Court tv?

When is Turner's other channels such as TBS up for renewal? I am thinking when that time comes they will demand even more of an increase for taking CourTv off the air that it might cost Dish Network in the end. If Dish has those channels taken off then there will be quite a few people switch providers over that and be special offerings for Dish Network customers if they switch. Turner will probably package Courtv at an even higher cost and raise their other channels up even higher to make up for the loss of viewership advertisement while not on Dish for a certain period of time. If they pulled this on Courtv then you can only imagine what it will be like for their other channels come renewal time. Could $3+ per year increase start becoming the norm instead of $1-2 per year? Enough is enough and if it were to raise $3 per year thats about $10 in 3 years. Some are getting a $10 increase this year if not more. That makes it even more than that over a period of 3 years. Anybody care to take a stab at how much our rates have increase over the past 3 years?

Yeah, I finally saw the court tv commercial today. It was like a bad infomercial. Guess I wasn't a big Lifetime channel watcher either. I didn't even know it was gone. I've had dish for about 8 years and I don't think I've ever watched Court TV. I know it sucks when your favorite channel goes away though!
I finally got a All American Direct CBS channel. Had to "move" to do it. I can't miss my Amazing Race and the OTA had reception at about 50%!

When is Turner's other channels such as TBS up for renewal? I am thinking when that time comes they will demand even more of an increase for taking CourTv off the air that it might cost Dish Network in the end. If Dish has those channels taken off then there will be quite a few people switch providers over that and be special offerings for Dish Network customers if they switch. Turner will probably package Courtv at an even higher cost and raise their other channels up even higher to make up for the loss of viewership advertisement while not on Dish for a certain period of time. If they pulled this on Courtv then you can only imagine what it will be like for their other channels come renewal time. Could $3+ per year increase start becoming the norm instead of $1-2 per year? Enough is enough and if it were to raise $3 per year thats about $10 in 3 years. Some are getting a $10 increase this year if not more. That makes it even more than that over a period of 3 years. Anybody care to take a stab at how much our rates have increase over the past 3 years?

AEP has gone up $20.00 since it's inception in 2001. That is $69.99 a month in 2001 to now $89.99 in 2007. That comes to an average increase of $3.33 a year. At this rate you will be paying about $9.99 more a month by 2010. IS it still worth all this money? It isn't for me anylonger and I have opted out of it and gone to top 120 with locals and hd pack. I now use blockbuster.com for all my premium movies, $17.99 for three dvds at a time/ unlimited each month.

In all fairness AEP has added a TON of channels since its inception too. There are price increases too, but there have been dozens of channels added to AEP in the last 6 years.

See ya
Tony

OK Dish - PLEASE bring back CourtTV soon! :eek:

My wife is getting addicted to Biography Channel (that temporarily replaced CourtTV) and I'm afraid when it goes away I will be forced to upgrade my package to keep her happy!!!! :D

In all fairness AEP has added a TON of channels since its inception too. There are price increases too, but there have been dozens of channels added to AEP in the last 6 years.

See ya
Tony

I think that is what I object to the most. THey keep adding more channels that I do not need or want and FORCE me to pay more for what I do want. :mad:

Court TV

I wonder the same. Why is only Dish Network having an issue with them or is it one of those things where it is Dish Network first then it will be others later? We are paying for the channel whether it is on the air or not - or in other words, the service costs us the same amount whether we have the channel or not. Sure we are gaining Hallmark Movie Channel in its place but I think that was planned on being added and probably part of that price increase we are going to see whether CourtTv was going to be removed or not. More money for Charlie and Co. if the channel is not on so he probably stands to gain more than he will lose by not having that particular channel on. It is not so much of a mainstream channel like some of the others that were threatened to be dropped in the past were.

Do we have Hallmark Movie channel already?, I can't find it in the guide, could someone give me a channel number? I would love to watch this channel. Thanks.

Wow, that's the most detail I've heard out of a negotiation.

So much for non-disclosure.....

Interesting. Both sides have a point. E* wants to move them to AT120, but it will cost 70% more. Turner wants them to keep it in AT60, even offered to extend deal at current rates. E* decides to play hardball and pull the channel to force their hand.

Look for Court TV to cave for about half the difference....

So, in the meantime, Dish keeps all of the revenue from not carrying this channel (minus what it's costing them to provide Biography at the AT60 level), CourtTV loses 11 million customers instead of 3 million, and the ad revenue that goes with it.

If this board is any indication (and for Court TV I doubt it is), very few are leaving Dish Network due to this channel not being available. I'm not really happy hearing that Dish is attempting to move more core channels to higher programming packages, and I think that CourtTV is an unfortunate victim of sports programming ultimately. With ESPN, and some others still in AT60, the profit for E* is gone from that package.

By my scorecard, E* is winning this round, but I think that the customer is ultimately going to lose the war. If this were to continue, AT60 would become an enhanced "family pack" with only second and third tier channels, forcing everyone to have at least AT120 to get the key channels that most people want.

Bring on ala carte...

Last edited:
Do we have Hallmark Movie channel already?, I can't find it in the guide, could someone give me a channel number? I would love to watch this channel. Thanks.

Hallmark Movie Channel (187) is part of Dish Family Pack ONLY right now. This is not to be confused with the Hallmark Channel (185) which has been on AT180 for a long time.

See ya
Tony

Court Tv is one of my favorite channels but I work in law enforcement so I understand why some don't care. Luckily for Dish, I just made my third and final payment for NBA League Pass. If Directv would give me League Pass for free or a reduced price, I would be taking my $130 a month bill to D*.

Court tv

Hallmark Movie Channel (187) is part of Dish Family Pack ONLY right now. This is not to be confused with the Hallmark Channel (185) which has been on AT180 for a long time.

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony, I was aware of the Hallmark Channel (185). Do you think Hallmark Movie Channel will be added when the packages change in Feb? I have the Gold pak now.

Hey TS7

My wife is getting addicted to Biography Channel (that temporarily replaced CourtTV) and I'm afraid when it goes away I will be forced to upgrade my package to keep her happy!!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Hey TS7--Did you ever think that that might be Charlie's plan...and not that Turner was asking more $s to carry Courttv. After all, it was pretty neat what he did with the distant nets.

I miss Courttv as well, for what it's worth!

Also would like to see Logo, and Cinemax HD. I'm sure Charlie will get to it...guess he has his way!

Geez, why don't we just pay Dish anyway and not get any channels?

I would just LOVE it if we could pay Dish for the channels we WANT and not be forced to also buy channels we never watch. I dream of a day when a la carte is a reality....

I always wake up.

EdGrimley

If this board is any indication (and for Court TV I doubt it is), very few are leaving Dish Network due to this channel not being available.
I'm sure Courtv will be back sooner or later, but due to pressure at the home front, I signed up with Time Warner today.

We were an AEP subscriber. I really liked the quality of the 625 we had compared to the junk DVR from Time Warner, but Courtv was very important to my wife.

/Benjamin

So, in the meantime, Dish keeps all of the revenue from not carrying this channel (minus what it's costing them to provide Biography at the AT60 level), CourtTV loses 11 million customers instead of 3 million, and the ad revenue that goes with it.

If this board is any indication (and for Court TV I doubt it is), very few are leaving Dish Network due to this channel not being available. I'm not really happy hearing that Dish is attempting to move more core channels to higher programming packages, and I think that CourtTV is an unfortunate victim of sports programming ultimately. With ESPN, Vs., and some others still in AT60, the profit for E* is gone from that package.

By my scorecard, E* is winning this round, but I think that the customer is ultimately going to lose the war. If this were to continue, AT60 would become an enhanced "family pack" with only second and third tier channels, forcing everyone to have at least AT120 to get the key channels that most people want.

Bring on ala carte...

Why do customers expect high end content on low end pricing packages? That's just makes no sense. I understand it's not HD or considered "premium" for all intents and purposes. But ultimately popularity determines content quality. DISH will continue to put its best channels where the money is. If you want the car with the bells and whistles, you pay more, subscription television isn't much different.

As far as Time Warner sticking it to DISH down the road, they might try. But as I've stated before, Charlie doesn't like threats.

Why do customers expect high end content on low end pricing packages? That's just makes no sense. I understand it's not HD or considered "premium" for all intents and purposes. But ultimately popularity determines content quality. DISH will continue to put its best channels where the money is. If you want the car with the bells and whistles, you pay more, subscription television isn't much different.

But that's exactly why so many are anxious for ala carte to become a reality. We don't want to buy ESPN so that we can get TBS or TNT. We don't want to biuy Lifetime so we can get The History Channel. There is a pretty small list of channels that a large majority of people expect to get when they sub to pay tv. For years with cable, it was the analog channels. If you want additional Biography material, great, upgrade to digital and get the Biography channel with that upgrade. But when the key channels start getting bumped up to higher packages, in this specific case it's the MSO that wants to bump a standard channel, which by statements above they were offered the same carriage deal for, into a higher package, I don't like the trend. It looks to me like Charlie is paying more to other providers for other channels, and doesn't want to continue with the former pricing of Court TV.

If this board is any indication (and for Court TV I doubt it is), very few are leaving Dish Network due to this channel not being available. I'm not really happy hearing that Dish is attempting to move more core channels to higher programming packages, and I think that CourtTV is an unfortunate victim of sports programming ultimately. With ESPN, Vs., and some others still in AT60, the profit for E* is gone from that package.

Bring on ala carte...

VS. in AT60?.How come it only shows it in AT180?.:confused: