D* HD upgrade question(s)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

osubeavers

Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
HD/SD Directivo upgrade question(s)

Hello,

Did a quick forum search, and couldn't find a similar question(s).

I currently have a SD directivo and can not see myself giving it up the Tivo service, but would like to also upgrade to HD.

Currently, I'm not ready to pay the $800+ (even with the $250 credit retention offer) for an HD Directivo. Generally, do HD installers that D* sends out be willing to add a third line so that I can continue using my SD Directivo (2 inputs) and add the HD receiver (1 input)?

If I did go the HD Directivo route, could I get the receiver, dish, OTA antenna, etc. installed by the same company and then apply the $250 credit?

Am I going about this wrong? Should I wait and dish out the money for a HD Directivo or use seperate SD/HD receivers? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It might be of interest that there is a little buzz over at tivocommunity that the HD tivo might drop in price sometime in the next couple of months.

That said I dont know why the installer couldnt run the third line. should be part of the standard install if there are the 2 receivers in the same room.

I went this route but I did a self install with a little help from a good friend (Enforcer)

ShadowEKU said:
It might be of interest that there is a little buzz over at tivocommunity that the HD tivo might drop in price sometime in the next couple of months.

I guess patience is the key, but I can't help but think that my new TV is being neglected since it has yet been hooked up to an HDTV source. :)

The CSR that I talked with last night, said that the $250 DTivo credit or $150 Standard HD upgrade offer is only good for two weeks. Though I assume that I can ask for it again several weeks from now.

By the way, the CSR also said that D* will be able to offer DTivo's directly in a couple of months.

I currently have a SD directivo and can not see myself giving it up the Tivo service, but would like to also upgrade to HD.

I just did exactly that. I had D*Tivo and got the new HD-STB. The installer ran the extra lines down through the wall and now I have D*Tivo with 2 lines and D*HD STB with 2 lines (1-SAT, 1-OTA) . I got all this for $108. I'd love to have HDTivo, bit $800+ just for the STB is assinine. I'm more than happy to watch SD Tivo until the prices drop.

I had an HD receiver first and then added a Free SD Tivo to my main TV. Running an additional 2 lines to my location was part of the install, as was the multi switch.

smolenski said:
I just did exactly that. I had D*Tivo and got the new HD-STB. The installer ran the extra lines down through the wall and now I have D*Tivo with 2 lines and D*HD STB with 2 lines (1-SAT, 1-OTA) . I got all this for $108. I'd love to have HDTivo, bit $800+ just for the STB is assinine. I'm more than happy to watch SD Tivo until the prices drop.
Why 2 lines for the HD box? Could have diplexed the line for the OTA and the SAT. Oh well, I guess it is good to have 4 coax lines going to your setup now.

smolenski said:
I just did exactly that. I had D*Tivo and got the new HD-STB. The installer ran the extra lines down through the wall and now I have D*Tivo with 2 lines and D*HD STB with 2 lines (1-SAT, 1-OTA) . I got all this for $108.

If you don't mind me asking, was that price through a D* retention offer?

Also, would I be paying an additional monthly cost for the HD Receiver, or is the $10+ (3 months free) HD programming cost cover that.

Since you are probably looking to replace your current receiver with an HD-Tivo, you will not pay any additional fees. If you relocate your current receiver to another room you would pay a mirror fee for the additional receiver.

Retention has some good deals for existing subscribers. You should give them a call directly at 800-600-8977, no waiting in the normal phone queue. If you don't get what you want try again and get someone else.

Thanks for the suggestion Tonedef,

I did give the customer Retention center last night, and am more than happy with the offer that they gave me: $250 credit for Directivo or $150 off a standard HD receiver installation. The only catch that they have (and it could be a big one depending on your situation) is that you have to sign a one year commitment.

D* has been outstanding in their reliability (lost signal only twice in three years), so I wouldn't mind committing for another year. Just wanting to stretch my dollar as far as possible.

A little help???? LOL, and who was up on your roof?????

ShadowEKU said:

That said I dont know why the installer couldnt run the third line. should be part of the standard install if there are the 2 receivers in the same room.

I went this route but I did a self install with a little help from a good friend (Enforcer)

osubeavers said:
Thanks for the suggestion Tonedef,

I did give the customer Retention center last night, and am more than happy with the offer that they gave me: $250 credit for Directivo or $150 off a standard HD receiver installation. The only catch that they have (and it could be a big one depending on your situation) is that you have to sign a one year commitment.

D* has been outstanding in their reliability (lost signal only twice in three years), so I wouldn't mind committing for another year. Just wanting to stretch my dollar as far as possible.

Any time you activate a new receiver, you need to do this. Your gonna keep the service anyway, no big deal.

Me, Enforcer, and ShadowEKU should hang out sometime since we live so close together.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing with having a DTivo and our HD receiver in the same room. The only problem is running 2 more lines to the living room. There's already a cable clutter mess because of how our home theatre and our living room sits.

Enforcer said:
A little help???? LOL, and who was up on your roof?????

EDIT: okay alot of help... but both of us knew what we were doing.... right?

not that im going to argue much but i was going to go up there but you practicly ran out the door and up the ladder.

you enjoyed it... admit it :D

and yeah i was up ther eagain sunday taking down those darn tree branches... there was a much easier way to get up there.... corner.

I plan on making the same purchase from D*: HD Receiver and Tivo. I have the standard STB right now and I know there is only 1 line coming in the house. Do i need to ask for additional lines to be run, or will they be doing it automatically?

Also, does anyone know what kind of OTA Antenna D* offers? I'd hate to buy it not knowing anythig about it.

dentonpc said:
I plan on making the same purchase from D*: HD Receiver and Tivo. I have the standard STB right now and I know there is only 1 line coming in the house. Do i need to ask for additional lines to be run, or will they be doing it automatically?

Also, does anyone know what kind of OTA Antenna D* offers? I'd hate to buy it not knowing anythig about it.

After moving into our new house, I had D* send an installer to set up my old Directivo upstairs, and add a new one downstairs. The installer knew prior to arrival that they were setting up two Directivos, and ran two extra lines (one up stairs and downstairs) from the dish. So in the end, I had two lines upstairs (one installed by D* and the other which came with the house) and two downstairs.

So to answer your question, I believe that the installer will know exactly what they need to do when they get to your house.

dentonpc said:

Be sure that the notes the CSR puts in that you will need new lines run. It is included, but if you need a receiver re-located, that needs to be in the notes for the installer or it probably won't get done.

The Antenna D* uses and what I have received on 2 installs I have been involved in is the Winegard GS-1100.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)