Couldn't VOOM free up some bandwidth by deleting SD channels with HD couterparts?

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
I know that SD channels don't use even close to as much bandwidth as HD channels, but wouldn't deleting or combining redundant channels help to make room for other unique channels or increased PQ (decreased compression)? The movies channels all have an HD feed and an SD feed for example. ESPN, and NFL Network also come to mind, not to mention the upcoming FSN channels. Why broadcast a channel in HD and SD when a standard TV can display the HD channels just fine and someone with an HD set would be crazy not to use the HD feed.

Why would a contract force your to simulcast is the question, although FSN and NFL network are not good examples. Only the games on FSN are HD, all other content is SD (see that makes more sense, or simply have 1 channel that can go HD to SD and back but that may be a problem with National channels... see ESPNHD). Whatever the reason, Voom people must see this as the reason to push for WM9/MPG4 sooner rather than later to use much less bitrate on SD that they are using now.

Typically when a carrier says to ESPN we want your channel. ESPN responds with an all or nothing attitude. The carrier has to pay for all of them and therefore all of them are calculated into the price of the service. Most folks wouldn't want to pay for channels they are not receiving regardless if they are SD duplicates of HD channels. Personally, I would pay exactly what I am paying now for Voom (~$67/month) if it was only the HD channels at their full potential because all of my SD cable favorites are included in my HOA fees. But that's just me. I see your points but it likely won't ever be a choice.

It also passifies J6P so he doesn't have to have those damn ugly black bars.

Seriously, I would like to see Voom take the Bull by the nuts on this contract issue and negotiate to not carry the SD channels as it makes no sense for Voom to do so.

No one has ordered Voom and not had a single HDTV in the house.. I'm SURE of it.

Dvlos said:
No one has ordered Voom and not had a single HDTV in the house.. I'm SURE of it.
I would have. I just got my pj in January and I've had the Dish HD Pack since it first came out. I would still have ordered Voom without an HD set. :yes

Dvlos said:
Wrong. I had Voom 2 months before I got my hd-lite projector, and I am still saving my dimes to get the Sony XBR. The cost was the same as cable, and the picture records cleaner on my MythTV and ReplayTV DVRs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts