Current Customer Offer - 522 or 508 (Newbie Help)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A couple of questions while I try to understand how to work the equipment.

1. Does the 2nd TV Output always stay on? This is for the TV where there is the UHF remote, I press power, it goes to a "Dish" Select Screen, sort of like standby, is that normal?

2. I guess Dual Mode is the best to be in, since we want independent viewing, does that mean, we can record two programs while watching TV on each indepdentend Television.

3. What is the best way to set the program to record, using the guide and then recording?

4. I heard there was a way back to skip back to the start of the episode when watching live TV, is that true? If so, how? Would I have to watch the episode from the beginning?

Thanks.

1. Yes

2. In dual mode, what you record is what you watch, unless it is pre-recorded. IOW, you can't record a live show and watch another live show. You can, however in Single mode, but tv2 will be showing it as well.

3. Just press enter from the guide of a show and you'll be walked through recording options.

4. Yes, IF the channel has been tuned since the beginning of the show an no more than two hours have elapsed. BUT, you have to rewind to it, and then can FF. The receiver is always recording, saving two hours of info. What you are watching is what it is recording. Example, a show has run for two hours, then another one starts. 10 minutes into the new show means 10 minutes have been erased from the beginning of the original two hour show. Or, say, in the last minutes of a three hour NFL game, you won't be able to go back to the beginning. Just two hours back from where you are now.

More details in the manual.

Ok, I'm real confused - dissapointed.

My Receiver needs to be in Dual Mode, since our family watches different programs.

So, I had set a timer to record desperate housewives on TV2, and I was watching different channel on TV2 , then suddenly the channel switched back to desperate housewives, a program i wanted recorded to watch later while I watch another.

But that didnt happen. How do I make that happen? FYI - the family was watching something else on TV2 in the meantime.

Please help - I read through Manual - but it suggest something different like recording both shows or something about Record Plus - not sure.

Thanks

Basic principle: Dual Mode...what you record on each set is what you watch. You can however watch a pre-recorded show.
Single Mode: You can record two shows and watch a third, pre-recored show. I admit the manual is a little fuzzy in that department. In summary, you cannot record two shows and watch a 3rd show live. Two at a time is the limit for LIVE.

I have the 508, and can attest to it's ease of use and reliability.

Yes, I know it's seen as old technology, but with my Pioneer 5050 and our local HDTV enabled stations I find myself normally able to get all the HDTV I want, and if there is a conflict between two OTA HDTV programs I want to see I just record the lesser of the two on the 508 to watch later in SD. :)

Eventually, I'm sure I'll have to go to Satellite HDTV and a newer HD PVR. But until mepg-4 is a viable reality I don't think Dish offers enough HD programming to tempt me away from reliable ol' 508 PVR and my current setup.

rich..

I have a few more questions, regarding extra receivers.

I have a third receiver, standard, is there a way for me to split the cable from the 522 to the 2nd room and join it to the 3rd receiver, will they act indepdently if I get another UHF remote?

Or do you know if Dish Network will allow me to get another 522 to connect the 3rd room and even add a 4th, which Im thinking about.

Thks

I have the 3rd receiver active right now, coming from a DP34, but what I meant was can I split the cable from the 2nd receiver and connect it to the 3rd room, so it uses the 522 to switch channels, instead of me paying $5 for the 3rd room receiver like I am right now.

Thanks.

ju421019 said:
I have the 3rd receiver active right now, coming from a DP34, but what I meant was can I split the cable from the 2nd receiver and connect it to the 3rd room, so it uses the 522 to switch channels, instead of me paying $5 for the 3rd room receiver like I am right now.

Thanks.
No, it will NOT work

Ok - then will DishNetwork allow me to get another 522 for another room? Thus having two 522 receivers, for four rooms?

Hey folks I know this thread is from last year but I want to ask based on just the setup of a DVR 522 Receiver - the fees would be $5 lease receiver and $5.98 DVR fee, correct?

Since, I had activated a third receiver two months ago, but don't see a fee for it, unless the $5 lease receiver is the fee for it. I am asking because I have the Dish Home Protection Plan and my third receiver is giving problems, its a DP 111, and it's stopped picking up 2 of the 3 satellites from the DP34 switch. This is a problem I've had in the past, but now has come back.

I was not sure if I was getting charged for the 3rd receiver, based on my statement, it looks like I was not.

But I am not sure if the $5 Lease Receive fee is for the Dish 522 I have during Dish n Up promo or the Dish 111 receiver.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts