D* is getting smoked!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm going to wait. I've been a DTV Sub for 9 years. Don't forget that most of us posting here are the "Early Adopters".

Nothing ever happens soon enough or fast enough. AND someone always has something better.

I have more patience than that. One has more than the other NOW. in 07, it will reverse and those that switched will switch back and then complain that they have to get all new equipment.

Oh well, let the games continue.

talos4 said:
One has more than the other NOW. in 07, it will reverse and those that switched will switch back and then complain that they have to get all new equipment.

Oh well, let the games continue.

I'm NOT so sure. From some of the comments I have read from D* management I am getting the impression that even when they have the capacity for 100 or more HD channels they aren't going to want to pay the programming costs for the content. Then they will hold out and try to negotiate for lower carriage fees for months or years and before you know it 2008 will be here and nada, zip, zilch.

Maybe I am just getting discouraged.

The thing that bothers me right now is the SD picture quality is terrible, worse then I ever remember it being.

The reason I stay is I know someone with digital cable, and the color is horrible.

Good point. Timing may not be 2007. Also, capacity does not equal delivered. US soccer team showed that. Swagger did not equal World Cup performance. In fact that was embarrassing.

I am still holding hope for both US team and D*!!

Brewer4 said:
Good point. Timing may not be 2007. Also, capacity does not equal delivered. US soccer team showed that. Swagger did not equal World Cup performance. In fact that was embarrassing.

I am still holding hope for both US team and D*!!

The US soccer team is highly over ranked. I wouldnt keep hoping.

bgsmallwood said:
I'm NOT so sure. From some of the comments I have read from D* management I am getting the impression that even when they have the capacity for 100 or more HD channels they aren't going to want to pay the programming costs for the content. Then they will hold out and try to negotiate for lower carriage fees for months or years and before you know it 2008 will be here and nada, zip, zilch.

Maybe I am just getting discouraged.

When it comes to adding new SD channels, D* usually has them way before E*. Also, I think that D* has better negotiation skills than E*. E* seems to drop channels because they can't come to an agreement when renegotiating new contracts and fees. Like what happened to OLN, Lifetime, etc. D* seems to work things out better with the programmers.

People will switch the E* now, because they have a few more available HD channels. Then when D* lights up its new satellites with HD programing they will be back in the lead, and all of the people that left and went to E* will want to come back, because D* has more HD.

One thing that is hurting D*, is people just buying new HD sets today. They are new to the HD game and are going to look at where they can get the most currently available HD programing, for their new HDTV. Today that is E*.

Jhon69 said:
I really like the way E* is locking their HD customers into their SD programming packages.I first thing I'm going to want to do when I get a HDTV is watch SD programming!.

Being that the actual channels that are in HD are fairly limited, most people would want an SD package to go with it.

Also, They have an HD stand alone package for $30.

mlb said:
Being that the actual channels that are in HD are fairly limited, most people would want an SD package to go with it.

Also, They have an HD stand alone package for $30.

I'm sorry my mistake I thought they eliminated that option.I couldn't find it on E*
website.:)

I Made The Switch

I was a DirecTV subscriber for 7 years and switched to E* last month. I have three of their HD-DVR's (VIP622) and could not be happier. I think I get something like 26 National HD CHannels, of which all seem to be good. I have two projectors in my set-up, one at 92" and one at 110" and I can say without a doubt that the picture quality on E* is much better then on D*, that is with both HD and SD. With D* I had 3 HR10-250's. Also E*'s new HD-DVR is far more advanced then the HR10-250. Once you get used to it, you can not imagine going back to the HR10-250.

~Josh

I envy you. I can't watch D* in SD any longer on my 73" TV. Tomorrow I will have cable installed and hope the picture can be much better. I can't have Dish here in South Florida because I have no East view (61.5) and the 129 is a no-no. I had Dish before and with the new DVRs it became a no brainner.

beatboy77 said:
I was a DirecTV subscriber for 7 years and switched to E* last month. I have three of their HD-DVR's (VIP622) and could not be happier. I think I get something like 26 National HD CHannels, of which all seem to be good. I have two projectors in my set-up, one at 92" and one at 110" and I can say without a doubt that the picture quality on E* is much better then on D*, that is with both HD and SD. With D* I had 3 HR10-250's. Also E*'s new HD-DVR is far more advanced then the HR10-250. Once you get used to it, you can not imagine going back to the HR10-250.

~Josh

26?!?! Good Lord, I counted 12 total for D*, and 2 you have to subscribe to HBO\Showtime), and 3 are local-HD. And I\we (San Diego) don't have FOX-HD. I know it's not D*'s fault about the FOX thing. Still leaves D* way behind.

I have 29 plus all my Locals OTA in HD, too. Yes I have everything HD Platinum @ $104.99 (before tax) but well worth it compared to my present DirecTV bill of $74.16 with their HD package.

vgsantiago said:
26?!?! Good Lord, I counted 12 total for D*, and 2 you have to subscribe to HBO\Showtime), and 3 are local-HD. And I\we (San Diego) don't have FOX-HD. I know it's not D*'s fault about the FOX thing. Still leaves D* way behind.

Dish currently has 26 National HD channels

Plus, ShowTime-HD, HBO-HD, Starz-HD ( thats makes 29 HD channels )

Plus, Local HD channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) (that makes 33 HD channels for Dish) plus you can get local HD channeld via an antenna OTA and integrate them with the reciever.

richard_rd said:

Plus, Local HD channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) (that makes 33 HD channels for Dish) plus you can get local HD channeld via an antenna OTA and integrate them with the reciever.

33?!?!? Good, Good, Lord!!!! I didn't need to hear that on a Friday afternoon:D

richard_rd said:

How many of those channels are the crappy VOOM channels? I have to say it because I can't take it any more. If DTV offered the VOOM lineup tomorrow for $2/month I wouldn't subscribe because those channels are garbage which is why they failed when they were on their own. It just dives me crazy everytime I see a poster exotoling the virtures of E* because of the VOOM channels. I already get HDNET and HD Movies which are barely watched because of poor or old programs that I am not going to watch just because they are in HD. Currently the only HD channel I would like that E* has that DTV doesn't is Starz-HD but I can live without it since I probably only watch a couple movies a month on Starz anyway. Other than that I want more HDTV but the channels I want aren't available yet or show limited HD broadcasts, ( I am talking to you ESPN and ESPN2). Old monster movies in HD just doesn't make me long for E*'s bad interface, bad equipment and poor customer service. Channels like FX, SciFi, USA, History Channel, and Comedy Central would be intriguing but they don't exist for anyone with a dish or cable making most of the arguments moot when it comes to HD availability.

richard_rd said:

That may be the case today, but where will they stand next year when D* has all of their new satellites up and running? I can't see changing over today because they have a few more then than D*, then wanting to change back in another 6 or 8 months, when D* has more. As far as the VOOM looping channels, after a month you have seen about everything they offer, with very little new content. Nice to see once, but how many times can you watch the same program?

I want to see as many HD stations as possible, like everyone else, but we have to give D* the chance to make good on their promise for 2007. People are jumping all over D* because they are CURRENTLY behind on the HD race, but they have been saying all along, that they will add plenty of national HDs in 2007, when they have all of their new satellites in place. No room for it until that time.

slimoli said:
I envy you. I can't watch D* in SD any longer on my 73" TV. Tomorrow I will have cable installed and hope the picture can be much better. I can't have Dish here in South Florida because I have no East view (61.5) and the 129 is a no-no. I had Dish before and with the new DVRs it became a no brainner.

So how's cable look on your 73" Mits?

Status
Please reply by conversation.