cross site scripting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know the type, their printer or something doesn't work when you give the computer back because there's no drivers... and they a) threw away the disc and b) aren't capable of going to the hardware vendor's website and downloading the s/w. Or, their HDD, video card, mouse, etc dies 3 weeks later and it's your fault 'cause "you're the last person who worked on it".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I like users who continue to use Internet Explorer. They pay me to wipe their computers and start over every 6-12 months.... They ask how to stop it from happening and I tell them "stop using Internet Explorer" and most reply with, "but, I, uhhhh..." and have no good reason. I just shrug my shoulders and let them be.

A few (that I didn't want to deal with anymore) I actually installed Firefox, changed the desktop and start menu icons to read "Internet Explorer", changed the icon to IE's icon, installed an IE theme to FF and they're none the wiser !! Well, at least that I know of 'cause I haven't heard from them since. :D

Enlighten me. What is actually happening that needs "wiping" and is caused by Internet Explorer?

You know the type, their printer or something doesn't work when you give the computer back because there's no drivers... and they a) threw away the disc and b) aren't capable of going to the hardware vendor's website and downloading the s/w. Or, their HDD, video card, mouse, etc dies 3 weeks later and it's your fault 'cause "you're the last person who worked on it".

The ones that can't understand why they need an up to date anti-virus program even though their computer gets horribly screwed up every month or so....

Or, they turn their computer on only when they use it and few, if any, updates ever get applied. And when it does tell them, they postpone it because "it slows everything down" while it updates.

I was getting that over the weekend and had never seen it before. I googled for a fix, which I did using IE Internet Tools option and didn't see it again. Have I done some irreparable harm to my machine?

Probably not.

Researching it appears that the issue was with our CDN (Cloud) serivce which was having issues over the weekend, so some scripts that are used here appeared to be coming from a different server and not our normal CDN server name. Because scripts were being reported coming from a place other then what was expected it would have caused those warnings.

This is the only thing I could find besides an issue with our local caching on our server which was causing some other strange issues. The issue here was fixed by clearing the cache. I am not sure if the two were related.

Yes, I haven't seen the warning since the cache was cleared. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SatelliteGuys

I always find the IE (Microsoft) bashing an "interesting" subject. I have used it forever. I have tried firefox and chrome in the past, but went back to IE after a time. Over all the years of use of IE, I have never had any problems with it causing problems with any of my computers. One would also think that if a program is as bad as some people say it is, no one would use it and it would go off the market. Word of mouth is a very good advertising "agency." Maybe I, and my machines, are the "one in a million", but it has never caused me any reason to use a different browser.

One would also think that if a program is as bad as some people say it is, no one would use it and it would go off the market. Word of mouth is a very good advertising "agency."
IE comes pre-installed on 90% of computers out there. People don't choose to install it.

IE comes pre-installed on 90% of computers out there. People don't choose to install it.
Very true. But if it is so bad, why don't tens of millions of people remove it and bitch to Microsoft?
I am sure some do, but if no one installs any of a companies updates, they will catch on that people don't like their program and fix it.

But if it is so bad, why don't tens of millions of people remove it and bitch to Microsoft?
Think the vast majority don't even know there are alternatives.
Many times when I am called to help someone with their 'Internet problems and I ask what browser they're using the answer is Yahoo or the name of their ISP as that's what the browsers home page is set to when using many ISP's pre configured email client set up programs, or EMachine, HP or DELL. Can't think of an instance when the problem wasn't IE related.
IE is updated even if you don't use it via automatic updates. Start>All Programs> Windows Update uses IE as it's engine. It's also the back-end for automatic updates(or at least was thru VISTA") so removal is not recommended. *haven't investigated 7 or 8 but would guess it's using some part of IE.
What really turned me off of IE was news that M$ would cease producing a version of IE for Apple MACs unless Apple provided the source code for the OS. (which they didn't) Tells me IE is 'hooked' into the OS. Not a good thing when you'd be better served by a 'sandbox'.
Haven't used IE since FF came out. But since then I've migrated to Chrome on the Widoze machines. FF is included on the Ubuntu Linux boxes I run(They used to be windoze, ok, one is dual boot). But I've installed Chromium on 'em also.
Windoze Browsers http://download.cnet.com/windows/browsers/
Ubuntu: just click on the Software Center, enter browser in the search text area.

Think the vast majority don't even know there are alternatives..........
That many people know that little about their computers, maybe they should not have one.

Be careful about cnet downloads. They were good at one time. I have found more and more garbage included in downloads over the last couple of years.
I guess I will stay with the 1/2 of 1 percent of users that have never had any problems with IE.
Be happy that Microsoft made IE. It helps keep you repair guys in business......

That many people know that little about their computers, maybe they should not have one.

Most people know nothing about the technical side of things, but still use them. Think cars, stereos, furnaces, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONE HUNDRED MILLION THANKS!

Delete? NO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)