D* ads on Dish Discovery HD

I'm sure Dish has NO idea what ads the network will run nor when they run them. As I understand it, the cable and satellite companies are allowed to "overlap" commercials per their agreement but they just have to pick a time. Hell, they could overlap one of their own commercials that they paid to run on the network !!

I think there are only certain times/commerical blocks where DBS or cable companies can overlay the network ad. If cable/DBS were allowed to overlay any and all ad's the networks would have a hard time being able to sell any time if there was no guarantee that the ad would be seen by the advertisied number of viewers.

Kind of reminds me of that Viacom - Dish dispute when Viacom kept running a scrolling banner on the bottom of their channels blaming dish for the lack of a transmission agreement and then dish one upped them and ran their own banner which blocked out the Viacom one.

Did Discovery HD zoom the Dish ad like they do all their other commercials? (Sorry, I just find it weird that Discovery networks and TNT seem to be afraid of putting black or grey pillarbox on obvious SD content.)

I've seen plenty of D* ads on TWC and Dish programs as well as OTA. D* spends a lot on advertising. That's why they're the #2 multichannel provider. E* advertises less, but charges less (for SD). As a result, they're doing just fine at #3.

DIsh allows this in order to try to get rid of the problem subscribers who keep threatening to jump ship if one more thing doesn't go their way. Keeps costs down and the customer happiness level polls better that way.

;) :D

What about the countless ads for cable TV?:) Dish, by contract, can't in any way interfere with national advertising that a channel has booked as it airs. Dish may cut-away during the period allowed for local cable systems to air their local ads. Dish often airs the Craftmatic Bed and several other Senior oriented advertising during this cut-away. I've seem those Dish inserted ads air on MTV of all channels. OH, and let's not forget the never ending Country Wide: "HOMEOWNERS!" Perhaps Country Wide is on the brink due to the cost of its never-ending ads on Dish.

You've only just now discovered this? Heck, I see Comcast and Time-Warner ads all the time and they're not even the local cable company.

I'm have no doubt D* paid for the ads, but why Dish not blackout it or overlap by own ?

They can't just black out the ads. There are at least two types of ads on a cable channel; ads provided by the cable channel itself (in this case Discovery), and ads filled by the provider (cable/sat). You could watch a feed of Discovery Channel on a cable box and Dish box at the same time and some of the ads are the same, some are different. The DirecTV ads are clearly coming from the Discovery feed and not from the Dish portion of the ad time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)