D* CEO Mike White says "We’ll Have to Raise TV Prices Again in 2014"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
did you really think they wouldn't?
A provider can add no channels...hell take away channels and still raise rates yearly

Everything is going up... except for our salaries. at one point, enough is enough, and the bubble will bust.
IPTV and a-la-carte will be the norm down the road.

Cheers, K

The entire system is what is costing us more. Still hardly a mention about programmer fees. ESPN is No. 1, no? (Along with other sports programmers.)

This has been happening at least for five years. An annual increase, which seems to take effect at some point during the first half of each year.

well good luck with that one and be prepared to pay a lot more. At some point in the tangled web someone has paid for that programming with commercials that subsidize it. Take the commercials away and the price goes way up.

That is what I'm talking about,
I can't help thinking IF they dropped all the ads and put a price on films and maybe the inevitable situation comedies or dramatic shows people would buy them. Don't know what the price would be but these shows play all over the world; many nickles are going into the slot as it is. When you sound it out, many people have only so much time to invest in entertainment TV. They don't feel like double paying for twenty percent of the time devoted to sales pitches. These are viewed as digressions from the shows they do watch.

I lament the departure of the video stores. No commercials on the tapes (almost.) They demonstrated a price point folks would accept. If the bean counters could get a national provider into that range it might work....for some.

Joe

Keep dreaming on al la carte. It's in no ones interest even consumers because if it ever happened you'd be stuck watching all the drivel the rest of America likes and if that was all you watch you'd likely of ditched DirecTV for hulu a long time ago. Regardless, far too few station owners and providers making bank to screw with the gravy train.

Want an idea of any a la cart future? It already exists on iTunes and amazon video.

Keep dreaming on al la carte. It's in no ones interest even consumers because if it ever happened you'd be stuck watching all the drivel the rest of America likes and if that was all you watch you'd likely of ditched DirecTV for hulu a long time ago. Regardless, far too few station owners and providers making bank to screw with the gravy train.

Want an idea of any a la cart future? It already exists on iTunes and amazon video.

I suppose that's why netflix,hulu,and amazon continue to see strong growth.So imo,it's definitely in the interest of us consumers.

Just to note that Cox now offers 2 year locks on their rates. If I were to sign back up with them now (out of contract with DTV), I'd lock in at the current PROMO price for 2 years with no worries of it increasing in those 24 months. That's without any installation cost either. They've been sending me some very interesting offers as of late since they rolled out their Contour product. I must admit, I'm somewhat intrigued at the possibility of no rate increases for 2 solid years. Didn't get that with DTV and their promotional sign up offer; only discounts. Cox is giving bundled discounts AND a 2 year lock on rates. Well, at least out here :)

Just to note that Cox now offers 2 year locks on their rates. If I were to sign back up with them now (out of contract with DTV), I'd lock in at the current PROMO price for 2 years with no worries of it increasing in those 24 months. That's without any installation cost either. They've been sending me some very interesting offers as of late since they rolled out their Contour product. I must admit, I'm somewhat intrigued at the possibility of no rate increases for 2 solid years. Didn't get that with DTV and their promotional sign up offer; only discounts. Cox is giving bundled discounts AND a 2 year lock on rates. Well, at least out here :)

I've been getting those offers from Cox every 2 weeks for 2 months now here at home in Broken Arrow and at our townhouse/condo in Las Vegas. The problem is even with the discounts I'm still paying $20 or so more a month if I went with Cox over Dish and the Cox equipment and software gui leaves a lot to be desired compared to Dish, even with my old 722 and 211k's. There is no way I would go from a Hopper or Genie to Cox equipment unless i could save $20 a month or more bundling and that isn't happening.

Ya, Cable charges installation fees, BUT CABLE IS CONTRACT FREE.

It was always my understanding the contract is what pays for the installation. If they start charging for installation the service better be contract free.

I miss the old days of being able to buy a DirecTV "kit" (dish + receiver) at BestBuy, Walmart, etc, take it home and install then call to activate.

You can still do that, just not at the Big Box stores.

well good luck with that one and be prepared to pay a lot more. At some point in the tangled web someone has paid for that programming with commercials that subsidize it. Take the commercials away and the price goes way up.

So how come CBS with commercials is free vs TNT with commercials is pay?

When I got Road Runner and lifeline cable from TimeWarner they came out and ran a cable from the street, wired the house with three drops with no installation fee, no contract. Cable, in general does not charge for installation.

REMEMBER......a cable installation is just that; cable. While the cable companies use satellites & dish antennae they have a dish farm at their head end (office). A small dish installation (DirecTV or DISH) will have similar equipment at every address. Then the set top equipment is more sophisticated. The CATV eq is sometimes even installed in many TVs at the factory.

Cable companies have always been cool about giving away a roll of cable to make a sale. It is all the other services that cost real money.

It goes like that...................but for myself, I wonder where everything would be without the DirecTV sports $$$$$$$ capability?

Joe

Ya, Cable charges installation fees, BUT CABLE IS CONTRACT FREE.

It was always my understanding the contract is what pays for the installation. If they start charging for installation the service better be contract free.

I miss the old days of being able to buy a DirecTV "kit" (dish + receiver) at BestBuy, Walmart, etc, take it home and install then call to activate.

I'd love to see D* go back to the way it was prior to around 2002... You could buy a self installation kit or just pay someone to do it for you. Maybe offer a coupon towards the installation price if you sign on an contract (that's how my parent's were in 2000), no contract if you do it yourself. The equipment was right there at the dealer and you could pick exactly what you wanted - - no roulette games about what model you were going to get.

It's not that hard to install a Slimline, even without a compass... Anyone with any handy skills can do it - - and those who don't could get an installer. Plus you can actually put it where you actually want it--a lot if people have been unhappy with where D* has plopped their dish in the name of liability when there are other areas with LOS that could be comparable. Remember the instructional video that came with the old kits?

It's always been a gripe of mine about how D* demands to be in the installation business so much now, yet it's a major source of expense that they shouldn't have to pass on to customers. I moved to a new place a few years back with a narrow, yet totally viable LOS... It took 3 installers until one would do it, and the first 2 were just rude when I pointed out exactly why it would work and that NO they don't need a 20* open spread for a Slimline 3, only a 5 of which this was not--and at I'll wouldn't do it. The third was a supervisor and said 'it's a little close but will be fine' and stuck it in... Duh lol

I wonder just how many subs D* wouldn't have gained over the years if they had kept the installation process the way it was? It was always an accepted thing that if you wanted a dish you would install it... I think my biggest gripe isn't that they offer installation--it's a good service to have... But the fact that they absolutely demand to do the install unless you pay Solid Signal full price for everything and do it yourself. I'd think they'd want to give me a credit to do it myself!

Also for cable, yes they used to charge for installs... At least around here though Comcast has been removing traps now that they are all digital. Any place you move that used to have digital cable just gets turned on when you call in, and gets turned off at will, just like satellites... No traps because there's no way to steal it and as far as I know noone has cracked DC2 so they feel no need to physically block any signals--the traps wreaked havoc with the Internet service anyway.

I'd love to see D* go back to the way it was prior to around 2002... You could buy a self installation kit or just pay someone to do it for you. Maybe offer a coupon towards the installation price if you sign on an contract (that's how my parent's were in 2000), no contract if you do it yourself. The equipment was right there at the dealer and you could pick exactly what you wanted - - no roulette games about what model you were going to get.

It's not that hard to install a Slimline, even without a compass... Anyone with any handy skills can do it - - and those who don't could get an installer. Plus you can actually put it where you actually want it--a lot if people have been unhappy with where D* has plopped their dish in the name of liability when there are other areas with LOS that could be comparable. Remember the instructional video that came with the old kits?

It's always been a gripe of mine about how D* demands to be in the installation business so much now, yet it's a major source of expense that they shouldn't have to pass on to customers. I moved to a new place a few years back with a narrow, yet totally viable LOS... It took 3 installers until one would do it, and the first 2 were just rude when I pointed out exactly why it would work and that NO they don't need a 20* open spread for a Slimline 3, only a 5 of which this was not--and at I'll wouldn't do it. The third was a supervisor and said 'it's a little close but will be fine' and stuck it in... Duh lol

I wonder just how many subs D* wouldn't have gained over the years if they had kept the installation process the way it was? It was always an accepted thing that if you wanted a dish you would install it... I think my biggest gripe isn't that they offer installation--it's a good service to have... But the fact that they absolutely demand to do the install unless you pay Solid Signal full price for everything and do it yourself. I'd think they'd want to give me a credit to do it myself!

Also for cable, yes they used to charge for installs... At least around here though Comcast has been removing traps now that they are all digital. Any place you move that used to have digital cable just gets turned on when you call in, and gets turned off at will, just like satellites... No traps because there's no way to steal it and as far as I know noone has cracked DC2 so they feel no need to physically block any signals--the traps wreaked havoc with the Internet service anyway.

I too miss the over the counter days.
Even the round dish was too much for some homeowners. There was a nice pile of change to be made correcting newbi errors. As the installations became more complex the number of folks who could get an HD system up shrank. The troubleshooting time to find installation errors must have gone up. Even the larger dishes could be more challenging. Consider a ladder accident trying to climb with a SL.

Joe

I've been getting those offers from Cox every 2 weeks for 2 months now here at home in Broken Arrow and at our townhouse/condo in Las Vegas. The problem is even with the discounts I'm still paying $20 or so more a month if I went with Cox over Dish and the Cox equipment and software gui leaves a lot to be desired compared to Dish, even with my old 722 and 211k's. There is no way I would go from a Hopper or Genie to Cox equipment unless i could save $20 a month or more bundling and that isn't happening.

I think the new Contour product along with the new ability to record 6 shows at once will certainly give the Sat companies a run for the money. My only concern is if Cox has enough bandwidth to allow recording of 6 HD shows at once. I have no idea. I also need to dig into the channel offerings with the promo they're sending me......no to mention they're also bundling my high speed internet which is $60 in itself. I'll probably stick with D* but Cox is sure dangling the carrot.......

I think the new Contour product along with the new ability to record 6 shows at once will certainly give the Sat companies a run for the money. My only concern is if Cox has enough bandwidth to allow recording of 6 HD shows at once. I have no idea. I also need to dig into the channel offerings with the promo they're sending me......no to mention they're also bundling my high speed internet which is $60 in itself. I'll probably stick with D* but Cox is sure dangling the carrot.......

I actually just looked it up a few minutes ago as I was curious. They have the bandwidth in the Tulsa Metro for sure, as I helped with the fiber build out several years ago when I got my first job out of college. Las Vegas I don't know what facilities they have there but we were getting faster than advertised speeds when I left Monday.

Contour is $10 a month, 6 tuner dvr is $8.50 a month, dvr fee for 6 tuner dvr services is $14.99 a month and then the programming packages run $61.99, $71.99 and $82.99 before any advertised 3 or 6 month specials.

I pay $89 a month total for Dish for AT250, dvr and receiver fees with a 722 and 2 211k's (with dvr software activated). I used to take receiver to the lake house but now I use Sling to view the 722 at the lake house here in Oklahoma and also when we go to the Condo in Vegas. I sling from the 722 to my tablet at the lake house and in Vegas and just connect it to the tv with an HDMi cable. It actually works really well and looks surprisingly good on a 60in tv. So Cox has a ways to go to get my business for anything other than internet.

edit for spelling

Supposedly (going off memory here), they're offering me the following for $118/month with a 2 year lock:

Contour service
Record 6 DVR
DVR service
Programming (unknown at this point)
Preferred level HSI

So, essentially I'd be paying about $60 a month for the next 2 years for the cable side with no chance of an increase and no additional haggling for discounts. Not saying it's a better deal since I've yet to add in another receiver nor have I reviewed what programming is included. Just find it interesting and glad to see others have heard of it. Thanks for the responses!

I really like D* but find it irritating that I have to keep calling back in for discounts since the standard rates seem a bit high for my taste. My current set of discounts expire with my December bill so I'll have to spin the CSR roulette wheel once again to see what they'll offer. Joy!! The 2 year lock with Cox is what keeps peaking my interest...no need to call back except when the cable goes out!! :)

You CAN do your own work with D* still .... it will just cost you a bit more as you would have to buy the recvr (lease still) and the dish equipment yourself.

You can buy everything you need from places like Solid Signal ect and set it up yourself and once you have a picture , call D* and ask to have it activated.

Sorry but I would not buy from Solid Signal, because that would be like buying from Directv which charges the same, give or take on shipping cost, I know that they(Solid Signal) will sell specific receivers, But on lower pricing depending on the seller, I would go to EBay or Amazon, Or try a free or discount receiver if you're lucky from Directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts