Cost to relocate dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayDog08

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
On my original install the installer mounted the dish on the front of my roof pointing over the back of the house. I can get the 101 Sat. but I can't get either the 110 or 119. Wasn't aware of this until sometime later.

Anyways, I just got an HDTV and am looking into getting the HD package, but I need to have the dish moved. Anyone know about how much it will cost me to have an installer come out and move the dish to the peak of the roof?

dragon002 said:
it shouldnt cost you anything, but how do you know the dish isnt aimed right?

I get 0 signal strength on 110 and 119 and about 85 on 101.

If you had to have someone come out they could charge anywhere from $40 to $100 maybe more depending on who you call.

If you get 101 in really well then the only thing you might have to do is go into the menu and select the oval dish option instead of the single dish option. This might be why its not showing a signal on 110 and 119. Either that or the installer that had installed it did not tune in 110 and 119 or did not set the skew right in order for 110 and 119 to come in correctly.

There should be a warranty on the installation and if you did not wait too long then you should be able to have them come out for free to fix the issue. You would have to call the same place that originally done the installation. If they give you a hard time then call DirecTv directly and tell them the situation.

tate,

i was thinking the same thing. well if true, he is one of the know it alls and now he'll pay for a dish AND a service call.

dragon002 said:
tate,

i was thinking the same thing. well if true, he is one of the know it alls and now he'll pay for a dish AND a service call.

???

Ok no that we have that cleared what part of the country are you in? If you are in the northern part of the us 110 and 119 may not clear your roof if the slope is too steep.

Also what type of receivers do you have now "also how many" and do you have any multiswitches in the line?

The Tate said:
Ok no that we have that cleared what part of the country are you in? If you are in the northern part of the us 110 and 119 may not clear your roof if the slope is too steep.

Also what type of receivers do you have now "also how many" and do you have any multiswitches in the line?

I am in Baltimore, MD. I have 1 R10 D-Tivo, 1HDVR2, and 1 regular receiver. The only multiswitch is the one that comes with the 3 LNB dish.

JayDog08 said:

As someone else mentioned, go through the setup and make sure the Oval dish is chosen.

Do you have trees blocking your line of sight to the 110 and 119? If you have the oval dish chosen, you should get at least some reading on the transponders for 110 and 119. Trees will definetely block signals, but I would think some signal would read out.

Proc said:
As someone else mentioned, go through the setup and make sure the Oval dish is chosen.

Do you have trees blocking your line of sight to the 110 and 119? If you have the oval dish chosen, you should get at least some reading on the transponders for 110 and 119. Trees will definetely block signals, but I would think some signal would read out.

I made sure it was setup for the Oval dish. No trees blocking. It is installed on the front part of the roof and is pointing back over, so I'm suprised I even get the 101. I'm thinking the pitch of the roof is blocking signal so I was going to have someone come out and move it to the peak of the roof.

JayDog08 said:
I am in Baltimore, MD. I have 1 R10 D-Tivo, 1HDVR2, and 1 regular receiver. The only multiswitch is the one that comes with the 3 LNB dish.

Jay,

With you being so high up in the country 119 and 110 is more than likely not going to come in over the roof. What is the pitch of your roof?

When was your original install done?? And did you have signal on 110 ans 119 when it was originally done?? Where did you get the system from??

JayDog08 said:

1 R10 requires 2 Lines from Switch

1 HDVR requires 2 Lines from Switch

1 Regular receiver requires 1 Line from Switch

Having a 3 LNB dish would been you need at minimum a 4 x 8 Multi Switch. If you upgrade to HD they will send out an installer and the installer "SHOULD" locate a line of sight for the new HD dish and if this means moving it to a new location then thats what needs done.

str8poolbanger said:

Ah I did not notice he said a HDVR. I read it as just an HD.
JayDog08 can you get to your switch and tell us how many ports it has on both sides?

wobbie said:
When was your original install done?? And did you have signal on 110 ans 119 when it was originally done?? Where did you get the system from??

Install was done about 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not sure if I ever had one because I had no reason to check. Never had HD and my locals are on the 101.

The Tate said:
Ah I did not notice he said a HDVR. I read it as just an HD.
JayDog08 can you get to your switch and tell us how many ports it has on both sides?

No, I'm not able to get to it. I don't have a ladder that tall. It is the switch that is built into the dish. I think it is a 5x4 (4x4).

str8poolbanger said:

Having a 3 LNB dish would been you need at minimum a 4 x 8 Multi Switch. If you upgrade to HD they will send out an installer and the installer "SHOULD" locate a line of sight for the new HD dish and if this means moving it to a new location then thats what needs done.

Yeah, I originally had the HDVR, and two regular receivers so I only needed 4 lines. I just upgraded to the R10 about 5 months ago and decided not to worry about the second tuner at the time.

I plan on calling DTV tonight and ordering the H10-250.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Just Switched from Dish to DirecTV!! (Questions About DVR)

Anyone understand Directv bills?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)