I mean at all, I am talking about simply using the VCR as a pass through, but one of the devices(I don't know which one) has some sort of copyright protection that causes the image to fade out to the blue screen on the vcr making the sky angel box useless.

Thats not what I mean at all, I am talking about simply using the VCR as a pass through, but one of the devices(I don't know which one) has some sort of copyright protection that causes the image to fade out to the blue screen on the vcr making the sky angel box useless.

You can not do what you are asking with a VCR, the copy protection is in the white box, the reason is a VCR is used to copy content, not just for time shifting. You can use a TiVo series 2 DVR to record the white box by setting up manual recording times, the TiVo can not change channels on the white box, the remote code for the TransVideo white box is not in the TiVo settings. Having said all that you can transfer the content recorded on the TiVo from the white box to another device. It is possible to use the VCR as a pass through only if you use another device to remove the copy protection from the white box.

You can not do what you are asking with a VCR, the copy protection is in the white box, the reason is a VCR is used to copy content, not just for time shifting. You can use a TiVo series 2 DVR to record the white box by setting up manual recording times, the TiVo can not change channels on the white box, the remote code for the TransVideo white box is not in the TiVo settings. Having said all that you can transfer the content recorded on the TiVo from the white box to another device. It is possible to use the VCR as a pass through only if you use another device to remove the copy protection from the white box.

I should have said in my post upbove that you can pick programs from the TiVo guide to record, but you have to make sure the SA white box is on the correct channel since the remote code is not in the TiVo data base. Doing that mean you do not have to set up manual recordings in the TiVo.