Corporate names for stadiums/arenas

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
For some reason I was surprised last night when I turned on the ESPN game and it was being played at Angels Stadium. I assumed it had a corporate sponsor in the title, but I was very happy to find out it did not.

So here is a list I've thought of so far of stadiums and arenas that have managed to resist selling themselves out to a corporate title sponsor:

Yankee Stadium (Old and new)
Madison Square Garden
Shea Stadium (for this year...the Mets' new stadium opening next year will have a title sponsor)
Angels Stadium
Fenway Park
Wrigley Field
Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (I think they're in between sponsors right now)
Dodger Stadium
Kaufman Stadium
Lambeau Field
Nassau Mausoleum (jeez the Jerk-Landers made my good list for a change)
RFK Stadium
HHH Metrodome
Dolphin Stadium
Ralph Wilson Stadium
Superdome
Turner Field (this one can be argued either way...named after a man and a company)
Busch Stadium (same thing)

Please feel free to add ones I missed, or change ones I got wrong.

Sandra

Last edited:
in the Canadian Football League most are not corporate named
there is BC Place in Vancouver
Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton

named after someone
Ivor Wynne in Hamilton
McMahon in Calgary
Percival Molson stadium in Montreal
Rogers Centre (touchy as its named after Ted Rogers who owns the Blue Jays and bought the Skydome but Rogers is a big cable.telephone provider)

named after corporate
CanadInns in Winnipeg (hotel chain)
Mosaic in Regina (but its called Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field....Taylor Field was the name for years)

Cleveland Browns Stadium
Georgia Dome
Giants Stadium
Jacksonville Stadium (former Alltel, and I believe they're seeking a sponsor)
Texas Stadium
Soldier Field
Candlestick Park (it's returning to this title this season)

Other Non Sponsored Arenas:
Rose Garden in Portland
Bradley Center in Milwaukee
Joe Louis Arena in Detroit
Palace of Auburn Hills
New Orleans Arena

Angels Stadium had a corporate name for 5 years, Edison International Field, sponsor being a power company.
When the Angels were sold in 2004, new owner Arte Moreno didn't like the name and terminated the deal, thus Angels Stadium.
He's also the one who changed the name of the team from Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Moreno, like myself as a Arizona native, views anything west of Palm Springs, south of Bakersfield and north of San Diego to be "Los Angeles". :)

Other facilities such as Rangers Ballpark, Jax Memorial, Candlestick, et. al. had corporate names but lost them for variety of reasons.

FWIW, with the Sonics now gone from Seattle, Key Bank is likely to terminate it's deal for Key Arena and would be known as "Seattle Center Arena".

Last edited:
...what the heck is a Fenway anyway...the part of Boston it's in?

Pretty much. Boston is all landfill. So much landfill that the place where the Boston Tea Party took place is now almost a mile from the harbor.

"Fen" is an old New England term for "salt marsh", which is a type of swamp. As Boston grew these salt marshes got filled with sewage. They then filled in most of it, leaving some as, cut off from the sea, as fresh water lakes.

If you see the irony that the two cities most associated with the enviro- movement, Boston and San Francisco, are artificial cities with large parts of land reclaimed from the sea via landfill and swamp drainage, then you are not alone.

Isnt Wrigley field named after a corporate sponsor?

Technically it's not, It's actually named after William Wrigley JR the team owner. The name was changed in 1926.

It's a coincidence in today's corporate sponsorship world.

Here in Milwaukee, the Bradley Center "entertained" the idea of corporate sponsorship of the BC. The public outcry was tremendous. and that idea was shot down in flames as soon as it was "mentioned" publically.

The BC was named by local philanthropist's who donated the $100 million dollar cost to build the arena, Jane and Lloyd Petite and named in honor of Jane's late father Harry Lynde Bradley.

Last edited:
I think these qualify as "greedy" name takeovers. Yes I know they make money on those...but damn the history

Montreal Forum to Molsen Centre
Maple Leaf Gardens to Air Canada Centre
Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field

and in a ironic twist.....The Collisee de Quebec has been known as the Colisee Pepsi....huh...just like the Pepsi Center in Denver...and who stole Quebec's team? yep...Colorado

The only one that sort of worked from a corporate sponsor was when Monster Cables bought Candlestick and it was called "Monster Park." I don't see why corporations buy these names. I'd love to buy the naming rights to a stadium, but I'd never put my company's name on it. I'd put tons of company ADS throughout the place, but I would try to have fun with the name.

If you could name your favorite stadium whatever you wanted, what would it be?

Technically it's not, It's actually named after William Wrigley JR the team owner. The name was changed in 1926.

It's a coincidence in today's corporate sponsorship world.

Here in Milwaukee, the Bradley Center "entertained" the idea of corporate sponsorship of the BC. The public outcry was tremendous. and that idea was shot down in flames as soon as it was "mentioned" publically.

The BC was named by local philanthropist's who donated the $100 million dollar cost to build the arena, Jane and Lloyd Petite and named in honor of Jane's late father Harry Lynde Bradley.

I would not call it "coincidence" that the team owner named the satdium and the comapny after himself. It is not an outside sponsor but it was a sponsor----though it has survived the original ownership.

I think these qualify as "greedy" name takeovers. Yes I know they make money on those...but damn the history

Montreal Forum to Molsen Centre
Maple Leaf Gardens to Air Canada Centre
Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field

and in a ironic twist.....The Collisee de Quebec has been known as the Colisee Pepsi....huh...just like the Pepsi Center in Denver...and who stole Quebec's team? yep...Colorado

Umm, the Maple Leaf Gardens and Montreal Forum were seperate buildings replaced by the 1990s construction of the Air Canada Centre and what was originally the Molson Centre, which is now the Bell Centre.

BTW, in Canada "Pepsi" is a slang derogatory term for French Canadian. Back in the day when Pepsi was sold on price (twice as much for a nickel) Quebec was one of only three North American jurisdictions (the others being West Virginia and Kentucky) where Pepsi outsold Coke. "Pepsi" came to be a negative term for Quebecers traveling, who always asked for Pepsi.

Umm, the Maple Leaf Gardens and Montreal Forum were seperate buildings replaced by the 1990s construction of the Air Canada Centre and what was originally the Molson Centre, which is now the Bell Centre.

BTW, in Canada "Pepsi" is a slang derogatory term for French Canadian. Back in the day when Pepsi was sold on price (twice as much for a nickel) Quebec was one of only three North American jurisdictions (the others being West Virginia and Kentucky) where Pepsi outsold Coke. "Pepsi" came to be a negative term for Quebecers traveling, who always asked for Pepsi.

That's because we Kentuckians know that Pepsi is really better than Coke. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts