Couple of questions regarding pay channels/ads and HD video mode..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FearTheVoices

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
NH
So a few weeks ago i posted about switching to DTV but the 24hr hour , or your locked in for 2yrs really irked me and i never signed up. Anyway...I think i may give it a try anyway if i can resolve these 3 things i have seen at my moms house who has DTV.

1. Whenever i got to a channel on the guide and then select that channel, even if it is a HD channel it will say it is in 480p or something like that. Then i cycle through all the endless scaling ratios, 480i, 480p, 720p ect...it does not look any different. The the intial setting of 480p actually looked like it is in HD. I think in her menu system everything was set to the native resolution of the broadcast, but what it shows in current signal does not reflect it until i actually cycle through them all and select it...Its very confusing and has bugged me for about 2yrs now seeing it on her system...Once i start messing with it i can't seem to stop...

2. These Cinema HD channels or whatever they are, i think they are in the 100-150 range or something along that range. Is there anyway to remove these things? I will never rent them and don't want to cycle through 4 pages until i get to the next set of actual channels i will watch... I imagine you can create custom faviorites list as i can do on my hopper also, but what i don't like about that is that if you are always on your favorites setup, you have no idea really when they are offering free previews of pay channels like HBO/Cinemax ect...

3. I "think" i "remember" getting bombarded with ads everywhere int he guide, not sure if this is correct. Maybe someone can elaborate on it...

If it helps she has a HR24, if i switch I will be getting the HR44

Thanks!

So a few weeks ago i posted about switching to DTV but the 24hr hour , or your locked in for 2yrs really irked me and i never signed up. Anyway...I think i may give it a try anyway if i can resolve these 3 things i have seen at my moms house who has DTV.

1. Whenever i got to a channel on the guide and then select that channel, even if it is a HD channel it will say it is in 480p or something like that. Then i cycle through all the endless scaling ratios, 480i, 480p, 720p ect...it does not look any different. The the intial setting of 480p actually looked like it is in HD. I think in her menu system everything was set to the native resolution of the broadcast, but what it shows in current signal does not reflect it until i actually cycle through them all and select it...Its very confusing and has bugged me for about 2yrs now seeing it on her system...Once i start messing with it i can't seem to stop...

Go into your/her settings and select only the HD resolutions you want, I have 720, 1080i and 1080p checked only.
Menu/Settings/Display/TV Resolutions.
Uncheck the 480 stuff entirely

2. These Cinema HD channels or whatever they are, i think they are in the 100-150 range or something along that range. Is there anyway to remove these things? I will never rent them and don't want to cycle through 4 pages until i get to the next set of actual channels i will watch... I imagine you can create custom faviorites list as i can do on my hopper also, but what i don't like about that is that if you are always on your favorites setup, you have no idea really when they are offering free previews of pay channels like HBO/Cinemax ect...

You can set up several Custom Guides, this will eliminate the PPV movie channels if you decide.

3. I "think" i "remember" getting bombarded with ads everywhere int he guide, not sure if this is correct. Maybe someone can elaborate on it...

D* does manage to clutter up the guide a bit with advertisement from time to time, I actually don't see them anymore.

If it helps she has a HR24, if i switch I will be getting the HR44

Thanks!

As for HBO and whatnot Freevues :)
Check here and you'll see that there is typically a Sticky Thread stating whats in Free mode a week or so ahead of time and thruout the Freevue.

I use a favorites list exclusively. The banners for the HBO freeviews usually still appear, as they are probably attached to channels commonly found in favorites list to attract those viewers. Also, the messages folder works on most receivers. And email. And their Facebook page. And their in-show ads. And, as Jimbo said, here!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)