Costs of XstreamHD thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Geez all this money for gigabit upgrades and a very expensive movie service from people I thought were in financial hardship.

Geez all this money for gigabit upgrades and a very expensive movie service from people I thought were in financial hardship.

Well, Gigabit I already had! so cost of upgrade is 0 dollars. I have been on gigabit for about 6 months already. And I have differed the cost of Xstream HD buy selling some items that I didn't need anymore on fleabay. Anyhow, It's really none of your business what I do with my money. I can tell you one thing, the bills are paid, the mortgage is paid and everything is in line before I make purchases like this. Also, If I wanted something, and I sell some items on ebay to get the thing that I want, whats wrong with that! Aside from the initial purchase, the monthly fee isnt bad!

How do you make sure your on a gigabit network in your house I am on wireless N right now. Everything is wireless in my house.

Yea no kidding, infact you might be outraged to know that my gigabit router includes wirless draft N. I know, I need to hold you back from your outrage! :up

I guess I am missing something or i am having a brain fart. Wireless N is a gigabit rate? If I want to be wired I would do cat6 not cat5e right?

Here is a c/p from a home network page that should answer your question:

Question: What are the transmission speed for Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6 network cable?

Cat 5 and Cat 5e UTP cables can support 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet. Although Cat 5 cable may support to some degree in Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps), it performs below standard during high-data transfer scenarios, so I do not recommend you to use Cat 5 cable in Gigabit Ethernet, use Cat 5e instead (of course Cat 6 is the best).

Cat 6 UTP cable is manufactured targeting on Gigabit Ethernet and backward compatible with 10/100 Mbps Ethernet. It performs better then Cat 5 cable with higher transmission rate and lower transmission error. If you plan to have Gigabit network, look for Cat 5e or Cat 6 UTP cables.

Note: Cat 3 UTP cable? Forget about it... It's not popular anymore since it can only support 10 Mbps Ethernet.

I guess I am missing something or i am having a brain fart. Wireless N is a gigabit rate? If I want to be wired I would do cat6 not cat5e right?

N is no were near gigabit, but it's over 100 megs! :) Its just as good as having a lan connection when it comes to surfing the web and doing most normal activities over the lan, but for very high data like pushing fully produced Highdef video, its not as good as having that gigabit connection.

Here is a c/p from a home network page that should answer your question:

Question: What are the transmission speed for Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6 network cable?

Cat 5 and Cat 5e UTP cables can support 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet. Although Cat 5 cable may support to some degree in Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps), it performs below standard during high-data transfer scenarios, so I do not recommend you to use Cat 5 cable in Gigabit Ethernet, use Cat 5e instead (of course Cat 6 is the best).

Cat 6 UTP cable is manufactured targeting on Gigabit Ethernet and backward compatible with 10/100 Mbps Ethernet. It performs better then Cat 5 cable with higher transmission rate and lower transmission error. If you plan to have Gigabit network, look for Cat 5e or Cat 6 UTP cables.

Note: Cat 3 UTP cable? Forget about it... It's not popular anymore since it can only support 10 Mbps Ethernet.

OK brain fart over got it thanks:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts