Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
How are they counting and who's next?

If you read the press releases it says in both, "With the launch of local channels in [Alaska/Hawaii] and three other markets later this month, DIRECTV will offer local channels in 142 markets, representing more than 93 percent of U.S. TV households."

Back in October they said, "With the launch of local channels in [Mankato, Minn., Rochester, Minn., and Zanesville, Ohio] this December, DIRECTV will offer local channels in 137 designated market areas (DMA), representing more than 93 percent of U.S. TV households."

Alaska has 3 DMAs according to Nielsen (Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau) and Hawaii has 1 - Honolulu. So, 137 + 4 = 141...or is D* counting Alaska as one so 137 + 2 = 139...either way, I can't see how the math works.

The bigger question for me though...what other 3 markets are they hinting about? I want Binghamton, NY, but I know we're towards the bottom of the list.

Thanks for listening/reading my first post!

Last edited:
Here are #180 - #210, are they all served once these go up? (have any inside the top 210 been skipped)
180 Marquette
181 Harrisonburg
182 Greenwood-Greenville
183 Bowling Green
184 Meridian
185 Lima
186 Charlottesville
187 Grand Junction-Montrose
188 Laredo
189 Great Falls
190 Parkersburg
191 Lafayette, IN
192 Twin Falls
193 Butte-Bozeman
194 Eureka
195 Cheyenne-Scottsbluff
196 Bend, OR
197 San Angelo
198 Casper-Riverton
199 Ottumwa-Kirksville
200 Mankato
201 St. Joseph
202 Zanesville
203 Fairbanks
204 Presque Isle
205 Victoria
206 Helena
207 Juneau
208 Alpena
209 North Platte
210 Glendive

Attachments

• 09_2005 DMA List.zip
    95.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Here's what I've found

Here is a attachment with all the markets and columns for D* and DN. At the bottom is a total of each service's coverage. Out of 210, I count 141 DMAs covered for D* and 163 for DN with 93.589% and 95.611% respectively. I might have missed a couple, but this has got to be close to actual/announced. They've both got a long way to go to get the last 4-6% which includes where I live! :)

Attachments

• SatDMAs.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 335
DirecTV Goes Local in Alaska, Hawaii

DirecTV Inc. launched local-channel offerings in Alaska and Hawaii Thursday.

The direct-broadcast satellite provider said it now offers local channels in 142 markets, representing more than 93% of U.S. TV households.

DirecTV launched the service in Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks, Alaska, and throughout Hawaii.

Local channels being offered are:

• Juneau: KTOO (PBS) channel 3, KJUD (ABC) channel 8, KTBY (Fox) channel 4, KTNL (CBS/i) channel 13; KATH-LP (NBC) channel 5, WB (The WB Television Network) channel 14 and KYES (UPN) channel 15.

• Anchorage: KTBY (Fox) channel 4, KIMO (ABC) channel 13, KYES (UPN) channel 5, WB (WB) channel 14, KAKM (PBS) channel 7 and KDMD (i) channel 33.

• Fairbanks: KATN (ABC) channel 2, KTVF (NBC) channel 11, KJNP (independent) channel 4, WB (WB) channel 14 and KUAC (PBS) channel 9.

• Hawaii (Honolulu stations): KHON (Fox) channel 2, KHET (PBS) channel 11, KITV (ABC) channel 4, KHNL (NBC) channel 13, KFVE (WB) channel 5, KIKU (independent/UPN) channel 20 and KGMB (CBS/UPN) channel 9.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...UPP &nid=2226

when will directv offer wheeling/steubenville locals? They keep announcing they will add channels and the local affiliates have signed deals with directv and both told me by the end of the year is what directv told them wll it's 3 weeks away and still no locals.

mikedz4 said:
when will directv offer wheeling/steubenville locals? They keep announcing they will add channels and the local affiliates have signed deals with directv and both told me by the end of the year is what directv told them wll it's 3 weeks away and still no locals.
mikedz4 - That's good news for you though. At least your channels are in the pipeline. There hasn't been anything at all said about Binghamton, NY. Sigh.

my suggestion is to call or email your local stations to see when they are going to be on satellite. Just because they have reached an agreement doesn't mean they will be on the dish anytime soon though. Even though both locals reach agreements with directv and dish I see neither company has a local transmitter site around here to uplink the signals to the satellites yet though. Unless because we are only 35-40 miles from pittsburgh they are going to just use their uplink facilities instead.

Just FYI guys, if you look real close a downloadable file was attached here (and in most the other DMA threads) with the current DMA list. You can save and/or print it out so the multiple DMA links don't have to be posted 100 times. No biggie but it keeps you from have to scroll through a list or broswing away all the time.

And as a side note; feel free to call and hear what they have to say, but local affiliates will not be able to give you anything more than the same speculation on dates as you read here or any where else.

Last edited:
ok so does anyone know when i'm going to get my locals on directv? I want to dump cable come january or february when they have their annual rate hike and my 2 years of free digital cable is up. The major stumbling block is the fact that I can't get locals on satellite and I only pick up one station with an ota antenna.

mikedz4 said:
ok so does anyone know when i'm going to get my locals on directv? I want to dump cable come january or february when they have their annual rate hike and my 2 years of free digital cable is up. The major stumbling block is the fact that I can't get locals on satellite and I only pick up one station with an ota antenna.

It depends on what market you are in. When D* launches Directv 9S next year, that is when we should see a lot of locals coming online.

So 9S is still a go? I haven't heard much about it in a while. I don't think I've seen anything announced since SSLoral had their financial troubles. Does anyone know when it is supposed to be launched? One more Ku band satellite in the 101/119 position might be enough to cover all 210 DMAs.

i'm in wheeling,wv/steubenville,oh market. I don't want to put another dish on my roof though. In fact until I get my own place a 2nd dish is a no go. I had a very hard time convincing my dad to let me put the dish we have now up. I'm 24 but don't make enough money to afford an apartment and utilities yet.

mikedz4 said:
i'm in wheeling,wv/steubenville,oh market. I don't want to put another dish on my roof though. In fact until I get my own place a 2nd dish is a no go. I had a very hard time convincing my dad to let me put the dish we have now up. I'm 24 but don't make enough money to afford an apartment and utilities yet.

Get a rich girlfriend and move in with her, lol :D

if i could, i would. Now back to the original question, when will locals be available in wheeling/steubenville area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)