CSPAN channels going digital

Status
Please reply by conversation.
thanks for the info photoman. Glad they're keeping the analog. Oh its hard not to say more about that lol.

Why would they encrypt that?I thought those channels were made to be available for the public good like the Canadian version we have.

I don't think it's being encrypted, just moving from analog to DCII broadcast. It should be ZK so everyone can still watch.

Congress should be lobbied to mandate that these channels are made available to the public in a format that is most widely available to home viewers. Once the DCII channels are established and head ends are transitioned, the analog channels are sure to be switched off. Distributing in DCII format will eliminate the reception of these public information channels for the majority of the FTA DTH market.

Sounds like a cause for Scott to consider for highlighting in The Satellite Dish!

If they are going digital they should make them DVB then instead of DCII or worst case scenerio both

Since they are already paying for a whole analog transponder they could split it in half and have DVB on one TP and DC II on another...but that would make sense ;)

Why would they encrypt that?I thought those channels were made to be available for the public good like the Canadian version we have.

CSPAN was created by cable companies, funded by them and also DISH and DirecTV.

I used to watch them in the morning before going to work, but switched to the all HD Dish package when it came out. Do miss watching some of the duances that call in :) Wish I could see it on DVB, though you can watch it on their website, live.

Last edited:
What's next?
Distributing PBS in DCII?
Come on, this is beyond stupid!

I remember years ago when the PBS channels were on C-Band analog. They were encrypted with the Videocipher II system, but were in a zero key mode so that any videocipher unit could view it...

C-Span should be in a DVB format so that people aren't forced to buy the receivers from one company (Motorola) to be able to view the channel.

I'm betting that somebody at Motorola did a great job of selling the technical specs on bandwidth savings, etc for going to digicipher digital, but I figure that they failed to mention that it required a Motorola Digicipher unit to view..

I agree - Scott should write up about this one in "The Satellite Dish"..

PBS used DC2 for distribution for many years.
I just hope CSPAN doesn't use 29.27 combo mode. It that case, 4dtv's wouldn't be able to receive it.
I wonder what will happen to the CSPAN 3 dvb feed that is on the same transponder as CSPAN2?

CSPAN3 on AMC 10 has 3 ch in the mux, all running the same (CSPAN3) SD content ATM. Lyngsat has them as DVB-PowerVu but the CS 6K sees them and show a CAS of free.
I know it would be wishful thinking, and totally out of character for M to give a damn about the consumers side of DCII, but it would be nice if they 'planned 'on releasing a nextgen consumer DCII unit with all the 21st century creature comforts, new life for our 4D service?
It makes no sense to broadcast CSPAN in a proprietary format, ZK or not. In fact it defeats the purpose of the concept. Either the exec's at Big M have a big picture plan for consumer DCII or are trying to pull a fast one. I know which one I wouldnt put money on.

Just one more reason to keep that old, previously authorized DSR-4200V out of the closet :) The Digitrans receivers can be used for this as well...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)