D*/E* Merger?

trumanhorn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Missouri
Washington, D.C. (August 5, 2008) -- Dish Network is considering merging with rival satcaster DIRECTV, The Wall Street Journal reported today.

The newspaper reports that the companies have not discussed a formal proposal, but have had "general discussions" about the idea.

The two satcasters attempted to merge several years ago, but the FCC rejected the plan in 2002 on grounds that it would be anti-competitive.

However, in the years since, other video competition has emerged, including TV services from telco giants AT&T and Verizon and set-top Net TV services from Apple TV, Amazon, TiVo and Netflix.

WSJ reports that Dish CEO Ergen believes that federal regulators may be more receptive to a merger at this time, particularly after the agency just approved the satellite radio merger between XM and Sirius.

The two satcaster could not be reached for comment, Reuters reports.

Source: Dish Network and DIRECTV Talk Merger

Interesting...

I hope they never merge. I would hate to lose MLB EI and YES Network, and that could happen if Ergen ever ran the combined companies.

I hope they never merge. I would hate to lose MLB EI and YES Network, and that could happen if Ergen ever ran the combined companies.

Actually I think the opposite would happen. I think Charlie wants to get out of the DBS business. He wants DIRECTV to take over the programming by buying Dish (nice how Dish is now a separate company). He will sit back and run Echostar, leasing them satellite space and building their settop boxes.

John Malone from Liberty Media ( part owner of DirecTV) was on CNBC this morning.
He was pessimistic about any merger because of continued antitrust concerns. No action at least until after the election. Of course this was a public statement and may not be the whole truth.

So E and D are going to ride the coat tails of Sirius and XM to get their approval through the FCC. Good. No more bitching that mine is better then yours.

I just don't see a merger. Although I am inclined against it, maybe it wouldn't be a totally bad idea. Need details. And then we need Fios to have a great, or even good, HD DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)