Could your next DVR have more than three tuners please?

...and I've heard they are in fact coming out with another version of the hopper with you guessed it another tuner, will only require a single line from the dish to the node (thank god) or so I've heard but that could be office rumors.

Sorry, but that is not believable for DishPro Plus technology,which only allows two tuners/cable. Now, they could change that with something other than DishPro Plus LNBs or switches ahead of the node, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Sorry, but that is not believable for DishPro Plus technology,which only allows two tuners/cable. Now, they could change that with something other than DishPro Plus LNBs or switches ahead of the node, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Yep. That logic alone should "NIX" the rumors.

Yeah never heard anything about current DPP lnb's being in use so keep that in mind we could be seeing something else down the pipe.

There's always something new on the horizon. It's just up to you whether or not you actually need it. If anything, it would pacify those who want a ginormous central server unit rather than people like me that prefer redundancy.

I heard a rumor that they're working on a new LNB that will output all three tuners on one wire, so no need for a node.

Mt 722k has four tuners(two dish and two OTA). my 211k with EHD has two tuners. So, I have 6 tuners without a Hopper. Dish is the best.

I don't get the angst about adding tuners to the hopper. If three isn't enough, you add another Hopper. Problem solved. I have 6 tuners, and with PTAT enabled I I can record/watch 9 different things. I could bump that to 11 if I chose to install OTA adapters.

Assuming they stay with the current band stacking technology used in Hopper, the cable to the hopper will support 4 tuners - they have one 500mhz block reserved for future use.

A single hopper installation could support 4 tuners with existing cabling/LNBs and swapping out for a new quad-stacked node.

Dual hopper is a little more problematic, but existng cabling and a more "switchy" node could work for the 90% of the base that have 3 or fewer LNBs. Add an additional input to the node and it could work for 99+% of the users. Put a switch in front of the four input node and you have 100%.

Develop a new triple or quad stacked LNB/Dish and you are also at 100%.

BUT....

I really hope they will do something more SWM-like. Though I have to wonder if there is a reason, technical or non-technical (patent/licensing), we don't already have SWM-like tech.

Last edited:
I like the 2 Hopper set up. However, it will be even better when they integrate the hoppers one more level to allow you to set all 8 tuners( with 2 OTA modules) from each hopper. You can do it from the Joeys by changing which Hopper you are linked to. Maybe they could incorporate the Joey linking SW to the Hoppers. When setting timers we sometimes fill the 4 on one hopper for a time period and wish to add a 5th. We have to remember to do it later when we are in the room with the other hopper. Many times we duplicate recordings on both Hoppers because we cannot remember if we had set a timer on the other Hopper.

I was told this would happen by Dish when I had them installed when the Hopper first came out. My 2nd hopper hardly ever gets used for recordings because I can't access timers from my main watching tv room:(

I know that you can create a system with two solo nodes (in case you don't have a duo node) by connecting client ports, but I'm imagining some trucked DPP44's and connected duo nodes, if you know what I mean (4 hoppers?)

I know that you can create a system with two solo nodes (in case you don't have a duo node) by connecting client ports, but I'm imagining some trucked DPP44's and connected duo nodes, if you know what I mean (4 hoppers?)

That's what I've got, 1000.2 feeding a DPP44 and a cascaded DPP33. Two Duo Nodes, CLIENT ports hooked together, 4 Hoppers. Joey is on WiFi :D .

Here's a diagram I made back when I had three Hoppers :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

I dont see them adding more tuners.

Get a second Hopper. :)

Not only do you get 3 more tuners, plus you get 2 more TB in space (which in total is 3x more space then the DIRECTV Genie) plus you get Bluetooth Audio support in two rooms. :)
But you have to pay extra each month for the send Hopper. That is the problem w/ that plan.

That's what I've got, 1000.2 feeding a DPP44 and a cascaded DPP33. Two Duo Nodes, CLIENT ports hooked together, 4 Hoppers. Joey is on WiFi :D .

Here's a diagram I made back when I had three Hoppers :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

The only issue I see with this is we no longer carry DPP33 switches for installations as a tech now. There would have to be another option such as another duo node from the 44 or just don't do it lol.

But you have to pay extra each month for the send Hopper. That is the problem w/ that plan.

You think a 5 or 6 sat tuner Hopper would go for the same monthly fee as one with 3 sat tuners? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)