Could this be a look at the future?

I see them pushing IPTV heavily and this new equipment from Echostar shows that this is where they are aiming for the future.

Its just too bad they dont seem to understand that many of their customers do not have access to good broadband... but if DISH launches their nationwide 4G service this might not be an issue.

Does Dish continue with there regular satellite service for those who do not have great broadband? Maybe Dish keeps some kind of a basic satellite service for those people and keeps the packages basic too.

Yes the regular satellite will continue, but they will keep trying to push additional service that are broadband based to make it look like they offer more. (and also more TV everywhere)

I think so, I just hope DISH works to fix its UI so it makes an easy to use seemless experience for the customer.

Their current Blockbuster Movie Pass VOD setup leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree with the Movie Pass but I do enjoy getting movies and video games in the mail. Do you know if Dish is working on anything soon to improve the video on demand? There are so many customers that think they are getting the ability to stream movies like they did with Netflix. It's a bit misleading to the public.

Yeah - as a rural customer, BB sufficient enough for HD is tough - and expensive! I don't know how DISH will price their HD service over BB, but I don't want to have an expensive programming package in addition to an expensive 'net connection. My only options now are DSL (and I'm pretty far out on the copper), 3G, and Hughes...

Does Dish continue with there regular satellite service for those who do not have great broadband?

Hopefully they will use their 700mhz spectrum to offer a fast wireless service to rural America. It seems that often times the big companies and media forget that there are places in rural America where "fast" broadband is not available. Where I live, you have four options for television, OTA, DirecTV, Dish Network, and FTA satellite, no cable TV or IPTV here. This is why I do not think that Dish Network and DirecTV should ever be allowed to merge, there would be no pay TV competetion for millions of rural Americans. The fastest DSL speed that I can get is 1.5/256 and I have only been able to get that for about three years. CenturyLink has no plans to offer anything faster for the forseeable future. AT&T claims that if the DOJ/FCC allow them to merge with TMobile that they will offer LTE to my area, but what they say and what they do are two different things.

I agree with the Movie Pass but I do enjoy getting movies and video games in the mail. Do you know if Dish is working on anything soon to improve the video on demand? There are so many customers that think they are getting the ability to stream movies like they did with Netflix. It's a bit misleading to the public.

I stream blockbuster movies all the time.
Also get DVDs in the mail.
I like it for the older movies and Netflix for the newer stuff.

You can stream movies but there are barely any that are free or part or part of the plan. Most people think they will be able to go on their receiver and view a movie now for no extra cost.

Hopefully they will use their 700mhz spectrum to offer a fast wireless service to rural America. It seems that often times the big companies and media forget that there are places in rural America where "fast" broadband is not available. Where I live, you have four options for television, OTA, DirecTV, Dish Network, and FTA satellite, no cable TV or IPTV here. This is why I do not think that Dish Network and DirecTV should ever be allowed to merge, there would be no pay TV competetion for millions of rural Americans. The fastest DSL speed that I can get is 1.5/256 and I have only been able to get that for about three years. CenturyLink has no plans to offer anything faster for the forseeable future. AT&T claims that if the DOJ/FCC allow them to merge with TMobile that they will offer LTE to my area, but what they say and what they do are two different things.

i was wondering how us that are way out of the city would be able to do it.

You can stream movies but there are barely any that are free or part or part of the plan. Most people think they will be able to go on their receiver and view a movie now for no extra cost.
That isn't the BB movie streaming service you are talking about for 10 a month. That is the VOD and Dish on Demand that charges extra.

Actually, a merge would work better for rural customers: In the last failed attempt to merge DirecTV and Dish, as part of the deal, the new single sat provider proposed and agreed to a TWO-card rate with one being a LESS expensive rate (a big discount from the current rates) for the same services for rural customers recognizing a lack of real competition, while all the other subs would be charged the full rate. However, as internet via sat (and this administration is REALLY pushing broadband for rural) and other technologies improve (including wireless, etc.) even rural folk will join the "streaming" party and have a viable alternative to the single sat provider.

Actually, a merge would work better for rural customers: In the last failed attempt to merge DirecTV and Dish, as part of the deal, the new single sat provider proposed and agreed to a TWO-card rate with one being a LESS expensive rate (a big discount from the current rates) for the same services for rural customers recognizing a lack of real competition, while all the other subs would be charged the full rate. However, as internet via sat (and this administration is REALLY pushing broadband for rural) and other technologies improve (including wireless, etc.) even rural folk will join the "streaming" party and have a viable alternative to the single sat provider.
Wouldn't be competition just different rate cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)