could someone explain exactly what a slingbox does?

jdvaughn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
There are so many tons of threads about slingbox, sling adapter, etc...

I have a 722 dual tuner box. I would like to be able to watch TV from Dish on my computers, especially use the Sirius channels on my computers, be able to use my computer's music play-lists and photos from my computer on the TV. Is this what a slingbox would do? And if so, what specific slingbox is the best to get? are there different models? I know Dish sells something like this, but I would rather buy something that I could still use if I decided to leave Dish in the future... Are there other things that one can do with a slingbox that I haven't mentioned? Am new to this...

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

oh, I have PC's and wireless internet, would I need anything else?

The SlingBox is designed to send the video from your satellite receiver, cable box, antennae or DVR to another location within your home for viewing on a computer, smart phone or tablet. These devices need to have a software application to receive the streamed video. It can also send the video across the internet to the same type of devices assuming you have enough upload bandwidth. To watch video in HD you need 4 - 6 Mbs of bandwidth. Trivial bandwidth on your Lan, but most people do not have the capability to upload video at this speed so you are restricted to SD programming using the internet.

To view the video on a TV streamed by your Slingbox the simplest and least expensive option would be to connect the receiving PC to the TV using a cable. Other options would be a Boxee or a Logitech Revue.

The SlingBox was not designed to be used as a video or audio serving device though I suppose you could jury rig a way to do this using a Slingbox Pro HD. The video being streamed can only go to one location at a time. You can not stream to multiple locations simultaneously.

"The video being streamed can only go to one location at a time. You can not stream to multiple locations simultaneously."

So, are you saying that if I was watching TV on my computer, would it take it away from the TV in the living room?

and then, can I "sling" my computer music or photos to my TV?

Also, I currently have a Linksys wireless-G 2.4GHz, 54Mbps router which is pretty old really, would I have to get a better router?

Last edited:
The Slingbox can send almost anything with a video (or audio) output to another computer or most mobile devices. That would include security cameras, as well as your satellite receiver. It has built in "remote controls" that will control many devices, though not all. Complete compatibility with Dish. Remember some devices may not need a remote to work, for instance I have a camera security system plugged into it that is run by a box that scans between cameras. That video is simply plugged into the Slingbox and I can check the cameras anywhere I am. No remote control needed in this case.
As mentioned, if watching over your own home network, you will get an excellent picture. I watch the upstairs receiver on the large screen TV downstairs via a desktop computer I have hooked to the TV. (When I don't want to send the show to my EHD) You could do the same with a laptop, or just watch on the laptop or desktop.
Over the internet is still very acceptable if you have reasonable bandwidth, it will not be HD. I watch the news from Florida when I am in CT this way with very good results, as well as some sports that may not be available in New England.

If you get the Slingbox HD PRO it has a digital tuner, you can hook an antenna to it and watch those channels without even using the satellite channels. I suggest either that or the lesser Slingbox Solo, as those are the only two now widely supported. The best results for mobile I have seen, is on my Android using the Sling app. I find it better than on an Iphone, and way better than on windows mobile.

I have been using slingboxes for years for both TV and security, it has become part of everyday use for me.
That Linksys is fine, it is what I use.
You can watch both the TV and the slingbox at the same time, but whatever is on the slingbox will be on the TV if using the same tuner, UNLESS you use the built in tuner I talked about with the HD PRO.

Last edited:
1) Linksys 54G Wireless... may not be enough depending on your network environment. Mine was too slow was averaging 2 to 3 megs of throughput due to all the devices in the same wireless network. I split my network in two at that point, using two completely different *wireless* networks, 1 for TV and related items.. a second one for laptops, phones, etc..

2) Sling *adapter* takes over TV2/Tuner2 when its in use, where as the Sling Box is like using a splitter .. if there are two people locally watching .. one on TV1 .. the other on TV2 ... then a sling box user could mirror the signal of one of those users ... but a sling adapter would actively take over TV2's video, blocking a local person from watching anything on TV2.

The Sling Box is more versatile but more expensive... the sling Adapter is more limited, but cheaper (99 dollars or free if you go through a Dish IRT member for a rebate until the end of December)

i assume the sling adapter is only for dish and cant be used for my security cameras?

The Slingbox can send almost anything with a video (or audio) output to another computer or most mobile devices. That would include security cameras, as well as your satellite receiver. It has built in "remote controls" that will control many devices, though not all. Complete compatibility with Dish. Remember some devices may not need a remote to work, for instance I have a camera security system plugged into it that is run by a box that scans between cameras. That video is simply plugged into the Slingbox and I can check the cameras anywhere I am. No remote control needed in this case.
As mentioned, if watching over your own home network, you will get an excellent picture. I watch the upstairs receiver on the large screen TV downstairs via a desktop computer I have hooked to the TV. (When I don't want to send the show to my EHD) You could do the same with a laptop, or just watch on the laptop or desktop.
Over the internet is still very acceptable if you have reasonable bandwidth, it will not be HD. I watch the news from Florida when I am in CT this way with very good results, as well as some sports that may not be available in New England.

If you get the Slingbox HD PRO it has a digital tuner, you can hook an antenna to it and watch those channels without even using the satellite channels. I suggest either that or the lesser Slingbox Solo, as those are the only two now widely supported. The best results for mobile I have seen, is on my Android using the Sling app. I find it better than on an Iphone, and way better than on windows mobile.

I have been using slingboxes for years for both TV and security, it has become part of everyday use for me.
That Linksys is fine, it is what I use.
You can watch both the TV and the slingbox at the same time, but whatever is on the slingbox will be on the TV if using the same tuner, UNLESS you use the built in tuner I talked about with the HD PRO.

i assume the sling adapter is only for dish and cant be used for my security cameras?

Correct, its a mini pci sized card ... about twice as wide as a memory stick for a laptop computer ... it only works via USB and the code is specific to the Dish Receivers.. it has no other external connectors and since the dish doesn't take a "video in" the sling adapter is for output only.

Ok, thanks so much for the info guys... just one more thing that no one has said anything about... can it sling the other direction? Sling my music and photos from my computer to the TV?

I have a question. Does the normal slingbox, the one that works with 622, in any way affect the ability to watch and record two programs at once with the two tuners? My 622 is connected only to one tv and will stay that way, dont even confuse me with the tv2 stuff.

1) media from PC ... no, sling adapters only enable streaming from the receiver

2) 622 - slingbox watching / recording -- only effects it in the normal way if you were local to the TV.

ie. you have two shows recording, then connect to your SlingBox remotely ... if you send a channel change to the slingbox, it sends it to your 622 and one of the tuners will change channel, killing one of the recordings.

if you connect to the slingbox over the network while you are recording ... then your remote control of the slingbox effects which ever port the slingbox is connected too.

I have a question. Does the normal slingbox, the one that works with 622, in any way affect the ability to watch and record two programs at once with the two tuners? My 622 is connected only to one tv and will stay that way, dont even confuse me with the tv2 stuff.
I'm usually averse to answering questions that have painfully obvious answers but since you asked in a snotty way (that appeals to me), the answer is that a conventional Slingbox doesn't change anything about the functionality of the DVR.

If you choose to interfere with what the DVR is doing by using the Slingbox to stop a recording or mess with the recording schedule, that's on you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts