Curious thing about Dishwire on my new 921 ...

BarryO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
I (finally) received a replacement for my dead 921, after a month's wait. But that's another story, covered on other threads.

What I want to report here is that I noticed that, on the new unit, the two Dishwire ports, and the labels underneath them, are covered up by an adhesive foil label on the back panel. I wonder why(?)

The IEEE 1394 connectors are still there, under the foil. They're still listed in the manual, "for future use". But I wonder why Dish covered them up, and does this signify anything ominous for future plans for Firewire support. Note the USB port, which also has no customer use at this point, is not so covered.

You should try it, maybe your 921 was activated and they just put tape over it. Connect up a JVC 40K and see if it shows up in the JVC OSD. :) Still would need the software upgrade to address the HD offload though.

BarryO said:
I (finally) received a replacement for my dead 921, after a month's wait. But that's another story, covered on other threads.

What I want to report here is that I noticed that, on the new unit, the two Dishwire ports, and the labels underneath them, are covered up by an adhesive foil label on the back panel. I wonder why(?)

The IEEE 1394 connectors are still there, under the foil. They're still listed in the manual, "for future use". But I wonder why Dish covered them up, and does this signify anything ominous for future plans for Firewire support. Note the USB port, which also has no customer use at this point, is not so covered.[/QUO

My replacement has tape also.....Something else I noticed is the the Dish wire is missing from the menu. Was'nt it shaded out in the menu before? I might be wrong.

fox

FWIW, I got a new Sony Desktop PC recently ( Brilliant PC by the way) anyways the Ethernet port was covered up with foil tape presumably so some duck egg didn't pop a land line in the wrong port.

It's still there- Under menu / preferences and grayed out selection as "DVHS setup"

But if you are really worried over it, why not send your 921 back and ask them to send you one without the tape over the Dishwire ports? :)

Don Landis said:
It's still there- Under menu / preferences and grayed out selection as "DVHS setup"

But if you are really worried over it, why not send your 921 back and ask them to send you one without the tape over the Dishwire ports? :)

Better yet, just send the taped up one to me. :D

I don't think any of this is funny. The same thing happened to a port on the back of the 721, a port that no longer exists on new models. It simply went away.

This situation is deadly serious for me and I am ready to drop DISH as a service if I don't get some logical, official answers from them.

Matt_Stevens said:
I don't think any of this is funny. The same thing happened to a port on the back of the 721, a port that no longer exists on new models. It simply went away.
<skip>

Matt,
Do you have a pictures for compare which one is disappear ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)