CSPAN analog still there?

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
Is analog CSPAN still up on AMC 11 (131w)? I got into FTA on the digital end but would like to pick up a cheap analog receiver to try getting an analog channel before they are all gone just to be able to say I did it. :D

Reactions: k.r.
Why do they keep that analog feed alive... wouldn't it be cheaper to lease part of a transponder for a digital feed than pay for a whole transponder for one analog feed?

The government controls the cameras

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes, the feeds from the floors of the U.S. House and Senate are controlled and produced by those legislative bodies themselves, then offered up to any interested media organization along with being streamed for free on the House and Senate websites. In that sense, what C-SPAN gets is no different than what anyone else gets. The only times C-SPAN is allowed to bring its own cameras into the House and Senate is on the first day of legislative sessions and some joint sessions like the State of the Union Address.

The C-SPAN channels broadcast a huge amount of content outside of House and Senate floor debates, though, and most of that is produced and owned by C-SPAN itself or gathered from pool feeds with other broadcasters.

CSPAN is outstanding for any major political sutuation in DC...and sometimes other countries elections....no commercial breaks and no biased announcers explaining the situation...but it is niche like cable was supposed to be...instead of the mish mash we have today
Yes, the feeds from the floors of the U.S. House and Senate are controlled and produced by those legislative bodies themselves, then offered up to any interested media organization along with being streamed for free on the House and Senate websites. In that sense, what C-SPAN gets is no different than what anyone else gets. The only times C-SPAN is allowed to bring its own cameras into the House and Senate is on the first day of legislative sessions and some joint sessions like the State of the Union Address.

The C-SPAN channels broadcast a huge amount of content outside of House and Senate floor debates, though, and most of that is produced and owned by C-SPAN itself or gathered from pool feeds with other broadcasters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: kofi123
Still there,at least as of a couple days ago anyway.
I have looked around on ebay and see a ton of old equipment on there. I don't want to buy the wrong thing. What receiver / lnb combination are you using to get this waylew? Anyone else still getting this analog please feel free to comment as well with your equipment. :)

Just using the old 4DTV,922,but pretty much any old IRD or analog receiver will do,as long as it works with an LNB.You don't want to have to be messing with an LNA/downconverter anymore :biggrin2.
I've got a half dozen or so old receivers that would work,if they still work,flying around here.

Just using the old 4DTV,922,but pretty much any old IRD or analog receiver will do,as long as it works with an LNB.You don't want to have to be messing with an LNA/downconverter anymore :biggrin2.
I've got a half dozen or so old receivers that would work,if they still work,flying around here.
Yes, I was finding old analog receivers (from the late 80's I think) that had a 70 MHz IF input on them. :rolleyes:

I'm using a Motorola DSR 4500X - this model is capable of receiving DC2 un-encrypted channels ZK and FP mode as well as tuning in analog channels -CSPAN. It cost about $75 at the time. I suppose if you're looking for a dish mover, then an old receiver would be better. If getting CSPAN + a few other SD DC2 channels is better - then consider a DSR 4500x

Reactions: FTA4PA
I'm using a Motorola DSR 4500X - this model is capable of receiving DC2 un-encrypted channels ZK and FP mode as well as tuning in analog channels -CSPAN. It cost about $75 at the time. I suppose if you're looking for a dish mover, then an old receiver would be better. If getting CSPAN + a few other SD DC2 channels is better - then consider a DSR 4500x
I have a Motorola DSR 4410 here that I bought really cheap a while back on eBay to try out the DC2 stuff that iBoston posted about. I wonder if it has the capability of tuning the analog CSPAN like your 4500X?

EDIT: Looks like maybe. Specifications state: 'AN ADVANCED DIGITAL SATELLITE RECEIVER FOR ANALOG SERVICE CONVERSION AND BASIC CABLE OPERATIONS'

Last edited:
I have a Motorola DSR 4410 here that I bought really cheap a while back on eBay to try out the DC2 stuff that iBoston posted about. I wonder if it has the capability of tuning the analog CSPAN like your 4500X?

EDIT: Looks like maybe. Specifications state: 'AN ADVANCED DIGITAL SATELLITE RECEIVER FOR ANALOG SERVICE CONVERSION AND BASIC CABLE OPERATIONS'

Maybe means TRY IT!
It also could mean using the ASI port (digital) vs composite video (analog) to be used to switch cable headends from analog to digital.Good luck!

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)