CS5000 & decoding AC3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
I finally opened my wallet to get AC3 decoded via the optic output on my CS5000.

I ordered it (CyberHome CH-SRD 600H System) from "Wierdstuff® WAREHOUSE" for $14.95. It came double boxed ready to survive a nuclear explosion with lots of foam peanut stuffings. Very well packed.

First impression was, "this is a lot of cool stuff". I plugged it all in without cracking the instruction manual, of course.

I turned it on...nothing. Played with all the buttons, switches, still nothing.
Then, I recalled that the CS5000 has A/V setups. So I quickly thumbed my way into the setup menu, and sure enough, the optical S/PDIF port was OFF.

Turned it ON and tried again. IT WORKS!

Cool beans. Now, I can hear what I was missing with no less than six speakers through the worst headphones I have ever wrapped around my head. No bass to speak of. Yea, they work, but I won't be using them.

The decoder works fine and for $14.95, I can't complain. I may order another decoder for the second CS5000 I recently snared from eBay for the bedroom.

This will hold me over till I decide which new HD receiver I will order in the future.

Six speakers for only two ears. I wonder who thought of that? :eureka Reminds me of the days folks were handing over big bucks for QUAD headphones, which never sounded better than two speakers in the first place.

Yes, it really works. I recommend it for those systems without AC3 decoding.

:)

i've never used the headphones from my cyberhome system.... i just plugged in a powered pair of computer speakers.... so if anyone needs a replacement set of headphones I have one lol :)
glad you got your AC3 fix :)

My hearing is so bad that I probably couldn't tell the difference between a decent headphone & the cyberhome's, but the decoder works great. I use the TV speakers - not great, but works for me. Glad you found the option in your Coolsat and got AC3 working.

glad its working...yep some of those sonic voom/cyberhome headphones are inexpensive ways to get AC-3

Thanks for the info. I came across a thread "out there somewhere" a while back about using these lil cheapie decoders to enable AC3 [for us cheapie guys...lol], but lost the link. I ordered mine today. After Ice posted the alt brand, Googleing it I found yet another thread over on Sadouns board about this stuff. From what I can tell, those guys are able to plug in an 1/8th" stereo<->rca into the [proprietary?] output port and get some of the analog programming into their legacy AF systems. Dunno what this one looks like and it will be next weeek before UPS gnd gets it to me. I ordered the 2nd set of headphones as well with the intent to 'jack' the connector and try to mix down the six discrete outputs back to 2 ch stereo.
Fizbi, when you get yours in keep us posted. I'm particularaly intrested in if the output port will accept an 1/8th" stereo jack. The pic of the ones we got are different from the Sonic Vooms discussed over on Sadouns board.

Got my decoder today and it works great. Listened to retrojams for a little while. I hooked it up to my t.v. with a 1/8" stereo to rca adapter cable. The volume was low though so I need figure out a better way to do that, but overall I am very pleased.

Yeah there is a volume there. I raised it some, but I literally only spent a minute or two with it hooked up to the t.v. After I hooked it up I watched retrojams with the headphones (which started to give me a headache).

BTW, does retrojams have awful video quality for everyone else as well?

I think I had to turn the volume all the way up on my Sonic to get acceptable levels.

And yes, the video quality on most of the stuff on RetroJams is pretty poor, it's not just your setup.

... I'm particularaly intrested in if the output port will accept an 1/8th" stereo jack. The pic of the ones we got are different from the Sonic Vooms discussed over on Sadouns board.

Yes, it supports the 1/8" jack. However, you do lose some audio as it is split up. You would really need to combine all the audio back into a stereo configuration to hear all the sound. If you are going to do that much work, why not just buy an inexpensive AC3 capable entertainment system?

I could have gone that route, but I'm not ready for it yet. For now, the cheezy converter works and I only use it for those PBS shows that I missed the first time around.

When the right HD programming and FTA receiver become available, I will upgrade to a AC3 entertainment system. Just not there yet. I may just wait until the next generatin of HD receivers hit the market.

My ideal HD receiver will have these qualitites:
1. No cooling fan...I can't stand the noise.
2. A way to fine tune the antenna motor without jumping through menus.
3. Real PIP display so you can monitor two channels at once (same SAT)
4. Other things I have yet to think of...:D

I got mine in a couple of days ago and havent had time to play.Combining it back to stereo should be relatively simple. If necessary a simple stereo pre-amp chip could be added following the resistor bridge mixing stage. The loss of volume is likely due to the desired AF content 'in motion' to the alternate front/rear speakersets that is not being picked up by the stereo jack. I like the idea of the powered PC speakers too.
I'm like you, except for a very few instances AC3 is not a priority ATM. A low end toslink capable system would be a waste as I have my sights set higher too. The 'cheapie decoder' solution piped back into my legacy AF system should do all I need it to do for now.
That's a mighty abmbitious wish list for an HD FTA stb. [Acronyms....gotta love 'em........lol] I'm thinking along similar lines but add S2 capabilities to the list. An additional group of SD/HD inputs that would allow PVR recording from alternate sources would be nice as well. I dont really understand why the Korean and China mfgrs dont do that with current models anyway. Considering the other toes they are stepping on, I can see them worried about TIVO. Now heres the REAL wish list item, stream loop out for a stand alone DC II CAM "sidecar type" unit. Anyone want to drop Big M a line and see if they will put that in production for us.........lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)