Current Customer Offer - 522 or 508 (Newbie Help)

The same thing happened to me...getting a 625 instead of the 522. The installer said they were not stocking them anymore. D did not say anything to me about the $25 per return either, but the gent who started this thread said they did for him. We'll see.

Stupid question perhaps, but will the 522 work with "legacy" hardware (D500 w/2 legacy dual LNBs, 2 SW21s), assuming of couse all the required wiring is in place already (2 from the dish to the room the receiver is, one out from the receiver to a 2nd room)?

I could only find a couple of posts on that and they said something about having to do a switch test on the receiver with nothing connected first, then a 2nd time for it to "find" the legacy equipment.

catnap1972 -- I believe if you have one from Dish to Receiver 522, they can split it in to two at the receiver. And then just one more line from Receiver extended to second room.

I'm gonna call and get DVR setup today. I just hope the receiver on the 2nd room on the 2nd floor won't have a problem when changing channels, since the receiver will be direclty underneath on the ground floor.

My installer switched out the legacy hardware with the newer Dishpro, thus the one cable. No charge, BTW.

ju421019 said:
catnap1972 -- I believe if you have one from Dish to Receiver 522, they can split it in to two at the receiver. And then just one more line from Receiver extended to second room.

I'm gonna call and get DVR setup today. I just hope the receiver on the 2nd room on the 2nd floor won't have a problem when changing channels, since the receiver will be direclty underneath on the ground floor.
Directly underneath is about as good as you can get!

KAB said:
My installer switched out the legacy hardware with the newer Dishpro, thus the one cable. No charge, BTW.

Already have the cables in place so no need for them to swap out more equipment if not necessary (unless of course it's burning a hole in their pocket ;) )

catnap1972, all Dish receivers will work with legacy LNBs and switches. With your current setup you don't need to consider any other options until you add a 3rd tuner or 3rd satellite.

I've scheduled an install for this Friday for the 522 -- and even activated a 3rd receiver, so the installer does not take away my DP34 switch.

Now for the 2nd room where the 522 recevier won't be -- will the coaxial run straight in to the TV -- my TV is a bit old - I would have to check if that is even possible, otherwise i might be screwed. There is a cable running from the receiver to the TV -- my current receiver is Dish 111 in the 2nd room.

You might need to go through a VCR as I did. My room2 TV is old as well, and modulating to a air or cable channel did not work on it (about 15 yrs old). It does have and external input, so that's what the VCR is fed through. Otherwise, channel 3.

mmm... I will have to go home and see -- this is a Toshiba TV/VCR combo -- is old -- right now the satellite cable goes in receiver -- another cable goes from receiver to tv -- will go home and take a pic to see if it will work. I have a DVD player there too - but dont know how well that will work -- otherwise will need to rethink this more.

thks

You are not going to know until you try it. My guess is it will. You can always get a fairly inexpensive, up to date TV.

True but I won't replace my TV for DVR.

I already hate dishnetwork , but am stuck with them becz of the Intl. Channels.

I've had a tech come to my house about 7-8 times in one year, and have been without programming for a really long durations.

If he can't make it work that day, then I'm probably not going to sign the contract that he brings.

Did a Dish sub do your original wiring installation? Is it all RG6?
Something seem amiss to have to have a tech come out so many times in a year. I have NEVER had a problem or a tech until I upgraded.

It was Dish problem mostly - sometimes cable -- i paid $500 to the dish tech to wire it originally -- for 4 rooms - ripped me off big time -- since then had problems -- hopefully my tv will have whatever input is required for coaxial cable, im not even sure what it looks like, is it where it says antenna - etc. i guess i'll have to wait and find out when i go home.

the problem is most of my rooms were not prewired - i had to run new cable through -- its a 2 story house so its a bit difficult/tricky

Actually i think it could work becz i remember when i was in an apt, the time warner cable ran straight in to the TV -- so we use to watch cable with the regular tv remote -- so if thats the case -- then the dish coxial will work , right?

As long as you have a straight, non-spilt cable from the dish you should be just fine.

well in the back of the tV there is one slot that says something like UHF antenna to TV or soemthing like that , im guessing that might work. but the cable is coming straight from the dish right now in to a jack/port -- from which another cable goes from it to the receiver - at the moment.

They installed the 522 today, installation was not bad, it went as planned like i had in the diagram. They used a diplex to split one cable in to two.

Now, that have the 522, still learning how to operate/record shows, like setting a schedule.

One thing is my local channels - the guide is not updated, how can i update the guide?

Any other tips.

thanks.

It takes about 12 hours for the locals to fully update. After that, you'll have 9 days worth, all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)