Could your next DVR have more than three tuners please?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
[h=3]DirecTV has 5 tuners; I've seen cable with up to 8, but Dish only has 3. Is it possible for you guys to upgrade your DVRs?[/h]

I dont see them adding more tuners.

Get a second Hopper. :)

Not only do you get 3 more tuners, plus you get 2 more TB in space (which in total is 3x more space then the DIRECTV Genie) plus you get Bluetooth Audio support in two rooms. :)

Not only do you get 3 more tuners, plus you get 2 more TB in space (which in total is 3x more space then the DIRECTV Genie) plus you get Bluetooth Audio support in two rooms. :)

I agree, while you can add external storage its another cost. Id rather pay the rcvr fee, add more tuners and double my storage. But to each their own.

DirecTV has 5 tuners; I've seen cable with up to 8, but Dish only has 3. Is it possible for you guys to upgrade your DVRs?

What is the reason that you need one DVR with 5 tuners instead of just getting two Hoppers? The problem with having one DVR with all of your tuners is when it craps out you are SOL for watching TV. At least with two Hoppers if one goes bad you still have the other to watch.

When the Hopper came out originally a lot of people had your mentality but after it's been out for over a year more and more people like it the way it is.

Plus 2 OTA and you have 8 tuners Plus PTA.. 2 Hoppers is the way to go.:D More tuners and space than I will ever need.

A Hopper system is expandable, you can upgrade to multiple hoppers. But a genie isn't (based on my understanding).

2 hoppers 6 tuners
3 hoppers 9 tuners...

I wouldn't want one box with all its tuners in it.

As Scott mentioned don't see additional tuners, two hoppers makes a great system with flexibility as well

A Hopper system is expandable, you can upgrade to multiple hoppers. But a genie isn't (based on my understanding).

2 hoppers 6 tuners
3 hoppers 9 tuners...

I wouldn't want one box with all its tuners in it.

Yes and no on the Genie. You cant add another Genie, but you can add another HR, doing basically the same thing as adding another Hopper.

Personally, I would want two for the redundancy, with either system.

Haven't there been posts here stating D* is looking at moving to FEWER tuners per box in the future?

Don't worry. Next year there will be a 6 tuner Hopper. Of course you'll have to pay a $100 - $200 fee for it and add a 2 year contract. Then the following year they'll have a 6 tuner model with sling with another upgrade fee and another 2 year contract extension!

Don't worry. Next year there will be a 6 tuner Hopper. Of course you'll have to pay a $100 - $200 fee for it and add a 2 year contract. Then the following year they'll have a 6 tuner model with sling with another upgrade fee and another 2 year contract extension!

Sounds about right lol. Surprised if they don't just wait every two years to really maximize those contracts.

The other benefit is if one Hopper dies you can still watch TV.

If your Genie dies, you would be wishing you had a Hopper.

Not only that but you can buy and own two Hoppers for about the same price as leasing a Genie. At least that was the price Direct gave me before I decided to leave.

I wouldn't fool with the regular hoppers right now, the hoppers with slings appear to be the only one they are currently pushing at this point and I've heard they are in fact coming out with another version of the hopper with you guessed it another tuner, will only require a single line from the dish to the node (thank god) or so I've heard but that could be office rumors.

But I do believe they have stopped regular hopper production.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)