Curious about the number for each satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

huertaaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
I'm curious as to where the number for each satellite comes from, for example 129 degrees W for Galaxy 27. I understand that from my house, to point a BUD at Galaxy 27, the azimuth is 236.9 using true north and for magnetic north the azimuth is 242.2 degrees. For Galaxy 27, starting at 0 degrees (north) and going clockwise, you point at the azimuth stated above (southwest quadrant for Galaxy 27) and you end up pointing at the satellite. If I continue clockwise from Galaxy 27 to 360 degrees (north again), the complement is 123.1 using true north and 117.8 using magnetic north. So, my question is...where does the 129 W come from? The same question goes for ALL satellites. Is there a default place on earth from which those numbers (129 W) are calculated.

huertaaj

The satellite is positioned at a point ~22300 miles directly above the equator at that longitude, as designated by degrees west (or east) of Greenwich, London, UK.

OK, so how would I find out which satellites I should be able to receive a decent signal from given my location and assuming no obstrucitons.

I'd say 45 degrees either way from your longitude ( more if you have an extremely clear line of sight). I'm about the same longitude you are, and I have no trouble hitting 43W when the leaves are off the trees. People in Chicago can hit 30W, Hispasat , if they have a real clear shot.
Lyngsat tracker can give you a visual representation, if you like. Click on a satellite and then click on the US map at Oxford , Ohio, and you'll tell whether or not you are over the horizon, and give you your azimuth and dish elevation setting, if you can hit it.
Atlantic Ocean - LyngSat SatTracker .
:)

Any application which gives you aiming table for all satellites, would work.
You just confine your interest to satellites with an elevation of 20° or more.
With work, you may get birds down in the 10° range , but that's getting tricky.

Also, if you are using Lyngsat, which has South American satellites, you should consult the beam pattern to see if where you are gets signal from a particular satellite.
The GeoSatFinder is geared for Canada/USA/Mexico.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)