Current DTV subscriber debating about Dish

Even better I have XM in both my cars, was excited to be able to do it at my house without having to pay for it. Even better I can do it at work via dish anywhere.

Even better I have XM in both my cars, was excited to be able to do it at my house without having to pay for it. Even better I can do it at work via dish anywhere.

They don't make it easy, or obvious. Having to dial in a 5 digit code isn't very user-friendly. If they're going to offer them on the app, then for God's sake put them in the guide! From what I can tell, there isn't an up-to-date list of the Hopper numbers for all those SXM channels online. I found one from 2016.

Reactions: pattykay
They tell us that the $10 Hopper / $5 Joey fees are locked for 2 years as well. :)

Well I do believe it coming from you! :) They don't say that online it still says Package but DISH doesn't always have the up to date info online.. Of course either way I don't think the OP is getting anything or at least much more than a new subscriber and I do believe he is paying whatever the fees are.

Reactions: JSheridan
Well I do believe it coming from you! :) They don't say that online it still says Package but DISH doesn't always have the up to date info online.. Of course either way I don't think the OP is getting anything or at least much more than a new subscriber and I do believe he is paying whatever the fees are.

At least for the equipment I should not be. I better get that refunded to my credit card. As for the monthly fees, I should be paying the same amount as everyone else minus the $10 credit for the 1st 12 months.

Typically, it's the total bill. My total bill is 127 and that's my bill every month

Typically as in fees are locked? No before now not typically. In the past after the fees being lower for a specified period if fees went up your bill went up it was only the package that was locked. If fees are now good for the 24 months at a set price that is longer than they were before, usually 6 months or a year.

At least for the equipment I should not be. I better get that refunded to my credit card. As for the monthly fees, I should be paying the same amount as everyone else minus the $10 credit for the 1st 12 months.

You should pay whatever the locked in price is for the two years at the very least for the package price. If it goes up you are saving more. (Exactly my situation with the current customer deal) Then yes, you should be paying $10 less than that price for 12 months if they indeed gave you that. It sounds like this time the $5 joey fee and $10 Hopper fee may be locked in for the full 4 months, if so that's a good deal. In the past they were for a specified period not necessarily for the two years.

You should pay whatever the locked in price is for the two years at the very least for the package price. If it goes up you are saving more. (Exactly my situation with the current customer deal) Then yes, you should be paying $10 less than that price for 12 months if they indeed gave you that. It sounds like this time the $5 joey fee and $10 Hopper fee may be locked in, if so that's a good deal. In the past they were for a specified period not necessarily for the two years.

Yeah it does look like those are locked in for the two years. It gives a $2 credit for each Joey for the 24 months.

Reactions: pattykay and Tampa8
Yeah it does look like those are locked in for the two years. It gives a $2 credit for each Joey for the 24 months.

That then is overall a good deal. I assume the $10 Hopper also shows a $5 credit for 24 months? That one in particular was always a year for new subscribers.

Typically as in fees are locked? No before now not typically. In the past after the fees being lower for a specified period if fees went up your bill went up it was only the package that was locked. If fees are now good for the 24 months at a set price that is longer than they were before, usually 6 months or a year.

It's 2 years and other than any deals on Equipment, it should be the package price that goes up. Equipment should be a standard lease fee no matter what, unless, like I said, they offered a timed promotion on that.

It's 2 years and other than any deals on Equipment, it should be the package price that goes up. Equipment should be a standard lease fee no matter what, unless, like I said, they offered a timed promotion on that.

I'm not following that because with the recent deals (like my current customer deal and the current new customer deals) it is the package price that does not go up. When package prices increased I went from a $10 savings per month to a $15 savings on the package. (Then the $5 autopay on top of that)
There was a time in the past the deal was a $10 savings, not a guaranteed price. So you saved $10 off whatever the current price was, if the package went up you paid that increase during the two years.

I'm not following that because with the recent deals (like my current customer deal and the current new customer deals) it is the package price that does not go up. When package prices increased I went from a $10 savings per month to a $15 savings on the package. (Then the $5 autopay on top of that)
There was a time in the past the deal was a $10 savings, not a guaranteed price. So you saved $10 off whatever the current price was, if the package went up you paid that increase during the two years.

I know when I first got Dish, just a Hooper, the deal was 30.00/mo off the first year. 1 room Hopper/Sling was @12/mo. DVR was @10/mo and HD for free for Autopay. At the end of the year, when the price went up, the Hopper was still $12 and the DVR was still 1$0 so it was the package that went up. That doesn't sound right?

I know when I first got Dish, just a Hooper, the deal was 30.00/mo off the first year. 1 room Hopper/Sling was @12/mo. DVR was @10/mo and HD for free for Autopay. At the end of the year, when the price went up, the Hopper was still $12 and the DVR was still 1$0 so it was the package that went up. That doesn't sound right?

The problem is the comparison. You had a one year deal with a discount off the package price for that one year. If the package price went up during that year you would have paid that increase, still paying $30 less that people without the discount. And of course after the one year you pay the regular package price.
This is the much more common two year deal with a guaranteed price for the Package for the full two years, not a discount off the package. As a current customer I have the current customer deal that is the same as his for the package. Two years of Top 200 @ $59.99. When I got the deal Top 200 was $69.99. I did not get a $10 discount I got a set price of $59.99. Right after getting the deal the package prices did increase and Top 200 went from $69.99 to $74.99. At that point I stayed at $59.99 so have been saving $15 a month. (Plus another $5 discount for autopay)

So I am saving at least $20 a month over two years, and could be more than that a month in the final year if DISH has another increase.
(Just to add to that - I also am saving another $10 a month because I had Top 250 but DISH has moved so many channels to Top 200 most recently NatGeoW that I am getting just about every channel I watched in Top 250. So for me my actual savings is $30 a month losing virtually no channels I watch)

Reactions: HipKat
The problem is the comparison. You had a one year deal with a discount off the package price for that one year. If the package price went up during that year you would have paid that increase, still paying $30 less that people without the discount.
This is the much more common two year deal with a guaranteed price for the Package for the full two years, not a discount off the package. As a current customer I have the current customer deal that is the same as his for the package. Two years of Top 200 @ $59.99. When I got the deal Top 200 was $69.99. I did not get a $10 discount I got a set price of $59.99. Right after getting the deal the package prices did increase and Top 200 went from $69.99 to $74.99. At that point I stayed at $59.99 so have been saving $15 a month. (Plus another $5 discount for autopay)

So I am saving at least $20 a month over two years, and could be more than that a month in the final year if DISH has another increase.
(Just to add to that - I also am saving another $10 a month because I had Top 250 but DISH has moved so many channels to Top 200 most recently NatGeoW that I am getting just about every channel I watched in Top 250. So for me my actual savings is $30 a month losing virtually no channels I watch)

Ahhhh, I get what you're saying. I should probably go through the newer channel cards and see if I still need the top 250

Reactions: Tampa8
Ahhhh, I get what you're saying. I should probably go through the newer channel cards and see if I still need the top 250

Yes, you very well may find Top 200 will give you what you want. Top 200 does not have the Theme Encore channels except one, does have SiriusXM and CD music but not the DISH music. There are a couple of other channels that Top 200 does not have but not many.

Reactions: HipKat
Yes, you very well may find Top 200 will give you what you want. Top 200 does not have the Theme Encore channels except one, does have SiriusXM and CD music but not the DISH music. There are a couple of other channels that Top 200 does not have but not many.

I rarely watch the Encore channels because they're all in standard Def mostly and I don't listen to dish music so this could be a good option

Reactions: Tampa8
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did call back late last night and accepted the deal. I was really happy since the first note did as he said he would and put all the notes on my account. They are refunding my credit card for the equipment (Joey's) that I had to pay the fees on. So that was a $190 savings (with tax). Issuing the $50 one time statement credit. Then giving an statement credit of $10 per month for 12 months.

Below is how the order is broken down:
Monthly Services
America's Top 200 (reg $74.99) $64.99
eAutoPay Savings $5x24mo -$5.00

Equipment
Hopper DVR Service $15.00
Hopper Savings $5x24 Mo -$5.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Wireless Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Savings $2x24mo -$2.00

Add-Ons
DISH Protect Silver Video $8.99
DISH Protect $8.99x6mo -$8.99
Dish Movie Pack $0.00
HBO, Sho, Max, Starz $0.00
Multi-Sport through 1/2/18 $0.00

Monthly Total
Monthly Services $59.99
Equipment $30.00
Add-Ons $0.00
FCC Regulatory Fee $0.03
Taxes & Surcharges $4.47

Order Total
Monthly Total $94.49

As a new customer who used a promotional offer, you will receive an Amazon Echo Dot during your installation at no additional cost.

Prior to your appointment, please make sure you have an active Amazon account and have downloaded the Amazon Alexa app to your smartphone.

Equipment
  • 3 4K Joey
  • 1 Hopper 3
  • 1 Rcvr Wireless Joey
Your new entertainment system delivers:
  • Video service on 5 TVs
  • HD content on 5 TVs