D* Installation Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nolzman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I am a current E* customer that is switching to D*, mainly because of the HR10-250 HD TIVO. I really want the ability to record HD (both satellite and OTA). I also want dual satellite and OTA tuners, and HD TIVO is the only unit that will give me that. I ordered the equipment from Value Electronics (HD TIVO, SD TIVO and a third room with a regular receiver.

Has anyone had any experience with the installer they (Value Electronics) use in NW Atlanta? I have read some horror stories (not about their installer, just in general) and I would like to know what to expect.

Also, I because of the 3-room installed I had to order a 5 X 8 multiswitch from them. I am not sure I fully understand how a multi-switch works. I know I need five lines out 2= HD TIVO, 2= SD TIVO, and 1 regular receiver. I also know that only four lines can come out of the LNB. My question is how many lines are needed for the mulit-switch to output 5 signals. By this I mean, how many lines in are required minimally, and if different, how many lines would be optimal for best performance, and why?

The reason I ask is that I have 3 lines currently running from my E* dish in the back yard to the house. These are good runs, buried underground, and I would like to not have to dig them up and add another line, if it is not necessary.

Welcome aboard the D* train! Your HD recording experience will be much better soon. Value Electronics has great reviews on this board and others. Their customer service is second to none. I also recently purchased the HR10-250 from them and I am very happy.

There is no reason that the installer for D* could not use the existing wiring. In fact I am sure they would prefer it.

Again welcome aboard!

From what i understand, you will need 4 lines running from the 18x20 dish to you 5x8 multiswitch. I needed 5 outputs also and the only way was to run 4 from the dish to the 5x8 switch.

okaydave hit it right on the head.

The 5X8 denotes 4 satellite lines and 1 OTA antenna line that can allow up to 8 tuners to watch different channels at once. I have one because I have 2 DTivos ane 1 HD receiver so I have all 5 tuners active at the same time. You MUST run the 4 lines from the built in multiswitch on the dish to the 4 satellite in lines of the cascadable multiswitch.

So... is the OTA signal combined into the satellite signal on the 8 outs? If so do you always need a diplexor to seperate the signal before going into the receiver. If you do not have an OTA receiver, do you still need a diplexor? It would be nice if the signal was combined, that way I could get an OTA HD receiver for the upstairs HD TV.

It combines the OTA signal with the satellite signal on all 8 outputs. You will need a diplexor to seperate them for every TV you want to hook up.

Cool.... That is a nice feature. Will I loose any OTA signal strength? I am border line on a couple of my channels, depending on the weather and season. There is not much else I can do with my antenna rig. I had a professional spend many hours and $ to get what I got. I do not want to lose any channels, because of signal lose. I currently use diplexors in my run.

I currently use Dish 6000 as my OTA receiver. Does the HR10-250 have a good OTA tuner? It needs to be at least as good as the 6000's. IF it is better, this may help my reception.

Thanks for the replies Neutron.

I have many things to remember when the installers get here. :)

We're here to help!! Please let us know how your install turns out!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)