Could someone have hacked my receiver?

jacobsdad1976

Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I have a question, and I am not technically savvy enough from a satellite receiver perspective to understand how this may have happened. Here goes:

We got our bill yesterday and it was noted with a PPV charge from august...a couple things about it when we called Dish was that it was a program at noon while I was at work, and my wife was at a medical appointment 90 minutes away with our sons. Nobody else was home, so we are unsure how this could have happened.

The only thing that really makes me wonder is the fact that I have a LocationFree player attached to one of the receivers, so I am wondering if someone could have gotten in there since it is designed to remotely access whatever you connect to it. At the same time, I thought only devices that had paired with the LocationFree device specifically could obtain access to the particular device in use.

Needless to say, it's caused some confusion and questions. Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't want to know any specifics on how someone could do this, but I am trying to understand if it is possible so I can make my case with Dish.

We have gone ahead and updated our locks so that anyone who wanted to order a PPV item would have to call it in and authorize it. Wish we had thought about it sooner!

Thank you

It is possible a neighbor with Dish has the same remote address as you and can be causing you to have things like this added to your bill. You can look under Purchases to see which receiver it may have been ordered on. If none shows, you may have enough proof to have it removed from your bill. PPV's can also be order by phone or online, someone may have ordered it and Dish charged your account by mistake. Or, someone could have done exactly what you say, you can change the remote address and lock your system to prevent this from happening in the future (in this case, Dish may or may not remove the charge), you should contact Dish with your concerns and to see if anything can be done for this charge and any charges that may appear in the future.

I guess that is possible...when I get home today, I will check the receivers and look at purchase history to find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)