Costco Tightens Return Policy For Consumer Electronics

The change limits to 90 days the time frame in which customers can return various consumer electronics for a full refund

That's much more lenient as it was rumored that they were going for a 30 day policy, and I fully agree with them doing it. Unfortunately, their liberal return policy was very abused and those costs were, of course, passed on to it's customers. 90 days is more than enough time to decide if you want something, and if you are worrying about it breaking, well that's what warranties and extended warranties are for.

yep... fair enough... however, i heard that some stores and some online places wont have a limit for tvs? is this true?

No more "gaming" the system...

Unfortunately, too many people took advantage of Costco's liberal return policy, which drove up the price of their electronics. For example: I wanted to buy a new HDTV from Costco, but their prices were no longer competitive for higher-end models...it was several hundred dollars less to purchase the same set and 5 year extended warranty (w/2 lamp replacements) from a competitor. The only reason to purchase this set from Costco was if I planned to return it in a year or two. I have two coworkers who routinely "game the system" by purchasing state-of-the-art home entertainment components only to return them the following model year.

Additionally, I hope Costco will begin offering premium 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranties with HDTVs, and many of their other products. Customers should [hopefully] save money because they won't have to pay for the scammers, and they can use the savings to pay for a premium extended warranty (to include 2 lamp replacements). In any case, this is a win-win-lose situation: win for the customer, a win for Costco, a lose for the scammer.

On a side note, I am sick and tired of seeing people drag in their 2-3 deluxe gas grill, $600+, complete with rust and spider webs, and receive a full refund. Twenty minutes later they are walking out of the store with a brand new unit. This crap has got to stop because honest people are paying the price.:(

I did buy a 62" from them and I had so many problems with it I was glad they had such a good return policy.. whats worse is I was the second person that day to return that tv.. so they were wondering if there was a sale somewhere, I explained my frustration with the tv and they took it back..

I did buy a 62" from them and I had so many problems with it I was glad they had such a good return policy.. whats worse is I was the second person that day to return that tv.. so they were wondering if there was a sale somewhere, I explained my frustration with the tv and they took it back..
Absolutely! We had a vacuum cleaner that gave us nothing but trouble, was in for service twice during the warrantly period, and was in need of a third servicing. I took it back two weeks before the warranty expired because it was a hunk of junk.

Fiddyshequal,
The article states that California will be ahead of the rest of the US, implementing this policy.
"its 109 California warehouses, and plans to roll out the changes in the rest of its 372 U.S. locations over the next five weeks"

Also they are including are offering a 2 year warranty on tv's and computers.

I think it was Costco's fault in the first place for their liberal return policy. They probably had no idea it would of been taken advantage of like it had. I think it just got worse in the last couple of years with the continuous change in HD technology and those looking for quick upgrade to the next best thing. Myself, I purchased my 42" LCD 720p set from Costco right before the policy change and am glad I still have the old policy to fall back on although on don't plan on using it (unless it becomes defective after the one year manufacturer warranty). I do not see E* going to 1080p anytime in the near future so I probably wouldn't of upgraded anyway.

Attachments

• costco.jpg
    costco.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 242
2 things
1. like digital dude said, it is quite interesting that it states 4/2/07.. any ideas as to what that means? maybe they are gradually making it lower, and as of 4/2/07 or the next day they will make it like 30 days or something like that. interesting.
2. the "2 year" warrantee for tvs... if the sides of my plasma are losing its color (meaning a line is visible between the widescreen sections and the 4:3 regular display) will that be part of this 2 year warrantee? or after 90 days it will not be a known issue or something?

2 things
1. like digital dude said, it is quite interesting that it states 4/2/07.. any ideas as to what that means? maybe they are gradually making it lower, and as of 4/2/07 or the next day they will make it like 30 days or something like that. interesting.
The way I read it is that the 90 day return policy goes into effect on 4/2/07 in the SE and PR stores and if you buy something before that date the old police will be inforce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts