'Custom' Hopper3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Shinsen1378

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
San Antonio
So I upgraded from the original Hopper to the Hopper3. My wife is happy that the great tuner battle is over, but she HATED the red stripe on the front of the unit. I didn't care much for it either but I could live with it.

She brought home this from the art section of Hobby Lobby...

And now the Hopper3 looks like this

Everyone is happy now...

Attachments

• 20160826_171344.jpg
    20160826_171344.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 581
  • 20160814_114317.jpg
    20160814_114317.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 463
Oh, lord! Line Tape. Haven't thought about that stuff in decades. Nice. I like simple, sophisticated & clean. Too bad manufacturers don't see that. I loved it when the red and green LEDs on the HwS were small and the face clean.

Nice fix.

I personally strongly desire the red recording in progress light. So the H3 is probably dead to me. I suspect all subsequent Hoppers will also lack this, so I may be the troglodyte that grips his 2 HWS until the very bitter end.

Reactions: D. Manley
When I was in high school, I would customize my stuff with wood-grain contact paper. I had a Texas Instruments SR-50 scientific calculator like this
sr-50.jpg

that I woodgrained, using an X-acto knife to make the key openings. Since the SR-50 had no Gold key I didn't need to worry about key functions being hidden. That's a phase I've grown out of...

That said, I actually like the red racing stripe on the Hopper 3 and the 4k Joey. With problems with DVRs overheating, I guess flames were out of the question...

I personally strongly desire the red recording in progress light. So the H3 is probably dead to me.
I'd guess the intention of the indicator light was so one could see if a recording was going on and that all of the tuners might be used up otherwise, so watching live TV or recording something may have to wait. That's a non-issue with the Hopper 3.

Reactions: Foxbat
I'd guess the intention of the indicator light was so one could see if a recording was going on and that all of the tuners might be used up otherwise, so watching live TV or recording something may have to wait. That's a non-issue with the Hopper 3.

But turning on the TV to make sure it's actually recording is a new issue. ;)

Reactions: navychop
True that. Also, if you want to quickly see what might be recording it is as simple as pressing the red button on the 40 remote or Options and Select buttons on the 50 or 52 remote. Now if your H3 is in standby, you would have to turn it on to do that. ;)

With 16 tuners the recording light is irrelevant imo.
No, the recording light is a needed item so that you know if it is actually recording. When I first got my H3 it never recorded when it was supposed to and there was no way to verify with out multiple button presses. If there would have been a light, seeing the light not lit would have been all the verification I would have needed to know a reboot was needed. Now of course my H3 has recorded perfectly since I deleted my 2 autotune timers. It still would be nice to just look at the entertainment center and see a red light if recording, that's my opinion and I am sticking to it!! :D

Have you ever noticed that everything electronic that you buy now days has a built in clock. I had to buy the cheapest basic coffee pot that I could find to avoid the clock. I hate having a clock in any room, let alone the kitchen, where the oven has one, the microwave has one, the coffee pot and any other appliance usually has one. You should never be late for an appointment.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Many coffee pots have selectable timers to turn it on when you'd like to have a cup of coffee waiting for you, like when you wake up. You need a clock for that to work....

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)