Current State of 921?

jcrash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Tulsa
Ok, I see there is a new price. Is everything else still the same?

Last time I checked in (many months ago), the 921 basically was unreliable for OTA HD recordings.

Is it still that way? I want 99% or better reliability.

Currently, my 721 is great, and we switch over to the HD receiver when needed and watch live TV. We'd love to have an HD DVR, and my current plan is to switch to DirecTV in the spring.

Can the 921 reliably record OTA?

The short answer is yes.

There are some people who are still having problems, but it is with specific stations around the country.

I have no problems with any station here.

There is a "super" update being released in the next week or two which is supposed to clear up almost all of the problems.

Mark, who is a beta tester, is very excited about this next update.

Mark has been excited about all the updates though. :)

For a Dual Tuner Satellite Receiver its good, for a HD OTA DVR its still got problems.

The unit is now a year old and many of the promised features are still not available, features, such as OTA Guide Data, Dish Interactive, Internet access (ok they never advertised Internet access but in my menu there is a greyed out menu choice for it)

You get the picture.

A year later and not much is fixed nor have there been any real improvements worth noting. My 921 runs the same now as when I got it a year ago.

Please understand my feelings on the 921 are my own, my comments are exactly how I feel about the 921, my honest feelings, I am not mad or happy with Dish so don't think I am trying to put them down at all, again I am just giving my honest opinion of the product.

I owe it to you guys to give you honest reviews, If I can't do that and help you guys make educated decissions to what to buy and what not to buy then I would be doing everyone a grave disservice.

Hey Scott, I think you could also add name based recording to that list! They promised it for the 921 even if I remember correctly. It was a while ago, so, sometimes memories fade.

SimpleSimon said:
Scott: I hope you realize that my last post was shorthand for agreeing with you.
No I understood that, I just re read when I wrote and wanted to make sure I explained why I wrote what I wrote. :)

I think SimpleSimon put it best when he once wrote that those Eldon guys couldn't program themselves out of a paper bag! :)

Let's see if we can do it here.....

extern boolean ifSunDontShine(void);
extern void moveForwardTwoFeet(void);
extern void rotateAnyDirectionOneDegree(void);

main (int argc, int argv) {

do {

rotateAnyDirectionOneDegree();

} while (ifSunDontShine());

moveForwardTwoFeet();

return;

}

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)