CW in HD for Champlain Valley

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
WPTZ 5-2 The Valley CW is now HD. I am not sure when this happened, but it's nice to have the "big 6" in HD in Vermont and NE NY with an antenna finally. Judging from the sharp contrast in PQ between commercials and news, the local news for WPTZ across the board is still SD...

Reactions: Mr Tony
My TV says otherwise.

Attachments

• 1461467612149.jpg
    1461467612149.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: Tank and Mr Tony
WPTZ 5-2 The Valley CW is now HD. I am not sure when this happened, but it's nice to have the "big 6" in HD in Vermont and NE NY with an antenna finally. Judging from the sharp contrast in PQ between commercials and news, the local news for WPTZ across the board is still SD...
very cool!
Glad to hear it!

Reactions: Tank and ejb1980
I see Trip has updated it to reflect the 720p on the CW now :)

That's kinda how this works, right . The same thing happened when VT PBS plus went HD.

I haven't watched WPTZ much but compared hockey on WPTZ OTA, WNNE on Directv, and WHDH on Directv earlier. WPTZ has looked overly bright and washed out since they went HD but now it's choppy where WNNE and WHDH were clear. I dare say 5-2's picture is better overall than 5-1's and really not too blocky during motion. I've seen WUVC and WTNC in NC run 2 HD and 2 SD and the picture was better than WPTZ 5-1. And as you can see from the pic, no programming information.

As for the Nexstar... I know, right? WVNY shouldn't be allowed to broadcast sports. They have relatively poor PQ overall OTA compared to WCVB and WMUR on satellite. WFFF is the same. Do all Nexstar stations call themselves "local xx". Terrible. "Local 22 and Local 44 News" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. They are ABC 22 and Fox 44 to 99% of people that I have heard refer to them. And as a bonus 22 and 44 both used to have -2 relays in SD so a re-added subchannel would be in the AM21.

With the PQ so bad, let's get some subchannels if for nothing more than to justify the PQ. And not use said subchannels for sports (unless it's ASN) and let's do use those subchannels for their ridiculous night long elections coverage for the NH VT and NY election primary season. And just on one subchannel not all of them like it is now on WVNY and WFFF. I truly feel sorry for people who have only the Vermont locals. WCAX used to be such a quality newscast. Now it's college kids and people who look terrified to be on camera. WPTZ is the same except one anchor.

I guess sometimes it's nice living in a market where 3 stations are O&O (CBS, FOX, MY) and 2 are owned by big companies (NBC Tegna CW Sincalir)
the only drawback is the sub you might want isnt what you get when they do it across the board ;)

I guess sometimes it's nice living in a market where 3 stations are O&O (CBS, FOX, MY) and 2 are owned by big companies (NBC Tegna CW Sincalir)
the only drawback is the sub you might want isnt what you get when they do it across the board ;)

I love having both Burlington/Plattsburgh and Boston/Manchester. All the major English and Spanish OTA networks in HD and multiple ABC CBS PBS Fox CW and NBC, ACC Network in HD on WSBK, Cozi TV, a decent independent (WBIN), MeTV, Movies, Create, and World. More subs would be nice but all the networks in HD is better to me. I have my 2 favorite subchannels (MeTV and Create) so that's good. I would like ASN. And I like always having multiple affiliates because I try to avoid tickers about school closings in 3 states (NY VT NH or MA NH VT) and interruptions at all costs when watching locals.

Edit: Unlike most markets we have Mhz Worldview and Classic Arts Showcase, too as subs if you live in NE NY, NW VT, and the greater Montreal area on WCFE Plattsburgh.

Last edited:
Thats the one issue about Minneapolis market. Its so huge (runs from Iowa border to almost Canada) so when there is a weather alert ANYWHERE in the market they have to run the crawl...even if its in Bemidji which is 200 miles from Minneapolis (but still in the DMA)

I liked when I had satellite. Minneapolis (and Mankato) OTA Duluth on satellite

Thats the one issue about Minneapolis market. Its so huge (runs from Iowa border to almost Canada) so when there is a weather alert ANYWHERE in the market they have to run the crawl...even if its in Bemidji which is 200 miles from Minneapolis (but still in the DMA)

I liked when I had satellite. Minneapolis (and Mankato) OTA Duluth on satellite

Ugh that must be brutal. It's not the same distance but when a storm is brushing Cape Cod and they're getting snow but it's sunny everywhere else it's annoying. The DMAs somewhat overlap in northern New England and I am glad Directv is good about SV up here.

that was the issue I had last year when I lived in Northern MN but still in the Mpls market. I'd be trying to watch TV and they would pre-empt it for "storm coverage" in the Twin Cities...100 miles away....and we would have sunny skies at the lake house :)

There is no rhyme or reason to their channels. Most of the locals are either in the 300s and 700s but then there's CBC CTV and SRC around 20. When they carried WPIX WB/CW 11 New York, it was 20. WPXG on 44 (why not the real 44) and WCFE HD is in a weird place. Comcast sucks. I can't stand the channel order. It confuses my parents so much. They rely on a spreadsheet I made them to find channels. I can't find an easy way to make a favorites list to weed out the junk and stuff they don't have.

There is no rhyme or reason to their channels. Most of the locals are either in the 300s and 700s but then there's CBC on 29 WPXG on 44 (why not the real 44) and WCFE HD is in a weird place. Comcast sucks. I can't stand the channel order. It confuses my parents so much. They rely on a spreadsheet I made them to find channels.

I learned that when I moved into my apartment and got Comcast here
all the subs are in the 200's so thats nice. But they're not in order so the 3 subs on the Independent (Me, This, Antenna) are in odd spots in the 200's and the 2 subs on the locla CW are wedged in between. Its a cluster
The HD nets are pretty good...at least the VHF stations (2,4,5,9,11) just plug an 8 on the front (802,804). The UHF stations are in between. The old SD numbers go back to the old lifeline (2-23) when it was analog.

I miss hitting "9" on satellite and getting KMSP FOX 9 in HD :)

Reactions: Tank and ejb1980

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)