Cutting the cord unless overwhelmed by retention....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wow! Thanks for pointing to that! That family package makes things very interesting. If we could get that package and they minimize the receiver fees (maybe just keeping the DVR) it would be a tough call.

This also assumes they make right that receiver charge for the past 18months.

UPDATE

Well I called DTV and I am disappointed. They did correct the extra receiver fee ($108 credit) that my account has been billed.

However, the "best' they would do is move me to the family package @ $24.99+all the receiver fees and the HD fee, for a total of $53 a month. They said the HD fee can not be waived on the family package. If they could get in the $40 range we would definitely stay. It's a shame they won't come down a bit or offer off-setting credits as they will surely make more money by keeping me (since I get the Extra Innings package @ $200 /yr) then by charging the HD fee.

Should I try calling again some other time or just order the cable?

Ask the wife to bend; its obviously not worth (or smart financially) to be paying $25+ each month to have "background noise" on as you say. That would be the expected and best move (or move to basic cable). You are getting exactly what you pay for and vice versa (paying for what you get).

Like Neutron suggested, why not run a cable from one of the receivers to the "background noise" tv. It will only display the same programming as the first one, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here. You would need to connect an old vcr to the composite outputs of the receiver to be able to use rg6 cable.

Like Neutron suggested, why not run a cable from one of the receivers to the "background noise" tv. It will only display the same programming as the first one, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here. You would need to connect an old vcr to the composite outputs of the receiver to be able to use rg6 cable.

Each TV is on a different floor of the house. I don't know of any easy way to do this without leaving cables visible.

Is there a way to run a seperate RG-6 from your multiswitch to one of the locations, and just connect it to a coupler to the run that goes to the background noise TV?

Is there a way to run a seperate RG-6 from your multiswitch to one of the locations, and just connect it to a coupler to the run that goes to the background noise TV?

I'm not certain what the multiswitch is, I imagine it is where all the lines feed from the dish on the exterior of the house. If so there still is no easy way to do that.

I am hoping I can get them down a bit more on that package so I will probably try calling tomorrow during the day. If DTV can get to $40-$45 for that we will stay. To do a DVR via cable would be another $11. So I can justify that to my wife as "Look cable with DVR will be $37/mo."

DTV alone will instantly lose $200 (I know it's not all pure profit) from us leaving and thus losing an Extra Innings subscriber. I would think that could be used that as a bit of leverage.

I don't know what you will end up with, but the only way I've ever seen a cable system installed recently with a monthly rate like you indicated is for the very basest of basic cable. I think I'd go online before I'd pay anything for what cable calls 'basic' around here. Just my $.02 worth... :)

I'm not certain what the multiswitch is, I imagine it is where all the lines feed from the dish on the exterior of the house. If so there still is no easy way to do that.

I am hoping I can get them down a bit more on that package so I will probably try calling tomorrow during the day. If DTV can get to $40-$45 for that we will stay. To do a DVR via cable would be another $11. So I can justify that to my wife as "Look cable with DVR will be $37/mo."

DTV alone will instantly lose $200 (I know it's not all pure profit) from us leaving and thus losing an Extra Innings subscriber. I would think that could be used that as a bit of leverage.

Not slamming or anything but its obvious the wife wants what she wants regardless. Having extra sports packs and such don't give you leverage or anything like that. Cut your losses and do what the wife wants you to do and move on to cable. Save yourself the headaches and pull the trigger.

I don't know what you will end up with, but the only way I've ever seen a cable system installed recently with a monthly rate like you indicated is for the very basest of basic cable. I think I'd go online before I'd pay anything for what cable calls 'basic' around here. Just my $.02 worth... :)

We'd go completely without cable or satellite if we could get locals OTA. But the mountains here prevent any signal.

Our choice right now is basic cable (locals in HD via QAM tuner, and TBS) @$23.95 or the DTV Family Pack @24.99 +HD +DVR +2 additional receivers = $53.

Not slamming or anything but its obvious the wife wants what she wants regardless. Having extra sports packs and such don't give you leverage or anything like that. Cut your losses and do what the wife wants you to do and move on to cable. Save yourself the headaches and pull the trigger.

My wife is 8mos pregnant, she wants to cut our expenses. But she also wants some TV (locals +HGTV). HGTV via Roku doesn't seem to be that great otherwise it would be an easier decision. I know I have wasted your time, with this over the last few days, so I wanted to thank you, but understand I am trying work a solution.

I know I have wasted your time, with this over the last few days, so I wanted to thank you, but understand I am trying work a solution.

You haven't wasted anyone's time! We are here trying to help because that's what we do here! :)

Our choice right now is basic cable (locals in HD via QAM tuner, and TBS) @$23.95 or the DTV Family Pack @24.99 +HD +DVR +2 additional receivers = $53.

Did you ask D* about the Select Choice pkg I mentioned to you; perhaps you could get that pkg & they would still waive the HD charge... ;)

TJ, your at the $ 24 package, thats all the lower the packages are, most packages are 50-60 range.
Your losing your money over the addl recvrs mainly, keep what you use, run a coax to the room you want noise in and be done with it.

I doubt you'll find any packages cheaper ... loose the accesories and you'll be where you want to be.

Never think you are wasting anyone's time around here. We are always here to help out!! We want to help you find the best solution for your family.

Well realistically, you aren't going to get THAT cheap w/D*; frankly, they do tend to cater to the "higher end" TV viewers - & certainly NOT folks that ONLY want local channels.

However, you actually DO have a 3rd choice - have you given any thought about switching to DISH???

Their basic pkg (NOT family pkg) AT120 is only $30/month for the 1st year, & DOES include your local channels & FREE HD. This pkg includes several popular basics like HGTV, ESPN/ESPN2, CNN, etc. It does NOT include any of your RSN(s), but you can add those on for an extra $5/month. (that pkg is called AT120+) The DVR fee is $6, for all DVR's on your account.

They will also upgrade your first receiver to a dual-room HD DVR for FREE. (DO understand the 2nd room does NOT do HD, but is fine for a regular SD set) Additional (non-DVR) receivers are $7/month, which are a $1 more than D*. (up to 4 additional receivers are installed FREE, & 2 of those can be HD) So, while you would only have to pay for 1 additional receiver f/$7, you would actually get 3 TV's served w/separate programming.

So, your monthly cost for this for the 1st year would only be $43: AT120 pkg@$30.00, $6.00 DVR + (1) added receiver@$7.
And even after the first year is up, the base pkg would only go up $15, so it would then go to $58 - BUT you then could downgrade to DISH America, which is $35 everyday & still probably has the channels you are looking for the most.
You need to check out their website for pkg details, as well as seeing if your locals are in HD. (since you did NOT tell us where you live/ie: your TV market)

You would definitely get more/better prog than "basic" cable - & still probably better than D*'s Family pak.

Also, there is another pkg that DISH offers, called the Welcome Pak. (it's my understanding that they stopped offering it to new subs, but started again) It's $15/month & includes your locals, as well as these channels:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/supportsection/channels/packagewelcomepack.aspx

The last I read here, while you could NOT sign up for it as a new sub, you CAN move over to it AFTER you have been a sub. (I do believe that even subs that lease their equipment CAN now get this) So, run out your initial promo for 1 year, then switch over to the Welcome Pak after the price goes up.

So you DO have some other options now - good luck.

Last edited:
Also, there is another pkg that DISH offers, called the Welcome Pak. (it's my understanding that they stopped offering it to new subs, but started again) It's $15/month & includes your locals, as well as these channels:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/supportse...lcomepack.aspx

The last I read here, while you could NOT sign up for it as a new sub, you CAN move over to it AFTER you have been a sub. (I do believe that even subs that lease their equipment CAN now get this) So, run out your initial promo for 1 year, then switch over to the Welcome Pak after the price goes up.
if you own the equipment and PM a DIRT (DIsh internet response team) member they can "start" you on Welcome Pack. Actually they have to start you on family pack then the next day they can switch it to welcome pack.

My monthly bill is $43.99 per month plus taxes.

Select Classic 39.99
HD Access 10.00
DVR Service 7.00
3 Receivers 18.00

My credits are:

HD (Autopay) (10.00)
Bundled w/ verizon (10.00)
$5 for 24 months (5.00)
Primary Receiver (6.00)

Getting it into the $40's per month is doable without having to go to the Family Package is possible. My wife can't go without HGTV either!

if you own the equipment and PM a DIRT (DIsh internet response team) member they can "start" you on Welcome Pack. Actually they have to start you on family pack then the next day they can switch it to welcome pack.

Ok, so a temporary solution has been reached with DTV. I got them to do the family pack with all the receivers (HDDVR, Tivo, regular receiver) HD, package, free showtime for 6 months. With the $10 HD fee waived and a $5 monthly credit for a year, grand total: $43 /mo. They offered me the select package for the same price, but Nick Jr. and Nat Geo aren't on that package so I went with the Family deal. So we are saving $46/month.

With 7 months remaining on the contract ($140 cancellation fee) it would be more to do the basic cable package + canceling at this point in time (not to mention buying two more Rokus).

When the contract is set-to-expire I will probably see if I can get them down lower (maybe a discount on the Extra Innings package since so many people are getting the NFL package free) or make the switch then.

Thanks for everyone's help and for pointing me to that family package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)