Could your next DVR have more than three tuners please?

I dont think adding tuners takes much away from anyone. Most subscribers are not tuner sensitive, the heavy users are here.

Secondly, even though it's off topic, OLED is being pushed but it is not proven and still has issues. Sure, its the new direction, but its still an unknown. Display pricing is always expensive with new tech, and comes down some, but each year they find away to maintain pricing. OLED is high because of R&D, but dont think its gonna be cheap one day. Look at LCD, the good models still cost a lot, and its been out a long time.

:dead

This has been rehashed over a year ago when the original hopper came out, but here goes. It is much more cost effective to produce, maintain and support a single model that can be used by everyone, from single-TV users to 9-TV power users. A single 3-tuner module would be sufficient for most users, or even if half of the customer base needs more than 3 tuners, then 2+ Hoppers per customer would meet their needs. The point is the economies of scale of being able to manufacture en masse a single base hardware configuration that satisfies everyone. Manufacturing, maintaining and supporting a separate 5-tuner or 6-tuner model would be much more expensive per unit just because not as many of them need to be produced.

Edit: END OF THREAD. :)

Last edited:
:dead

This has been rehashed over a year ago when the original hopper came out, but here goes. It is much more cost effective to produce, maintain and support a single model that can be used by everyone, from single-TV users to 9-TV power users. A single 3-tuner module would be sufficient for most users, or even if half of the customer base needs more than 3 tuners, then 2+ Hoppers per customer would meet their needs. The point is the economies of scale of being able to manufacture en masse a single base hardware configuration that satisfies everyone. Manufacturing, maintaining and supporting a separate 5-tuner or 6-tuner model would be much more expensive per unit just because not as many of them need to be produced.
Award Winning Answer !!! :clap

You throw around the word "obviously" like you have some inside information on the cost of adding two tuners to an existing platform. I have no idea what it would cost Dish to have two more tuners added but if that cost could be justified with the addition of more subs, which would entail taking a portion of them away from "D", then who knows about the end game. Why did "E" come out with the Hopper and why did "D" come out with the Genie? No matter what their cost they will always charge whatever the market can stand. That's why they all have bean counters on the payroll. All I'm saying is, if the cost is in my wheelhouse than I would go for a 5 tuner Hopper. Why do you think that all of the major TV manufactures are coming out with OLED right now? Of course it's more expensive now but they are looking at the future and in the future OLED will be the number one choice by far.

I have no inside information but I have a lot of experience with the industry and spend a lot of time on here. Most people that spend a lot of time on here talking about Dish know that whenever something new comes out and has more features there is more cost involved. Whether Dish actually does have more cost involved or not, I have no idea. I just make educated guesses based on my experience and the majority of guys that follow on here know the same as I do.

Whats cheaper for Dish:

1 DVR fee for a 5 or 6 tuner device
2 DVR fee's for two 3 tuner devices ;)

On a serious note, now that I can duplicate timers on each one, id rather have two devices instead of it all packed on one. No reason to have a TB of space if I lose it all with a HDD crash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)