Cspan analog NTSC channel is going to disappear

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sammughal

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2020
Toronto Ontario Canada
Analog and Satellite enthusiasts.

It’s heartbreaking and sad to hear that the last North American NTSC analog satellite tv channel CSPAN will forever disappear, in fall of this year (2021) on the cband satellite system. This marks over 40 years of analog cband satellite tv transmission coming to a full end. If any of you are into analog cband satellite be sure to check out cspan on analog cband satellite. It’s located on transponder 7 (or put 7 on your receiver as the channel) and the satellite location is AMC 11 131W and have a look at it one last time before it’s GONE FOREVER. RIP analog tv for good. I know most of you guys don’t care but for the ones that do I’m just letting you know. Hope everyone is safe and well.

Reactions: k.r.
C-SPAN is owned and operated by a consortium of cable companies and is paid for through subscriber fees, not taxes. That's why they encrypt. But if you are truly interested in the public affairs content C-SPAN broadcasts, they, along with many other outlets as well as the government agencies that produce much of the content in the first place, make it freely available online.

Reactions: SamCdbs and clucas
I’m more saddened about loosing the last analog signal over its content. Sure FM modulated analog NTSC signals take up a lot of space and the quality is only 480p on a full transponder but for museum presentation I think the analog signal should’ve been preserved but I could understand the costly monthly fees in renting the transponder.

I want to tune this in before it disappears. What do I need to do? I have a Toshiba TRX-80 receiver that supports analog and an orthomode feed with 2 LNBs fed into a multiswitch.
Put it on 131w ch7 and there you are.You might have to use the fine tuning it the Toshiba to get it clear.As I recall it used to be offset a bit on the carrier.

Well, I could hear it... Never could get it to clear up with Fine Tuning. I connected the receiver directly to my Vertical LNB. Tried everything I could think of but I have no experience with analog. I tried it on a Uniden UST-5500 and only had a black screen but clear audio. No remote with the Uniden, so I don't know if I can get it to display video.

Attachments

• 20210831_121735.mp4
    34.4 MB
How well is reception with a 1.2m dish? I’m interested in seeing if I can receive C-SPAN with it. I do have a perfectly good 10' mesh dish, but I record TV programs with it constantly, plus I really don’t want to move it to 131W because it isn’t motorized; the 1.2m dish, however, is much easier to move. If a 1.2m dish isn’t sufficient, looks like I’ll have to do some work with the 10' dish once the 31st comes around.

There is a Powervu encrypted mux on the adjacent satellite at 129W on the same frequency/polarity as C-Span. That could cause interference for a small dish with 2+ degree beamwidth. But 131W footprint shows a 40 or 41dBW signal to much of California. Why not try?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

There is a Powervu encrypted mux on the adjacent satellite at 129W on the same frequency/polarity as C-Span. That could cause interference for a small dish with 2+ degree beamwidth. But 131W footprint shows a 40 or 41dBW signal to much of California. Why not try?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I just really don't want to spend $30+ on an old analog receiver and find out C-SPAN won't come in. I've looked around on various forums and nobody has answered this particular question, to my knowledge.

I should note, I’m in the 42dBW region of the footprint for 131W.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)