Cumpass For Finding Satelites

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
ANY compass works

i have a cheap camping compass from walmart somewhere in my truck, haven't seen it in a few months, normally dont need it

Each satellite appears at a different point in the sky relative to a person's location. So, upon learning the coordinates for a particular satellite, one only needs to refer to any regular compass to find that particular coordinate. So if a satellite appears at 208* relative to your location, you only need a compass to determine where 208* is. The satellite is in that approximate area.

Now, us techs will often use a tool that has a compass and also has an inclinometer so that we may check the direction of the satellite as well as the "height" of the satellite above the horizon. I personally use a Suunto Inclinometer. However, I could do it with a cheapie compass. In fact, I have a cheapie compass from JVI Parts that I got free at a CES show they were handing out as promo stuff.

As far as actually aiming the dish, we can use meters from all varying degrees of complexity. I prefer Birdog or SuperBuddy, but it can be done with a simple $10 cheapo. If you want to "see" the satellite, you'll need a telescope.

From years of surveying with a handheld compass and inclinometer (I own a large variety of them.), the beggest problem is holding it steady. One or two degrees in a tight line of sight windo situation can make the difference between an install that last 6 months to just a couple of years, before being treed out.

If you can rig a makeshift plane table with a cheap camera tripod and a small piece of plywood, you would be much better off.

A forestry compass transit would be even better.

In very tight situations, I prefer a precision compass and a surveyor's transit or theodolite. You can lock it into place and check out ALL satellite positions. After having done a hand sighting survey, a transit survey really opens up your eyes. YOU CAN SEE AND PREDICT ALL LINE OF SIGHT ISSUES.

For most, however, a Silva brand plate compass, a rigged plane table and a string straw and protractor sighting clinometer is the best deal. You can get very accurate results, inexpensively.

my neibor wants to get dish but some dish installers told her no line of sight so i want to get a compass so i can stand out side her house and see if i can get 61.5 or 110

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts