Customers sue Comcast for turning routers into public Wi-fi hotspots

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is nothing new, Comcast has been doing this for awhile. They keep sending me letters to upgrade to their latest and greatest modem which I will not do since I own mine. I assume they bug all their customers to upgrade so they can leech more hotspots.

Bottom line is that this hotspot thing is not a secret and it is disclosed. You can turn it off easy enough. People are just too dumb to read, except for the attorneys who filed and will profit from the class action.

I don't believe the customer can turn off the wi-fi but it is easy to tell the installer to do so. I did. When I scan for networks around my house I do see three instances of xfinitiywifi unsecured so my neighbors have not done so. Comcast should probably be more proactive about asking the customer if they want it turned off.

I own my own modem, but this still happens. The new X1 dvr box comes with modem/router/wifi built in. It's separate from my normal internet connection. I noticed shortly after they installed it that we had a very strong xfinitywifi signal in our house now. Since the homes are close together, there are a few other xfinitywifi hot spots. I would prefer to turn it off, but I can't see how you can do it. Just adds to all the other wifi access points in the area to help cause a lot of wifi interference.

Took me 2 seconds to find it and I don't have their modem.

How do I disable/enable the Home Hotspot feature?
We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY WiFi, but you will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your Wireless Gateway. Visit My Account at https://customer.comcast.com/, click on “Users & Preferences” and then select “Manage XFINITY WiFi” or call 1-800-XFINITY

I think this is the waive of the future. If all providers had this then we would have more access to internet and signals in more areas for those that do not get cell service.

Hmm, doesn't work. I don't have an Xfinity Wireless Gateway. It comes by default with the Xfinity X1 DVR. Although, it is possible that it's my neighbors. It's a bit strong. Maybe the X1 doesn't have it built in.

Looks like the 'Wave' of the future will be built with lots of interfering Comcast Hotspots. I can see three from my house.

In the future they can change the program to where the power is turned down or off at neighboring hot spots if they are found in range to prevent interference or to help drop the noise floor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)