Status
Please reply by conversation.

prsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Puerto Rico
Hi:
I just received from my son this fta receiver yesterday. Doing some reading I found out that some people adapted a HD via usb to this machine. Because I'm new in this can any one explain me how I do that? Thx:confused:

Thats easy,go buy a internal hardrive either IDE or SATA then buy a usb enclosoure for it. They are pretty cheap usually around $30. Just make sure the housing support the drive interface you choose. Example if you buy a IDE drive make sure the housing supports IDE ans if a SATA drive then SATA.Let the 7000 format the drive not your computor as it has to be FAT32 not NTFS.

Thx

Thats easy,go buy a internal hardrive either IDE or SATA then buy a usb enclosoure for it. They are pretty cheap usually around $30. Just make sure the housing support the drive interface you choose. Example if you buy a IDE drive make sure the housing supports IDE ans if a SATA drive then SATA.Let the 7000 format the drive not your computor as it has to be FAT32 not NTFS.

Thx. I'll do that tomorrow.:)

It might be cheaper, and a whole lot easier... to just get a pre-packaged external USB drive.
There are choices up to around 300gb, on sale for around $99.

And let's face it... this is gettin' to be the shopping season! - :eek:

It might be cheaper, and a whole lot easier... to just get a pre-packaged external USB drive.

And let's face it... this is gettin' to be the shopping season! - :eek:

The problem with getting one of the new drives is that the drives have sleep modes and backup modes ect on them and the CS7000 will not work with them. If you can find a older style one with a good old on/off switch it would probally work if not your best bet is a usb enclosure.

i know a thread a while back listed the adapter cables so you could use an older Hard Drives or even make them usb (externals)

a list of compatible hard drives would be nice :)

coolsat site says " connect an external hard drive up to 500GB (Fat32 formatted) and record hours of programming. " or from the listing "Max 500 GB external USB 2.0 Host Hard Disk Drive (Fat32 format)"

Yes, I've posted links to sources of the USB to IDE adapters.
Search on some of those key words and my name, if you like.

However, if you read the threads on the VisionSat IV-200 PVR (check the review section), that unit is working with the currently available pre-boxed USB drives.

I have used both kinds (though not on a PVR) and I'd have to give the nod to the pre-made units.
You buy it, plug it in, follow the instructions, and if you can't make it work, take it back.
Get a box of parts to assemble, and the chances you'll be able to return things is much lower.

If you are an experimenter like me, by all means try to roll your own.
If you are an end user (we call 'em appliance operators :cool: ) , then I strongly suggest a pre-built unit.

I recently picked up an external USB 2 case, for some tests.
Was about $26, had a quiet fan, took either IDE or SATA drives, came in silver or black, has its own power supply, and was quite attractive.
Still not getting the transfer performance out of it, I should.
That may or may not be the fault of the unit, as I have other external drives hooked to multiple computers, all of which perform similarly.
Would still be fine for a PVR, though.
Oh,, it has a push button on the front panel for backup , but that relies on supplied software I never loaded, so it's not a problem.

Then, I have a number of smaller USB-powered boxes, based on 2.5" laptop drives.
They're Western Digital Passport external drives, at 40, 60, and 80gb.
These have a rubber bottom case, are small, silent, run cold, and perform same as above.
While I would recommend a unit with more gigabytes, the minute I get an FTA PVR, one of these drives will be hooked to it immediately! :cool:
Later, I'll look for a big, quiet, boxed drive.

edit:
I'm not sure if this is a good example of what I'm talking about, but...it might be.
Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 320GB eSATA & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - ST303204FDA1E2-Rk.
Seagate: FRYS.com #: 5189126

* Capacity: 320GB
* eSATA & USB 2.0
* 16MB Buffer
* 7200RPM
* 5 Year Warranty

These prices are constantly changing, but today it's advertized for $90.
I wouldn't order one, as I prefer to buy locally, and have an easy return if necessary.
...and, you might want to read the box, or visit the mfgr's web site to make sure it's suitable.

Last edited:
Will this work?

Yes, I've posted links to sources of the USB to IDE adapters.
Search on some of those key words and my name, if you like.

However, if you read the threads on the VisionSat IV-200 PVR (check the review section), that unit is working with the currently available pre-boxed USB drives.

I have used both kinds (though not on a PVR) and I'd have to give the nod to the pre-made units.
You buy it, plug it in, follow the instructions, and if you can't make it work, take it back.
Get a box of parts to assemble, and the chances you'll be able to return things is much lower.

If you are an experimenter like me, by all means try to roll your own.
If you are an end user (we call 'em appliance operators :cool: ) , then I strongly suggest a pre-built unit.

I recently picked up an external USB 2 case, for some tests.
Was about $26, had a quiet fan, took either IDE or SATA drives, came in silver or black, has its own power supply, and was quite attractive.
Still not getting the transfer performance out of it, I should.
That may or may not be the fault of the unit, as I have other external drives hooked to multiple computers, all of which perform similarly.
Would still be fine for a PVR, though.
Oh,, it has a push button on the front panel for backup , but that relies on supplied software I never loaded, so it's not a problem.

Then, I have a number of smaller USB-powered boxes, based on 2.5" laptop drives.
They're Western Digital Passport external drives, at 40, 60, and 80gb.
These have a rubber bottom case, are small, silent, run cold, and perform same as above.
While I would recommend a unit with more gigabytes, the minute I get an FTA PVR, one of these drives will be hooked to it immediately! :cool:
Later, I'll look for a big, quiet, boxed drive.

edit:

I'm not sure if this is a good example of what I'm talking about, but...it might be.
Seagate FreeAgent Pro Data Mover 320GB eSATA & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - ST303204FDA1E2-Rk.
Seagate: FRYS.com #: 5189126

* Capacity: 320GB
* eSATA & USB 2.0
* 16MB Buffer
* 7200RPM
* 5 Year Warranty

These prices are constantly changing, but today it's advertized for $90.
I wouldn't order one, as I prefer to buy locally, and have an easy return if necessary.
...and, you might want to read the box, or visit the mfgr's web site to make sure it's suitable.

:) I have a boken 510 that the HD was working alrigth. Can use this one and adapt it in a case? Or it would better if I use a usb stick of 1gb capacity?Thx:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts