D* Install tomorrow. Few Questions....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cranked

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
The biggest question involves the type of install that they will do. I don't know everything about satellite install, but from what I read, you get either two lines to each DVR or they do a SWM and then they only have to run one line to each DVR? Well, my house is already pre-wired in every room for cable and the living room where one of the DVR's will be already has two lines ran to it. Do they automatically do the SWM if they would have to run extra lines? (Since I am getting a DVR in the bedroom where there is only one line already ran.) Would it pay for me to run the extra line to the bedroom myself tonight, because if thats the type of install I am getting, I would like to replace the box in the wall to make it look nice rather than just putting a line through the floor?

Also, what signal strengths are acceptable? Obviously, the higher the better, but what is the minimum I should be happy with? I ask this because I always hear people say that their signal rarely goes out with the rain, but with my Dish Network it goes out pretty much every time it rains and I am sick of that. I don't want the same thing to happen with D*. Is the installer required to stay and adjust my signal until its in the 90's? If not, you think offering him a little cash on the side to get it dialed in is something that you would do, or should I just mess with it myself after he leaves? I installed a D* system myself years ago when they still let you do it yourself and it wasn't that hard, but that was years ago and I don't know what has changed now.

Thanks.

SWM installs are cool precisely why you posted; they require one coaxial line to each DVR for full functionality of each unit. Say down the line you want an additional DVR receiver in another one coaxial only room; with the SWM installed it's no problem. Whether you get one depends on luck & the amount of DVR's they will be installing. I read on here that you need 5 to qualify for the SWM setup but I just went out & purchased my own SWM-8 switch which lets me hook up my own stuff. Since yours is a SWM LNB (you think) the setup would be slightly different. Another nice thing about the technology is the ability to splice in an OTA antenna if you have one so you can catch some of your local stuff that D doesn't even broadcast.

As for tipping, if he does a great job & locks those byrds in the 90's like he should a gratuity to show your appreciation never hurts. If you are unhappy with his 70's, I guess you could offer up a bribe to get them into the nineties.
Everyone should try & tune one of these newer dishes as they are more complicated than the old oval but once you familiarize yourself with it it becomes a quick fix.

All my signals are in the 90s on 101 and sometimes I see a 100. On 99c and 103c I get high 80s or low 90s.

Should I expect to see a few more 100s or are my expectations for signal strength too high?

All my signals are in the 90s on 101 and sometimes I see a 100. On 99c and 103c I get high 80s or low 90s.

Should I expect to see a few more 100s or are my expectations for signal strength too high?

Those are excellent signal strength numbers. No need to get all 100's, unless you are one of those kids that got all A's in school! ;)

Those are excellent signal strength numbers. No need to get all 100's, unless you are one of those kids that got all A's in school! ;)

Exactly,
100s are technically impossible....you loose something in the 23,000miles from the satellite to the receiver.....mostly the LNB, cable & fittings.

Good to go....the numbers will change...still no problem.

Joe

FYI, the signal strength number is not a percentage of max strength. There are other factors, such as quality of sgnal, that get factored in. In most cases the 100s are from the spot beam serving your area.

FYI, the signal strength number is not a percentage of max strength. There are other factors, such as quality of sgnal, that get factored in. In most cases the 100s are from the spot beam serving your area.

Time for a knowledge upgrade. The SBCA "class" covered legacy stuff I had been doing for years.

Thanks,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How to share files with HR-21 and PC?

Playing MKV files on HR-21. HELP!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts