Cord cutter

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I love being a cord cutter!! I have saved close to 200.00 in 2 months and they owe me money!! Not that the reception is always perfect, but with Netflix and another internet company providing home phone and internet my bill went from 145.00 a month to 70 dollars a month. So actual savings varies a little but Netflix has plenty to watch along with all my OTA stations. Comcast here has so many problems with signal outages and pixelation it's not even funny. Plus a 3.25 broadcast fee. And if you don't pay your bill, even the locals get cut off. How absurd when you can watch them for free OTA. Not to mention the ridiculous protection plan for 4.95 that does no good. I'll admit, I've played and tweaked my antennas for the best possible reception but that's half the fun. Then the satisfaction of knowing you've accomplished something, especially knowing if you need a pre amp, or a splitter somewhere, or just feeling good about your decision to cut the cord. Its a great feeling. Especially for me seeing as how I'm surrounded by hills. Thank you to all of y'all who have helped me. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Andy: -)

It's easy enough to switch around between streaming services when you get tired of one. Subscribe to Netflix for a few months ($10), then to Showtime ($11), then to HBO Now ($15), then to Hulu ($8 or $12 ad-free). I like Amazon Prime Video too, although that's a one-year commitment for $99 (but you get the free two-day shipping plus other perks too). Most of those will give you a free one-month trial too.

It's easy enough to switch around between streaming services when you get tired of one. Subscribe to Netflix for a few months ($10), then to Showtime ($11), then to HBO Now ($15), then to Hulu ($8 or $12 ad-free).
The problem I found with the movie plexes is that they seem to all debut their biggest shows at more or less the same time so if you want to keep up at the water cooler, you're kinda stuck.

Of course every time you come back to Netflix, the price has gone up at least a dollar.

Netflix so far is more than exceeding my needs. It's not perfect, but nothing is and I'm finding a lot of shows I have been even remotely interested in for the most part they have. Some they don't, but I have DVDs and tons of other stuff on roku. Plus I can take Netflix to bed with me on my tablet when OTA is boring or surf the web or heaven forbid, just go out and do something.

I also tell people to check the free services Crackle (part of Sony), Viewster, and TubiTV (which just licensed a bunch of Lionsgate/MGM content). These services all show ads, but are free of charge. The only one with original programming is Crackle.

I have Amazon and Hulu and keep debating Netflix. I wish Netflix had some better offers for signups.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Yup in your browser, plus they have apps for Roku, Apple TV, smart phones etc.

All kinds of stuff to watch including a number of live channels. and its free.

I think pluto.tv is a great idea, but their Roku app doesn't work too well on my units. And the iPad app even seems buggy/slow. I am not big on watching TV on a desktop web browser - I tend to prefer the Roku or a mobile device. I will say, when it works, Pluto TV actually does have great, near HD picture quality, and on the Roku, seems to have better quality than other free apps, particularly for its live streams of news.