D* CEO Mike White says "We’ll Have to Raise TV Prices Again in 2014"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here's a thought,

How about if DirecTv just gets out of the installation business? They are not very good at it anyway.

The installation basics could be taught in local junior high schools. Local electronics businesses could become certified to put installers on the street. DirecTv could ship receivers directly to customers after the dish is up and running; verified by phone with signal characteristics entered on the new account. Probably Radio Shack wouldn't be interested because of the Pstar deal but there might be others who would play.

Ending the FREE installation is a past due concept. Likewise, paying installers for their work couldn't hurt.

Joe

DIRECTV wants to do all the installs themselves, they are pushing their retailers out the door slowly but surely. :(

Here's a thought,

How about if DirecTv just gets out of the installation business? They are not very good at it anyway.

The installation basics could be taught in local junior high schools. Local electronics businesses could become certified to put installers on the street. DirecTv could ship receivers directly to customers after the dish is up and running; verified by phone with signal characteristics entered on the new account. Probably Radio Shack wouldn't be interested because of the Pstar deal but there might be others who would play.

Ending the FREE installation is a past due concept. Likewise, paying installers for their work couldn't hurt.

Joe

I agree with some of that, but without a subsidized installation, I would not have DirecTV. I'm not paying for the installation, receivers, and any other fees just to get a service that cable would certainly install for free or for a much lower price. It would be very difficult to put that genie back in the bottle.

I agree with some of that, but without a subsidized installation, I would not have DirecTV. I'm not paying for the installation, receivers, and any other fees just to get a service that cable would certainly install for free or for a much lower price. It would be very difficult to put that genie back in the bottle.

Install is not free from cable. I hear it all the time when they switch to Directv how much the cable company tried to charge them. It's only free if the house is wired. If they have to do more than the drop you pay.

The things that get's me is both Directv are cutting pay to installation in one way or another. Raise prices to customers, all while making billions in profit.

Ya, Cable charges installation fees, BUT CABLE IS CONTRACT FREE.

It was always my understanding the contract is what pays for the installation. If they start charging for installation the service better be contract free.

I miss the old days of being able to buy a DirecTV "kit" (dish + receiver) at BestBuy, Walmart, etc, take it home and install then call to activate.

Ya, Cable charges installation fees, BUT CABLE IS CONTRACT FREE.

It was always my understanding the contract is what pays for the installation. If they start charging for installation the service better be contract free.

I miss the old days of being able to buy a DirecTV "kit" (dish + receiver) at BestBuy, Walmart, etc, take it home and install then call to activate.

Not always. Their prices are often tied to a term contract.

I think IF you are paying for the installation AND paying a monthly fee for programming the service should be free of commercial advertisement. Like any other negotiation, both sides must win something. As it is the customer subsidizes the advertisements they receive when they order or contract for entertainment. AS the costs related to installing the service go up the money offered to do the installations remains flat....(varies around the country a little). SO the customers and installers eat some of the overhead costs while DirecTv and its' shareholders slice up the major portion of the income from several sources. YES they do also share all the overhead before any profit emerges. I think the situation needs sorting.

Joe

Another provider that will also increase thier prices this year, just like every other provider does every year ?
ditto and its true every time someone tries to make news about Provider A raising prices. How many times have we seen this?

I think IF you are paying for the installation AND paying a monthly fee for programming the service should be free of commercial advertisement.
well good luck with that one and be prepared to pay a lot more. At some point in the tangled web someone has paid for that programming with commercials that subsidize it. Take the commercials away and the price goes way up.

Install is not free from cable. I hear it all the time when they switch to Directv how much the cable company tried to charge them. It's only free if the house is wired. If they have to do more than the drop you pay.

The things that get's me is both Directv are cutting pay to installation in one way or another. Raise prices to customers, all while making billions in profit.
i just had charter installed, including phone and internet. they had to wire the whole house, no charge at all, no contract.

When I got Road Runner and lifeline cable from TimeWarner they came out and ran a cable from the street, wired the house with three drops with no installation fee, no contract. Cable, in general does not charge for installation.

i just had charter installed, including phone and internet. they had to wire the whole house, no charge at all, no contract.

I'm sure it varies by region/provider and whatever promotions they might be offering. Cox has always charged an installation fee here and now asks for a contract too or you can do a self install for no charge and its still contract free. I think they figured out that a lot of people were just using them on an interim basis while jumping between sat providers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts