Current Customer Offer - 522 or 508 (Newbie Help)

ju421019

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hi, I just called Dish to inquire what are their prices for DVR upgrade. I do not have one right now.

I know the 508 does not have a DVR fee, and from their website it seems like it's for $149.

Now, over the phone the rep told me the 522 is $100, I can't remember he said for one receiver or two. But he told me the fee of $5 will be for both receivers not one.

Don't know how valid his offer was but wanted to see if someone was offerred the same.

Now, which offer do I go to?

Another quick question, at my home we have the superdish, and each room has one coaxial. It's going to be very difficult to run another coaxial to each room with the 522, is it possible for them to do something to split that one coaxial in to two for it to work on the 522.

Thanks.

Yes and no. You can split it. But you will need a DP plus device at the dish. A DPP44 or a 2nd dish with a DPP twin. The 522 upgrade is an installed price. You may be able to make the installer eat the switch if there is no way to run the second cable.

I wouldn't furnish the switch as dish does not reimburse me for it.

ju421019 said:
Hi, I just called Dish to inquire what are their prices for DVR upgrade. I do not have one right now.

I know the 508 does not have a DVR fee, and from their website it seems like it's for $149.

Now, over the phone the rep told me the 522 is $100, I can't remember he said for one receiver or two. But he told me the fee of $5 will be for both receivers not one.

Don't know how valid his offer was but wanted to see if someone was offerred the same.

Now, which offer do I go to?

Another quick question, at my home we have the superdish, and each room has one coaxial. It's going to be very difficult to run another coaxial to each room with the 522, is it possible for them to do something to split that one coaxial in to two for it to work on the 522.

Thanks.
You are only going to have to run one more cable to the room with the 522. I had mine installed last week. Yes, you pay only one reciever fee, but they add $5 for DVR service, so it's a wash.

I just called Dishnetwork again, and this is what they told me.

First of all I am leasing the equipment never owning it, she told me two offers.

One is to get one Dish 522, for both my receiver replacement, i did not know what she meant, but it seems like one receiver replace two. I still am not sure how that works, but it seems like two cables are run to that one receiver, and one loops back to the place where the 2nd receiver was. Am I right?

In this case, she told me $100 for the 522, and will give me a $50 total credit, if I send the two receivers I have now back.

$5 DVR fee for this piece.

Second offer is one 510 Receiver for $50, with the same $25 credit for the receiver if I return it back. $5 DVR fee per receiver.

The third as I saw on their website to purchase the DVR 501 I think for $149.99.

Now, I am not sure which is the better offer. Any help, both the leasing equipment one seem like it's a one year contract but I never own the equipment, which does not seem great. Plus, am still confused as to how the installation works on the DVR 522, and where the second receiver use to be, does the cable just connect to the TV, and act independently.

In terms of cost this is how I see the breakdown:

Dish 522 : $100 (upfront cost) + $60 ($5 per month fee) - $50 (Receiver Tradein) = $110 Total Cost

* Installation might be hassle.

Dish 510: $100 (upfront cost for two receivers) + $120 ($5 per month fee, for 2 receivers) - $50 (Receiver Tradein) = $170 Total Cost

Dish 501 (whichever one is for $149.99) : $300 (cost for two receivers, which I get to own) - $50 (Sell current receivers on eBay) = $250 Total Cost.

Need some help - seems like 522 is a better deal or to purchase the receiver directly and own it.

Thanks.

OK, let's clarify the 522. It is ONE box that serves as a tuner AND DVR for TWO Tvs. The second TV (the one away from the box) uses a UHF remote, no line of site needed. Dish charges just ONE receiver fee for this unit as opposed to two like you have been paying. FYI, your $50 credit for return is a better deal than I got last week. No such mention of a credit, we'll see if it kicks in.

The 522 requires an additional line from the dish (remember, it is two receivers living in one enclosure). Then a line is required from it to the second TV. Chances are the installer can pull back the line going to your second receiver and connect it to the 522.

IMHO, it makes no sense to buy especially with your offer. It is a ONE time charge, and as long as you are with DN, it's yours. You would not be able to touch a NEW 522 for much less than $200 (plus shipping), on eBay which is the ONLY place you can buy a 522. Retailers do not sell them. I would simply call, install and enjoy.

The 522 will replace 2 receivers so you lose the $5 receiver fee for the second receiver, it is a wash. You can either get the same programming with Picture in Picture (PIP) on main receiver & 2nd receiver or different programming on 2nd receiver, this is easy to do with buttons on front of the 522.

You can run a jumper from the 522 to the second TV, you can do this yourself, or if you've got a good installer offer him a couple of beers for it :). You do need dish to install for you, because you may have to change out the switch and run two cables from the switch to the box. This is part of the $149 fee.

The second TV is controlled by a UHF remote so you may have to point it in the general direction of the 522 instead of at the TV. My 2nd TV is in the basement and the remote works fine from 30 feet and 2 floors away.

I went from a 501 to a 522 and like it a lot, the onscreen guide is better and the hard drive is twice the size.

Just to clarify again, your total cost on the 522 will be $50.00, period, the end. (and that includes installation)

Thanks for the tips guys, it seems like the 522 is a better deal, though it did kind of bite when they said they would take back the receivers once dishnetwork is cancelled.

My main concern was installation, I did not want them to ruin the existing cables - etc. in my house, we have a two story house, and I paid a lot recently to get the rooms wired.

We did have 3 receivers, but I have actually turned one off, so hopefully they will leave the DP34 switch and work with it, will give a call and see how it goes.

It looks like the 522 is a good deal with a 1 yr contract. I hope my family is able to handle the DVR and its functions, and that the remote for the 2nd room can pick/change the channels without me having to point like 90 degrees sideways to where the other receiver would be.

By the way anyone have a diagram of the 522 installation like a sketch of what the installation will look like. Thanks.

Can't sketch for a house I can't see. Seriously, you are over thinking this. 2 lines from dish to receiver, 1 line from receiver to second TV.
You and the installer can figure out the course of least resistance.

Yes you're overthinking it. The only problem is that when mpeg-4 rolls in and it's got to be replaced, that'll probably be another chunk of change plus you'll lose your recordings since it's leased...Unless you rip them off or have a dvd recorder anyways...

DVR hard drive is NOT a long term storage medium, because all hard drives eventually fail.

MPEG 4 is awhile away for SD programming, dont sweat it

Hard Drive storage is far superior to Discs from a user perspective, I don't mind having a backup drive considering how great it is...

Well, I'm overthinking because I have a thick wall in 2 story house, where our main TV is, and in that wall, two holes have been drilled by unprofessional installation who ran two wires, so I have two coaxials in that room already. Now, with the 522, I really was not looking to get one more hole drilled to run one wire from the receiver outside to the dish / 2nd receiver.

I found a diagram giving me a idea of the installation.

The second concern being that I won't own the equipment after extending my contract for another year. I've never used DVR before and am tempted.

But then in regards to the 508, I can get one on eBay for like $165, but its refurbished, plus old technolgoy.

Thats why it was being a dilemma which way to go.

I've posted a diagram of what i think the installation would look like if I go the 522 route, i just want to make sure im thinking along the same lines, since i paid a lot of money to dish already, dont want the installation to screw up the wiring, i need access to other rooms in case i add more receivers.

pls tell me what you think.

Diagram.JPG

alternate suggestion

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I'd like to plug having two 508's.
No PVR fees.
Less complication running the units than the 522.
Similar storage capability.
Local remotes. (just change the remote address on one from 1 to 2)
I found mine on Ebay, but I bought from a major player.
If you consider the idea, check their web page daily, as things change, or call 'em up and find out when they get stock.

No DVR fee, but two receiver fees, so it's a wash. Plus he would have to watch a recorded program in the source/receiver room as opposed to the room of his choice.

I guess with the 522 the installation concerns me, the 1 yr contract, and not being able to own the equipment.

I wonder if I can cancel and sign up again under different household name.

I did that 1.5 year ago, wonder if it will still work?

Thanks.

Smiling and really being friendly as I say...somebody needs to come over and shake you silly!!!

Why would you not stay with Dish for another year. Even if you moved?

Why would you want to spend hundreds of dollars to own a receiver which will be obsolete in a few years when you can only spend $50 to lease...as long as you want?

And what is choking you up about the installation? The installers will do whatever it takes to get it in and operating.

Once again, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Relax, call and install. And enjoy the hell out of that receiver. I do mine.

And one more thing, your diagrams are way off, maybe that's causing your more consternation. They will add a new switch and send ONE line to the receiver (as they did me after instlling a Dish Pro on the dish...no charge). They will seperate the one line for the two inputs at the receiver. THEN, you need a line from the 522 to room 2. NO LINE NEEDS TO GO FROM THE DISH TO ROOM 2. The line that currently goes from Dish to room2 for your OLD reciever might be able to be fished to the 522.

Well, I'm happy, I just upgraded a 508. I ordered a 522, but when the installer got here the receiver was a 625....I just smiled and let em put it in. I guess they're basically the same thing with a few new options on the 625. Nice that they just changed LNB out and didn't have to run any new cable!! :yes I have the 2 old receivers to send back....so.... they are going to credit me $25 per receiver I send back? I wasn't clear on that when I ordered the new receiver. In typical Dish style the first time I called the girl(in India I believe) told me I could only upgrade to a 510, so I hung up and called back and got a guy who had no trouble setting up the upgrade right away. The only thing that scares me is how long the HD will last, but then again my first 508 is a few years old now and it still going strong. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts