Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
Since DirecTV has quit offering discounts (or at least in my case I haven't been able to get one from retention) I'm considering dropping my base package. I logged into my account and looked at the available packages, but all of the lower ones seem to be missing one thing or another that one of us thinks is important.

vLC6JL5.png

Are there any unadvertised packages I'm missing? I really hate to lose kids channels like Boomerang, and my wife likes "Chiller" which is hard to find in any lower package.

Since DirecTV has quit offering discounts (or at least in my case I haven't been able to get one from retention) I'm considering dropping my base package. I logged into my account and looked at the available packages, but all of the lower ones seem to be missing one thing or another that one of us thinks is important.

vLC6JL5.png

Are there any unadvertised packages I'm missing? I really hate to lose kids channels like Boomerang, and my wife likes "Chiller" which is hard to find in any lower package.

It's always hard no matter who the provider is if you want specific channels. Chiller is traditionally in the higher packages, was with DISH, is with Charter. (Where I am) One strategy is to find the lowest package that has most of the channels, and see if you can catch specific shows online from the ones missing. Something like Hulu where you can subscribe, watch the shows then drop the subscription. Unless you want Sunday Ticket it may be worth looking around what others would be as a new customer.

Honestly I would switch to Dish, but my wife refuses to learn new channel #'s. The 16 tuners on the Hopper would be great though as many shows as she records. I think I might have answered my own question I found an old DBSTalk post that mentions a "Preferred Xtra" package. Does anyone know if this is still available?

You gain:
Boomerang
Chiller
Cloo
El Rey
Esquire
Sprout
Sonic Tap: Holiday & Happenings
Sonic Tap: Italian Bistro Blend
Sonic Tap: Tranquility

You lose the sports channels and RSN fee (or did when that was posted)

Honestly I would switch to Dish, but my wife refuses to learn new channel #'s. The 16 tuners on the Hopper would be great though as many shows as she records. I think I might have answered my own question I found an old DBSTalk post that mentions a "Preferred Xtra" package. Does anyone know if this is still available?

I can confirm that it is - in trying to get a discount on packages via chat, that one was offered to me (I decided to just go back up to the Ultimate again).

vLC6JL5.png

You're missing Family/TotalChoice which is $29.99 per month. It does have Boomerang but does not have Chiller. It has about 50 or so channels and you can see the lineup at the below link.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/base_packages.jsp?lpos=Header:3&_requestid=2277509

Reactions: pattykay
Curiously, I cannot see that link even after I log in.
I guess it's because you have to be logged in to see it. Which is stupid.

I'm pretty sure there's a listing of what channels come with what packages somewhere on this site though I don't know where it is myself.

I guess it's because you have to be logged in to see it. Which is stupid.

I'm pretty sure there's a listing of what channels come with what packages somewhere on this site though I don't know where it is myself.
I logged in and those packages still don't show up.

I think Family may be available, but needs to be offered ...
I had Total Choice for a long time and was eventually pushed into a very simular package ....
That is no longer offered but the one they put me in was very close.

Not sure if current new pricing structure been posted, I looked it up, not easy to find so here it is, For those signing up new to DTV this includes 4 rooms even if you need less. Most extra fees are included like HD and dvr's.
Not included are Tax and Regional sports fee. Here are current prices after the 12 month discount.
I asked if there was a discount for say 1 or 2 TV's and answer was NO. For those with only 1 or 2 receivers you are taking a big hit vs old price structure. I would make sure every install had 4 receivers whether they are used or not because you are getting charged.
With Locals price below: subtract $3 if you don't receive locals and need distant locals they charge $2.50 per channel. Real fair...ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Select-$90
Entertainment-$101
Choice-$115
XTRA-$124
Ultimate-$134
Premier-$187

Not sure if current new pricing structure been posted, I looked it up, not easy to find so here it is, For those signing up new to DTV this includes 4 rooms even if you need less. Most extra fees are included like HD and dvr's.
Not included are Tax and Regional sports fee. Here are current prices after the 12 month discount.
I asked if there was a discount for say 1 or 2 TV's and answer was NO. For those with only 1 or 2 receivers you are taking a big hit vs old price structure. I would make sure every install had 4 receivers whether they are used or not because you are getting charged.
With Locals price below: subtract $3 if you don't receive locals and need distant locals they charge $2.50 per channel. Real fair...ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Select-$90
Entertainment-$101
Choice-$115
XTRA-$124
Ultimate-$134
Premier-$187
Plus RSN fees?
How much for a 6 room system?

I want Ultimate pack, HBO, Showtime.
Whole home in 4 rooms
2 rooms Solo HD receivers.

I think Family may be available, but needs to be offered ...
I had Total Choice for a long time and was eventually pushed into a very simular package ....
That is no longer offered but the one they put me in was very close.
Yes, they just don't advertise it much, or sometimes not at all, cable companies do the same thing; offer a very low priced packaged but make its availability difficult to find on their websites because they'd rather you spend more on a larger, more expensive package.

Select-$90
Entertainment-$101
Choice-$115
XTRA-$124
Ultimate-$134
Premier-$187
So you're saying these are the base rates, even if you only need one or two boxes/TV connections?

So you're saying these are the base rates, even if you only need one or two boxes/TV connections?
That's what they told me today online chat for new installs. I said but I only have 2 TV's. I was told monthly cost was the same . This is new to me too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts